[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA Keyboard Buffer

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (04/07/88)

I tried posting this question on Amiga/Tech but the only response was Email
that the question didn't belong there but rather here.  I don't quite
understand that judgement yet since there is plenty of programming going on in
a techinical area instead of programming and plenty of current events going on
here instead of Amiga stuff...  I personally have a "local" problem with how
to edit the news group header... perhaps that contributes to posting to to
many groups?  O.K., here is the keyboard question:

If I doze off while reading some of these exciting posts and wake up only to
find my finger pushing down the spacebar I have successfully loaded up the
Amiga's keyboard locally and can't stop the bit stream (until all the spaces
in the buffer are used up).  This has happened twice and I have hung-up twice
to avoid loosing out.  IS THERE any way to reset the buffer, or empty it?  And
if not presently, could something be devised, i.e., is it possible?  No, DEL
did nothing.  The bit stream kept on coming non-stop.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) (04/08/88)

In article <3194@gryphon.CTS.COM>, bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:

> If I doze off while reading some of these exciting posts and wake up only to
> find my finger pushing down the spacebar I have successfully loaded up the
> Amiga's keyboard locally and can't stop the bit stream (until all the spaces
> in the buffer are used up).  This has happened twice and I have hung-up twice
> to avoid loosing out.  IS THERE any way to reset the buffer, or empty it?  And
> if not presently, could something be devised, i.e., is it possible?  No, DEL
> did nothing.  The bit stream kept on coming non-stop.
>
> Bill

     A simmilar thing has happened to me many times.  I have preferences set
up for a maximum key repeat speed.  This works just great for CLI and other
programs, but when I use one of the slower word processors, it causes all
kinds of problems.  Often have I held down the backspace key to delete a
sentence, only to watch in horror as it continues to backspace over three pages
of text after I release the key.  Now, I think that dynamically allocated
buffers for I/O are just great, but there should be a way to limit
it for the keyboard.  A limit (perhaps user definable through preferences)
of about 100 characters should be sufficient for a keyboard.
I would think it would be a rare occurance for a user to need to buffer up
over 100 keystrokes (certainly not a 1000 or more) before they are processed.

Rich Champeaux
Clemson University

P.S.  This problem also causes sudden deaths when playing Hack.

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/08/88)

In article <3194@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>If I doze off while reading some of these exciting posts and wake up only to
>find my finger pushing down the spacebar I have successfully loaded up the
>Amiga's keyboard locally and can't stop the bit stream (until all the spaces
>in the buffer are used up).  This has happened twice and I have hung-up twice

My guess is that the problem has nothing to do with your Amiga, but
rather is a symptom of what your host is doing with all of the spaces
that it has received. You need to be able to tell it "whoa! flush your
input buffer! Interrupt! Ignore!"  With the right operating system,
and with the right news software, ^C will accomplish this. Otherwise,
too bad. (I.e. maybe hanging up is the *only* answer! Check with a local
guru who knows your host system.)

>I tried posting this question on Amiga/Tech but the only response was Email
>that the question didn't belong there but rather here.

Since you phrased it as a technical question about flushing the keyboard
buffer, clearly the person emailing you was in error...personally I
thought it was quite appropriate, as phrased. Your current message
is aimed more at the problem itself, and less on your proposed solution,
and so I think comp.sys.amiga happens to be the right place for *it*,
since apparently the problem (and solution) aren't technical issues.

Furthermore, someone *did* post a technical response to your question
in comp.sys.amiga.tech (which argues for some patience in waiting).

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

agollum@engr.uky.edu (David Herron aka Admiral Gollum) (04/09/88)

At what level are these keystrokes buffered?  If you switch windows,
or clikc on the workbench screen (say), do these buffered keystrokes
follow you or continue to feed to the window that was active? Could
someone from CATS answer this?  (I'd experiment, but I'm not at home
with the Amiga right now).

Kenneth Herron

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) (04/10/88)

In article <8458@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> doug@eris.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
>In article <3194@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>>If I doze off while reading some of these exciting posts and wake up only to
>>find my finger pushing down the spacebar I have successfully loaded up the
>>Amiga's keyboard locally and can't stop the bit stream (until all the spaces
>>in the buffer are used up).  This has happened twice and I have hung-up twice
>
>My guess is that the problem has nothing to do with your Amiga, but
>rather is a symptom of what your host is doing with all of the spaces
>that it has received. You need to be able to tell it "whoa! flush your
>input buffer! Interrupt! Ignore!"  With the right operating system,
>and with the right news software, ^C will accomplish this. Otherwise,
>too bad. (I.e. maybe hanging up is the *only* answer! Check with a local
>guru who knows your host system.)

As it happens, this is a good supposition.  The specific solution is to
fall asleep while pressing on DEL.  After enough DELs are received, the
nasty old bits will stop flowing.  Note this is a system specific solution
that applies to the system on which Bill reads the news.

>>I tried posting this question on Amiga/Tech but the only response was Email
>>that the question didn't belong there but rather here.
>
>Since you phrased it as a technical question about flushing the keyboard
>buffer, clearly the person emailing you was in error...personally I

No.  The person emailing was not in error.  There are over 50 Amiga
users on the BBS that Bill is using, including the emailer.  This
question could have been easily dispatched locally without bothering
the net at all by posting it to the LOCAL Amiga group first.  I would
guess from reading the justifications for creating the .tech group that
if you're not prepared to pull out your C compiler or assembler to act
on the response to a question, that the question is not "technical"
within the meaning of the group.
--
Greg Laskin  greg@gryphon.CTS.COM    <any backbone site>!gryphon!greg

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (04/10/88)

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) writes:

>No.  The person emailing was not in error.  There are over 50 Amiga
>users on the BBS that Bill is using, including the emailer.  This
>question could have been easily dispatched locally without bothering
>the net at all by posting it to the LOCAL Amiga group first.  I would
>guess from reading the justifications for creating the .tech group that
>if you're not prepared to pull out your C compiler or assembler to act
>on the response to a question, that the question is not "technical"
>within the meaning of the group.
>--
>Greg Laskin  greg@gryphon.CTS.COM    <any backbone site>!gryphon!greg

So, technical in nature means programming to most people even though there is
a .programming group?  Well, at least we are "getting" to the bottom of this
problem.  I realized at the time that a local section might know the answer to
any given question but never considered it improper to use the net or "bother
the net".  I tried to discern the specific purpose of the .tech group and
could not find anything definitive so I tried.  I know a user who finds it too
intimidating/complex to post at all but reads all the Amiga info.  Are you
sure the purposes of the group discussions are clearly defined?  BTW, I know
that Greg is the Sysop of pnet02 and I am not trying to be in conflict with
him on this.  Cross posting seems far more dangerous.