[comp.sys.amiga] Scientific Graphing

In article <8656@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> (Doug Merritt) replies:
>No, although I've seen a number of mediocre ones.

Have either of you looked at Doug's Math Aquarium? It has a really stupid
name but is capable of graphing just about any function in 1 or 2 variables
you can think of. With the new 1.3 printer drivers the plots look pretty
decent as well. Now if I could convince them to plot to Fast memory for
*really* high resolution stuff.

As for data plotting with things like error bars and such have you
checked out the Gnuplot stuff? It is around (probably in the source
archives at uunet?) and seems to handle a lot of ones data plotting needs.

--Chuck McManis

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/14/88)

In article <49387@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <2574@utastro.UUCP> (Ras Scot) writes:
>>Also, has anyone found some good scientific graphing programs?
>
>In article <8656@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> (Doug Merritt) replies:
>>No, although I've seen a number of mediocre ones.
>
>Have either of you looked at Doug's Math Aquarium? It has a really stupid
>name but is capable of graphing just about any function in 1 or 2 variables

I've got it, but maybe I haven't played with it enough...It didn't
look as if it were capable of the generality that you're claiming.
I'll have to fiddle with it some more, perhaps.

However, I would expect a "good scientific graphing program" to allow
me to work with complex valued functions, and this is not supported
by D.M.A. Furthermore, due to the small number of limits on various
aspects of doing user-defined functions, it's not generally possible
to fake it, either.

Also there should be a way to feed data points into it and have them
plotted. D.M.A. simply is not designed to do this, nor a multitude
of other things you'd want for *general* purposes.

BTW I actually *like* Doug's Math Aquarium for the narrow purposes
it's intended for...think of it as a programmable Mandelbrot program
with a few extra features, and it does fine.

>As for data plotting with things like error bars and such have you
>checked out the Gnuplot stuff? It is around (probably in the source
>archives at uunet?) and seems to handle a lot of ones data plotting needs.

Has someone ported Gnuplot to the Amiga yet? I sort of assumed it
was Sun oriented or something equally almost-but-not-quite-useful.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug