[comp.sys.amiga] PVA beats MACII

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (03/26/88)

At a recent MACshowoff, I found that the MAC II has 16 million colors,
and a resolution of 640x480.  BUT an unexpanded M2 can only display
16 colors at a time.  You have to buy a VIDEO CARD to give you 8 bit
planes for 256 at one time.
I feel that 320x400 with 4096 colors at one time looks at better.
And now the PVA graphics card for the A2000 gives 24 bitplanes (at, I
assume 640x400 or higher in overscan), so then the Amiga can display
ALL YES ALL 16 million colors at once.|_
What's the point?  With cards, the MAC II costs 2 times the Amiga.
-------
    ____  _   __  __   __                             \Marc Rifkin    \
   /   / /|  /_  /   / \    of \      /                \R38@PSUVM.EDU  \
  /---  /-| /__ /_/ /  _\       \\  //                  \132 Beaver Hall\
 /    \                          \\// E R T E C H  , Inc.\Univ. Park, Pa.\
        "No Matter Where You go,  \/  --=======--         \16802          \
         There You Are." -BB & MM                          \814-862-6892   \

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph Piazza) (03/26/88)

In article <37323R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>At a recent MACshowoff, I found that the MAC II has 16 million colors,
>and a resolution of 640x480.  BUT an unexpanded M2 can only display
>16 colors at a time.  You have to buy a VIDEO CARD to give you 8 bit
>planes for 256 at one time.

	All the Mac 2's VIDEO CARD needs is are some new ram CHIPS giving
you 8 bits where there were only 4.  NOT an entire additional card.

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs		UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu	GE: jmpiazza

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (03/27/88)

In article <37323R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>And now the PVA graphics card for the A2000 gives 24 bitplanes (at, I
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What is this? I have never heard of this beast! Who makes it?
Uh, how much $$$$ ?

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (03/28/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on linus (berkeley-unix)

In article <37323R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:

> And now the PVA graphics card for the A2000 gives 24 bitplanes (at, I
> assume 640x400 or higher in overscan), so then the Amiga can display
> ALL YES ALL 16 million colors at once.|_

I never heard of this "PVA" graphics card.  Can anyone post some more
detailed info on it?

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (03/28/88)

Ok, as far as rumors wash on my shore, PVA looks like this:
2 boards, one in video slot, one in an expansion slot
Developed by NYIT
Contains: FRAME GRABBER, GENLOCK, FRAME BUFFER (24 bitplanes (16mil colors))
Price about $800|
Looks to me to be in same order as Video toaster by NewTek
-------
]Please excuse any temporal discrepencies with what I say...
]...My temporal perception has discrepencies.

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/30/88)

In article <37323R38@PSUVM>, R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
> And now the PVA graphics card for the A2000 gives 24 bitplanes (at, I
> assume 640x400 or higher in overscan), so then the Amiga can display
> ALL YES ALL 16 million colors at once.|_

Does it support Intuition?
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (03/31/88)

In article <37435R38@PSUVM>, R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
> Ok, as far as rumors wash on my shore, PVA looks like this:
> 2 boards, one in video slot, one in an expansion slot
> Developed by NYIT
> Contains: FRAME GRABBER, GENLOCK, FRAME BUFFER (24 bitplanes (16mil colors))
> Price about $800|
> Looks to me to be in same order as Video toaster by NewTek

Not clear.  The Video-Toaster version that I've seen demo'd (I don't think
NewTek has decided just what all will end up in the marketed product), had
considerable on board *processing* capabilities, for doing various video
effects (wipes, fades, pixelizations, surface mapping, replication, montage
like effects, etc).

They also said they'd be offering some additional add-ons, including one
with the TI graphics processor chip (TMS?????), that would be programmable
by the applications s/w.

The PVA sounds very good, and I'd like some more info.  Who can I contact?
Also, can it be put into a "FlickerFixer" mode (i.e., can it be used as a
deinterlacer/scan-doubler)?

See!  I *knew* there weren't enough slots in the 2000!  Anyone working on an
outboard expansion chassis for Amy (ASDG ?)

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

miner@dino.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) (04/08/88)

In article <37323R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
>At a recent MACshowoff, I found that the MAC II has 16 million colors,
>and a resolution of 640x480.

>And now the PVA graphics card for the A2000 gives 24 bitplanes (at, I
>assume 640x400 or higher in overscan), so then the Amiga can display
>ALL YES ALL 16 million colors at once.|_

I am afraid you are comparing apples to oranges.  The MAC II frame buffers
are used as display replacements.  The entire MAC interface runs on these
cards - windows, menus, ...  The PVA will be used as a video peripheral
providing GenLock, digitizing, and frame buffer capabilities.  It can not
be directly used as a "true color" workbench environment.  Anyone have a
portable, retargetable graphics.library ?
--
Rich miner@dino.ulowell.edu   617/452-5000x2693   UL-CPE Imaging Research Lab

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (04/12/88)

In article <1962@dino.ulowell.edu> miner@dino.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) writes:
>In article <37323R38@PSUVM> R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) writes:
[wasted stuff about PVA vs. Mack Two graphics ]
>I am afraid you are comparing apples to oranges.  The MAC II frame buffers
>are used as display replacements.  The entire MAC interface runs on these
>cards - windows, menus, ...  The PVA will be used as a video peripheral
>providing GenLock, digitizing, and frame buffer capabilities.  It can not
>be directly used as a "true color" workbench environment.  Anyone have a
>portable, retargetable graphics.library ?

Just wait til 1.4 (1.5? 1.XXX). Such a beast is in the works "reported a
highly placed Amigazoid source" at a BAADGE meeting from a few months ago.
I can't name the source, but he answers to "duck".

*** mike ***

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"After all, isn't our only real purpose in life merely to make the person

miner@dino.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) (04/14/88)

In article <7254@ames.arpa> (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>In article <1962@dino.ulowell.edu> miner@dino.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) writes:
>> Anyone have a portable, retargetable graphics.library ?
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Just wait til 1.4 (1.5? 1.XXX). Such a beast is in the works "reported a
>highly placed Amigazoid source" at a BAADGE meeting from a few months ago.
>I can't name the source, but he answers to "duck".

I have talked to Dale about the graphics libraries, and his ideas for hooks to
make them more extensible.  I am under the impression that current work loads
have moved this work into the not yet scheduled future.  Additionally, we need
access at a higher level then the previously discussed bliter hooks (i.e. to
take advantage of hardware ellipse capabilities).  Finally, since we will have
hardware RSN I need another solution.

We will probably implement a low-level driver for the board and an X-V11
driver.  This can tie into Dales X implementation and provide quickly
demonstratable applications.  Comments?

Having a compatible graphics.library for our card is still the long term goal.
This would, however, require an aggressive top-down attack.

--
Rich miner@dino.ulowell.edu   617/452-5000x2693   UL-CPE Imaging Research Lab