[comp.sys.amiga] Mac II, Amiga

jesup@pawl16.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (03/20/88)

In article <8609@g.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>The funny thing is, the Mac started out as an inferior machine, but
>because of a wonderful effort by Apple, it made it into a lot of people's
>hands.  The Amiga was just the opposite.  Now, of course, the Amiga
>has been leapfrogged by the MacII.  This doesn't bother me.  But what
>happens when someone comes out with a cheap '020 Graphics workstation with
>Unix and far better graphics for about the price of an Amiga 2000? Looks
>like I'll be selling out, that's what.

	Better get ready to make a quick turn around.  Commodore announced
the Amiga 2500UX in Hannover last week, with 68020, 68881, 68851, 32-bit ram
(I think 2-4 Meg), System V release 3 compatible, high-speed windowing
system, and I think a non-interlaced version of the custom chips (no more
flicker!)  I wouldn't be suprised if it supports the A2024 (the 'hedley'
monitor - 1008x800 grey-scale, which should be out relatively soon).

	I think (though I'm not sure) it is supposed to be out this year,
with the 68030-based Amiga 3000 scheduled for 1989.

>***  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/24/88)

In article <560@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP writes:
>In article <8609@g.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>><edited severely>
>	Better get ready to make a quick turn around.  Commodore announced
>the Amiga 2500UX in Hannover last week, with 68020, 68881, 68851, 32-bit ram
>(I think 2-4 Meg), System V release 3 compatible, high-speed windowing
>system, and I think a non-interlaced version of the custom chips (no more
>flicker!)  I wouldn't be suprised if it supports the A2024 (the 'hedley'
>monitor - 1008x800 grey-scale, which should be out relatively soon).
						^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Relatively to what Randell ??? :-)

I wouldn't count on it - my information is that the 2024 is a ways
off. Commodore hasn't yet settled on the tube they're gonna use. The
prototypes have all been of the 13" or so flavor - they'd like to do a
16" (maybe Sony has something to help here), which would be a big win in
my book. Can't have less than that to do serious work at the higher
resolutions - it's the same size as the smallest monitor offered by Sun.

The new custom chips will not be available till 1.4 comes out since
they require new support in Intuition and the graphics library..

Personally, I don't know how smart it was for Commodore to make these
announcements. They're too full of confusing signals - when will they
learn not to say anything vague about upcoming products or products
that aren't yet available???

If the A2500 is just an A2000 with an A2620, A2090A and A2286, then
Irving should have explicitly said this at the press conference (all
my sources tell me that this is really the case). Even so, the whole
thing probably should have been done after the DevCon - the products
won't be shipping till well after it anyway.

>	I think (though I'm not sure) it is supposed to be out this year,
>with the 68030-based Amiga 3000 scheduled for 1989.
>
>>***  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
>
>     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
>    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
> \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
>  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup
>
>(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

Eric Lavitsky

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/05/88)

I read a blurb about the new Amiga 68020 box shown in Hannover.
Sounds neat.  Let's hope that this goodie is less vaporous than the
VME bus contraption shown by the Tramiel Bros. (Atari).  But then,
I am still waiting to see a real live Atari Laser Printer for the
1040 :-).  Now there is Real Vapor.

--Bill

crgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (04/06/88)

In article <1080@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> I am still waiting to see a real live Atari Laser Printer for the
> 1040 :-).  Now there is Real Vapor.

 Although I loathe Atari I have seen the Atari Laser printer. It was at a local
Atari/Commodore store hooked up to a Mega ST.  It requires some type of
interface BOX to connect, not just a cable, and it is terribly slow. I printed
a single page from the WP running (not sure what it was) and I walked away
after staring at the PRINTING dialog box for 5 minutes thinking that the
printer wasn't hooked up, but later I walked back to find the single page I
requested sitting in the printer's tray.
Rob Gabbard                               |    UUNET: uunet!sdrc!crgabb
Workstation Systems Programmer            |    PHONE: (513)576-2600
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation  |

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (04/09/88)

crgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) writes:

> Although I loathe Atari I have seen the Atari Laser printer. It was at a local
>Atari/Commodore store hooked up to a Mega ST.  It requires some type of
>interface BOX to connect, not just a cable, and it is terribly slow. I printed
>a single page from the WP running (not sure what it was) and I walked away
>after staring at the PRINTING dialog box for 5 minutes thinking that the
>printer wasn't hooked up, but later I walked back to find the single page I
>requested sitting in the printer's tray.

Are you sure the printing delay was caused by the laser printer or WP?  I have
encountered long print delays when I used WP to my MX-80.  I think WP is so
powerful it is very slow doing some things.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (04/11/88)

In article <1080@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>I read a blurb about the new Amiga 68020 box shown in Hannover.
>Sounds neat.  Let's hope that this goodie is less vaporous than the
>VME bus contraption shown by the Tramiel Bros. (Atari).  But then,
>I am still waiting to see a real live Atari Laser Printer for the
>1040 :-).  Now there is Real Vapor.
>
>--Bill

Here in Sweden (and Germany and the rest of Europe, I think),
Atari have been selling the Laser Printer for quite some time.

It seems to work well, black printing instead of Apple LaserWriter-
grey, but a little slow.

I could get 3 1040 ST's and 2 Atari Laser Printer for the same price
as 1 Laser Writer (3 + 2 = 1) before Apple introduced their new
"low-cost" laser printer. (I don't know if Apple is shipping it yet)

I liked my 520 STM, I like my A2000 better.

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (04/12/88)

In article <1080@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>But then,
>I am still waiting to see a real live Atari Laser Printer for the
>1040 :-).  Now there is Real Vapor.

Not quite RSN-Breath, a local store does have the Atari laser printer on
display. Now whether it's in stock is another question.

*** mike ***

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"After all, isn't our only real purpose in life merely to make the person