[comp.sys.amiga] Name for Amiga U**X

malibo@arizona.edu (Rob McConeghy) (03/24/88)

In article <8803222026.AA06299@abde.berkeley.edu>, CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:

> after all if you're to be running AMIUNX <------- My nominaaion for the
>                                                    name of the new unix...

I would vote for the name AMIX myself if there were to be an election.
It's easier to say and easier to spell. Of course, that name may already
be taken by some other thingie.

==

thad@cup.portal.com (03/26/88)

`AMIX' is a trademarked product of another company "producing" a UNIX
SysV kernel that operates on the Amiga.  After receiving dealer price
sheets and other stuff several months ago, and after repeated non-response
to my phone calls, I have to conclude AMIX is pure vapor.

`AMNIX' is another trademarked UNIX kernel (more likely just a set of
UNIX-like utilities) offered by another company advertising in the Amiga
"press".

Vapor == Blowin' in the Wind == Passing Gas   phew!   :-(

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/29/88)

can't Commmodore just call it Unix?

stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (03/31/88)

> can't Commmodore just call it Unix?
----------

No.  AT&T will license the software, but they won't license the name.
If a computer vendor wants to refer to there operating system, then
they will have to come up with their own name to call it by.
The only exceptions to this are Microsoft and Sun.  Microsoft struck
a deal with AT&T where Microsoft hands over some Xenix features and
AT&T hands over the name.  As far as I can tell, Sun uses it because
there marketing department is brash and will do anything that they
can continue to get away with.

Mike Stroyan

P.S. These opinions are my own until a lawyer calls.  Then they're line noise.

dvw@sp7040.UUCP (David V. Wilbur) (04/02/88)

In article <37581UH2@PSUVM>, UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
> can't Commmodore just call it Unix?

OH NOOOooooo!  Call your lawyer quick!!  Methinks I hear the tread of...
can it be...  SATAN??  no it's just AT&T.  You are absolutely forbidden
to use the U-word without stating that it is a trademark of AT&T (that's
why you will see it referenced as UN*X).  Even if you are licensed to
have the source code and can sell the OS built by that code, you cannot
call it UNIX* (oops, I said it).

*UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.

By the way, please don't think that my opinions (or any opinions for
that matter) belong to my employer (and I don't work for AT&T).  Thanks.

Dave Wilbur

--
What? Me worry?

Dave Wilbur  (You don't really expect me to tell you where I work, do you?)
..{ihnp4,hpda,seismo}!sp7040|dvw

celerity@bucasb.bu.edu (Roger B.A. Klorese) (04/10/88)

In article <5500014@hpfcdc.HP.COM> stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) writes:
>> can't Commmodore just call it Unix?
>
>No.  AT&T will license the software, but they won't license the name.
>The only exceptions to this are Microsoft and Sun.  Microsoft struck
>a deal with AT&T where Microsoft hands over some Xenix features and
>AT&T hands over the name.  As far as I can tell, Sun uses it because
>there marketing department is brash and will do anything that they
>can continue to get away with.

Sun's operating system is called "SunOS", not UNIX.  You may use the
U-word in describing your operating system, as long as you use it as
an adjective, say yours is derived from AT&T's, and show their trademark.

Also, certified ABI (application binary interface) implementors may call
their products "UNIX", which explains why Motorola, Intel, and Sun will
likely do so.  I *know* that MIPS will be permitted to do so for its
kernel when the AT&T/MIPS ABI is finalized...