[comp.sys.amiga] Uniform namespace

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (04/13/88)

In article <900@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Let's not pull a System V and start adding new namespaces all over creation.

Oh, like sockets, message ports, device names lists :-)

Seriously, has anything since system 3 had a uniform, "one name namespace"?
Even C has gotten variables and structure/typedef names seperate.

				Michael
p.s. I like a unform name space. I prefer AmigaDos's forest to unix's tree.
I just wish it was easier to get a list of the top level tree's.
--
: Michael Gersten          uunet.uu.net!ucla-an.ANES\
:				 ihnp4!hermix!ucla-an!denwa!stb!michael

In article <10183@stb.UUCP>, michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
> In article <900@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Let's not pull a System V and start adding new namespaces all over creation.

> Seriously, has anything since system 3 had a uniform, "one name namespace"?

No, that's the point now, isn't it?

> p.s. I like a unform name space. I prefer AmigaDos's forest to unix's tree.
> I just wish it was easier to get a list of the top level tree's.

Back when Matt first posted his sample device driver I got all excited and
ambitious and posted a message saying I was going to do a DEV: device that
would root all those names into a tree. Never happened. Then someone else
got the bug, but he never did it either. If I was only independently wealthy,
and could do this stuff full-time.

The idea's still out there.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter