[comp.sys.amiga] Apple Challenges HP New Wave, MS-Windows, Potentially OS/2

Jinfu@cup.portal.com (03/23/88)

I have a good idea for Ford to make some extra money, sue all
the car makers for 'look and like' if a product has four
wheels and a steering wheel.

Jinfu@cup.portal.com

Seriously, I am writing a letter to Apple and threatens them
none of business purchase under my influerence will not have
any connection with Apple.

Martin_J_Brown-Jr@cup.portal.com (03/26/88)

Has anybody heard the slightest peep out of Xerox on the suit? If Apple has
a license from Xerox, and Xerox doesn't particularly care for Apple's actions
couldn't Xerox just license the same stuff to everybody who wanted it? Did
Apple get an exclusive license?
                                 - Martin Brown -
                        PORTAL: Martin J Brown-Jr
                         PLINK: MJB
                           BIX: mbrown

asg@pyuxf.UUCP (alan geller) (03/30/88)

In article <4041@cup.portal.com>, Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:

> I have a good idea for Ford to make some extra money, sue all
> the car makers for 'look and like' if a product has four
> wheels and a steering wheel.
>
> Jinfu@cup.portal.com
>
> Seriously, I am writing a letter to Apple and threatens them
> none of business purchase under my influerence will not have
> any connection with Apple.

Ford doesn't have a copyright on the automobile -- and if they
did, it would have expired by now !! :-)

By the way, I hope that you realize that you're threatening
Apple that all of your business purchases will have some
connection with Apple?

But really -- it's important to keep in mind that companies
have to attempt to enforce their copyrights in order to
maintain ownership of those rights.  If you write a book,
copyright it, and then let someone else make thousands of
bootleg copies without suing them for infringement, then it
can be argued that you have implicitly placed your book in
the public domain.  Thus, even if Apple isn't really certain
about Windows and so forth, they HAVE to sue now, in case
someone (IBM Presentation Manager?) comes out with a clear
copy later on.

Alan Geller
Bellcore

My employer has no knowledge of my opinions.  Often, I don't, either.

Robert_C_Tellefson@cup.portal.com (04/12/88)

>As far as Apple using the suit to simply create FUD (Fear, Uncertainty
>and Doubt) in the minds of IBM and HP developers, I should point out
>that this is one of the first look-and-feel lawsuits where the defendant
>has the resources to defend itself in a lengthy court battle.  Most of
>the other cases have been big company vs. little company suits, such as
>Lotus vs. Paperback Software, or Apple vs. Digital Research, where the
>smaller company had to settle simply because it couldn't afford to
>fight.

Mostly true.  Paperback Software has not settled with Lotus.  This suit
is currently active.

Robert 'Bob' Tellefson           uucp:  tellefson@cup.portal.com
RCT Design                 Compuserve:  73417,545
                                Genie:  R.TELLEFSON
                                Voice:  (408) 749-9826