[comp.sys.amiga] 2500 series

gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) (03/26/88)

Hi,

     If the 68020 is going to be on the main board that means that it will
have to access true 32bit memory to even take advantage of the speed... unless
... C-A said that IT WOULD cost less than a mac //.... well a 2000 turned into
a 2500AT would coust about....

 A2000- $1500
 A20286- $2000 Approx.
 A2090- $350
 C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.
    thats about $5800

    (please correct me)

A Mac //- costs about 4500 with grAphics card.. so why doesn't everyone scrap
their machines for the newer ones???????????

                       Greg Beckham
the origin?atomic?fate?^!syn.guru!

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (03/29/88)

In article <2733@crash.cts.com> gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:
>... C-A said that IT WOULD cost less than a mac //.... well a 2000 turned into
>a 2500AT would coust about....

> A2000- $1500
> A20286- $2000 Approx.
> A2090- $350
> C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.
>    thats about $5800

>    (please correct me)

OK.

If you want to compare it to a Mac II, subtract that $2000 for the
A20286 card.  The $4500 Mac II doesn't include MS-DOS compatibility.

>A Mac //- costs about 4500 with grAphics card..

Let's see... $3800 is less than $4500 last I checked.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (04/02/88)

gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:
>well a 2000 turned into a 2500AT would coust about....
>
> A2000- $1500
> A20286- $2000 Approx.

$2000?!?  More like $500-$700, I would imagine.  '286s just aren't
 that much more expensive than 8088s any more - look at the AT
 clones for less than $700 now.

> A2090- $350

> C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.

Again, I would expect less than $1000.  I don't see why C/A's board
 should be more expensive than CSA's.

>    thats about $5800

Or, in my figures, about $3500, MUCH lower than your estimate, and
 cheaper than a Mac II to boot.

>    (please correct me)

You're welcome.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (04/02/88)

In article <8181@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
> In article <2733@crash.cts.com> gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:
> >a 2500AT would coust about....
>
> > A2000- $1500
> > A20286- $2000 Approx.
> > A2090- $350
> > C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.
> >    thats about $5800
>
> Eric Kennedy
> ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

Is this a legitimate approximate price of the A20286? It sounds rather high.
I had assumed it was going to be more like $800-1000. If it is this high I can
get a good AT clone and 2 A500's instead.

Does anybody know any more about when this is coming out?

				    Thanks,

FILLER

MORE FILLER

MORE FILLER
--
"Don't quote me on this!"                      Michael Figg
					       DLA Systems Automation Center

hbo@hub.ucsb.edu (Howard Owen) (04/03/88)

In article <848@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:
			.
			,
>> C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.
>
>Again, I would expect less than $1000.  I don't see why C/A's board
> should be more expensive than CSA's.

   I'd buy the A2620 in an instant if it weighed in under $1000. I'm afraid the
"2-4 megs" of 32 bit RAM might push the price a considerable distance over that
figure, however. Personally, I'm hoping for "under $1500."

--
Howard Owen, Programmer/Analyst             PHYSNET/HEPNET/SPAN:  SBPHY::HBO
Physics Computer Services                   internet: hbo@sbphy.ucsb.edu

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (04/05/88)

In article <848@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>> C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.
>Again, I would expect less than $1000.  I don't see why C/A's board
> should be more expensive than CSA's.

Hmmm, let's see ....

	1) Numeric processor and MMU.

	2) 2/4 M 32bit memory

	3) It will probably work.

Sounds like pretty good reasons to me.

>Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/07/88)

 In article <194@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
 >In article <8181@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
 >> In article <2733@crash.cts.com> gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:
 >> >a 2500AT would coust about....
 >>
 >> > A2000- $1500
 >> > A20286- $2000 Approx.
 >> > A2090- $350
 >> > C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.
 >> >    thats about $5800
 >Is this a legitimate approximate price of the A20286? It sounds rather high.
 >I had assumed it was going to be more like $800-1000. If it is this high I can
 >get a good AT clone and 2 A500's instead.

No, it isn't, you're right.  I forgot to add the disclaimer that says...

---disclaimer---
  These are hypothetical numbers only, and someone else dreamed them up
anyway.

My sole point was you can't compare the cost of a Amiga 2500AT with a
MAC II, because a 286 coprocessor board must be bought separately for
the MAC II, and the price of the 2500AT includes it.

As other people have pointed out, I wouldn't be surprised if a 2500AT
_still_ costs less than a MAC II, even without a 286 board.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

In article <8409@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>As other people have pointed out, I wouldn't be surprised if a 2500AT
>_still_ costs less than a MAC II, even without a 286 board.

This is no great surprise. Looking at todays L.A. Times, I can find 8
Maserati's, each costing less than a Mac ][ with a color card.

--
                     Bill me. Clear my sinuses.
   richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                  rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (04/13/88)

in article <848@gethen.UUCP>, farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) says:

> gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:
>>well a 2000 turned into a 2500AT would coust about....

>> C-A 68020 Board- $2000 approx.

> Again, I would expect less than $1000.  I don't see why C/A's board
>  should be more expensive than CSA's.

The MMU's there for one.  And you don't get your 2 or 4 meg of memory for
free, either.  Though I suspect the A2620 will come out very competative
with what the CSA board and 2 or 4 megs of 32 bit wide memory goes for.

> Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy