[comp.sys.amiga] How to be duped by someone you should trust!

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (04/13/88)

To The net in general I am sorry that I fell for this IDIOTS sense of
Humor. I feel real bad since this was my first posting and to have
this happen makes me wonder if I will read this net any more. I was going
to e-mail my responses but felt that this S*B should be raked over the net
for this insanity. He has tarnished the reputation of what I felt was
one of the larger more respected users groups.

	Again, I apologize for rattling the net with what I thought was
good, no GREAT, news for the Amiga.

In article <4164@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> fools@siberia.edu writes:

>I feel as though it is time to reveal what has become known as "the
>greatest mystery of the year."  As many of you have guessed by now,
>the Amiga 3000 showed at the San Diego Amiga Users Group April
>meeting was part of perhaps the largest April Fools joke ever
>enacted (at least using the Motorola family of microprocessors).

The time to reveal this kind of IDIOT joke was at the end of the
meeting! Your are an irresponsible IDIOT!!!!!!!!

>	First of all, the disclaimers. Nobody in the SDAUG knew
>about the prank except the president (me).  Our friends at CSA also
>had nothing to do with the prank, or the release of any proprietary
>information.  Actually, those involved are proud to have been a part
>of it, and have been known to sporatically erupt into fits of
>laughter ever since that night. Now, onto the receipe.
>
>	Watch local BBS's, Usenet, BIX, and PLink closely. When
>a few soreheads start messing up everyone's fun, call John Foust.
>He'll tell you (after laughing uncontrollably for awhile) to tell
>everybody who got upset to go to hell. Ask him if you can quote him
>on this statement. Dale Luck should be calling about now. Explain

 To both of you stick it where the sun doesn't shine!

>the joke, and send him pictures. Send a letter and pictures to Dave
>Haynie (or whoever else you know) in West Chester. Finally, post this
>message, and don't forget to tell your users group they've been had
>at the next meeting. Remember at Devcon to buy everybody a beer.

 Boy have we been had, Do I hear the word recall?

>P.S. Yes, I'm willing to accept flames from people with no sense of
>humor, but please do not clog the newsgroup. Send your replies to
>shartford@ucsd.edu. Please note that only calm, intelligent mail
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^

boy maybe you should think aboput that word for a while!

>--
>Stephen Hartford              San Diego Amiga Users Group
>shartford@ucsd.edu            P.O. Box 80186, San Diego, CA 92138-0186

 The above left so NO ONE WILL FORGET WHO the IDIOT was!!!!!!

 Monty L.  Saine

 SDAUG is still a good group even though we are led by IDIOTS!!!!!

ugfeldmn@sunybcs.UUCP (Jon Feldman) (04/14/88)

[T.L.E.S.E.F.W.H.N.S.O.H.  So there.]

In article <253@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>To The net in general I am sorry that I fell for this IDIOTS sense of
>Humor. I feel real bad since this was my first posting and to have
>this happen makes me wonder if I will read this net any more. I was going
>to e-mail my responses but felt that this S*B should be raked over the net
>[more insults deleted]

>In article <4164@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> fools@siberia.edu writes:
>>As many of you have guessed by now,
>>the Amiga 3000 showed at the San Diego Amiga Users Group April
>>meeting was part of perhaps the largest April Fools joke ever
>>enacted (at least using the Motorola family of microprocessors).

Hee hee hee ... I kinda liked it, myself.  Lighten up, Monty...  Name calling
isn't gonna get you anywhere around here.  Laughing might.  But who nose? ;-P
It's not such a big deal, and I don't know about others, but I got a big kick
out of it.

>>Stephen Hartford              San Diego Amiga Users Group
> Monty L.  Saine
> The above left so NO ONE WILL FORGET WHO the IDIOT was!!!!!!

Which one?  S'up to the net to decide, eh?

--
Jon Feldman  InterNet:  ugfeldmn@joey.cs.buffalo.edu		      _^--^_
                 uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers,...}!sunybcs!ugfeldmn / .  . \

larryr@sdsu.UUCP (Larry Riedel) (04/14/88)

In article <253@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>To The net in general I am sorry that I fell for this IDIOTS sense of
>Humor.

   Who looks like an idiot?

>I was going to e-mail my responses but felt that this S*B should be raked
>over the net for this insanity. He has tarnished the reputation of what I
>felt was one of the larger more respected users groups.

   I guess we have a large group of sore loser whiners.

>>	Watch local BBS's, Usenet, BIX, and PLink closely. When
>>a few soreheads start messing up everyone's fun, call John Foust.
>>He'll tell you (after laughing uncontrollably for awhile) to tell
>>everybody who got upset to go to hell. Ask him if you can quote him
>>on this statement. Dale Luck should be calling about now. Explain
>
> To both of you stick it where the sun doesn't shine!

   Almost poetic in your eloquence.

>>--
>>Stephen Hartford              San Diego Amiga Users Group
>>shartford@ucsd.edu            P.O. Box 80186, San Diego, CA 92138-0186
>
> The above left so NO ONE WILL FORGET WHO the IDIOT was!!!!!!
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Monty L.  Saine
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> SDAUG is still a good group even though we are led by IDIOTS!!!!!

  The above left so NO ONE WILL FORGET WHO the SORE LOSER was!!!!!!

We aren't all sore losers in SDAUG.  After all, it was an April Fools joke.
And I guess we found one of the Fools, right Monty?  SDAUG is still a good
group even though we can't take a joke!!!!!!

Larry

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (SBCS Systems Staff) (04/14/88)

Listen up folks.  The problem with jokes like the one played out in
San Diego is that you have magazines like Amazing Computing that will
print *any* rumour they hear, without any substantiation at all.  I fully
expect to see an announcement something like the following in next
month's "Rumours":

	Commodore shows A3000 at major West Coast users group.  Also
	announce plans to drop Zorro-II bus, B2000 blah, blah.

The net result is that a lot of hearsay and speculation shuts down
sales of 2000's, and associated peripherals (yes, I am associated with
a peripheral manufacturer).

I really don't want to be a spoiled sport, and hell I like a good April
Fools joke as much as the other guy, but the joke played out in
San Diego is just so much reckless stupidity.  I am surprised that a
group of alleged friends of the Amiga would do such a thing.  Talk
about group intelligence dividing..  Sheesh.

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook
					(& Ameristar)

My but wasn't that a nasty flame.

Adding further to the proof that there are only 3 people in San Diego
with a sense of humor.

And I hear Lyles is about to be repossessed....

--
                  Obnoxious Font Grad Studnet
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                  rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

ma179aav@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Stephen Hartford) (04/15/88)

In article <1142@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (SBCS Staff) writes:
>Listen up folks.  The problem with jokes like the one played out in
>San Diego is that you have magazines like Amazing Computing that will
>print *any* rumour they hear, without any substantiation at all.

Well, that's not our fault now, is it? Sounds like a problem with
the magazine.

>The net result is that a lot of hearsay and speculation shuts down
>sales of 2000's, and associated peripherals (yes, I am associated with
>a peripheral manufacturer).

We weren't the ones who announced the 3000, Irving Gould did that
for us at CeBit. Anybody who could have been swayed to wait for the
3000 would have done so anyways upon hearing Mr. Gould's remarks.
As for your peripherals, I have been informed that indeed the 3000
WILL support the current Zorro II A2000 cards. So why would anyone
refrain from buying cards now?

>I really don't want to be a spoiled sport, and hell I like a good April
>Fools joke as much as the other guy, but the joke played out in
>San Diego is just so much reckless stupidity.
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Isn't e-mail enough for you, Rick? Or did you just learn how to
spell your own affliction?

--
Stephen Hartford   "The A3000 guy"       San Diego Amiga Users Group
shartford@ucsd.edu      ;-)        P.O. Box 80186, San Diego, CA 92138-0186

ugmiker@sunybcs.UUCP (Michael Reilly) (04/16/88)

>Well, that's not our fault now, is it? Sounds like a problem with
>the magazine.
	YOU also must be responsible for your own actions, if they do print
some sort of quip about that, the problem was indirectly caused by you !!!!!
If you cut somebody off on the road (but dont hit them) and they hit a tree, is
it just thier problem, or are you to blame also....

>As for your peripherals, I have been informed that indeed the 3000
>WILL support the current Zorro II A2000 cards. So why would anyone
>refrain from buying cards now?
	YOU intentionally started false rumors, commodore could, (probably with
a good lawyer) try to get a slander suit against you, if they could prove you
had intent to harm thier corporate situation, and it seems alot of people (or
at least rick and I) think you might have, maybe not intentionally though.

>>I really don't want to be a spoiled sport, and hell I like a good April
>>Fools joke as much as the other guy, but the joke played out in
>>San Diego is just so much reckless stupidity.

	I agree, it was semi-humoruos, but you should have told the people in
your users group, and kept it "in the family"
		 A very smart man once said to me " Before you do ANYTHING,
THINK ABOUT IT, and what might happen, if you are going to change lanes on a
highway, think about it for a second, make sure you know what will happen when
you do, if you are going to get married, THINK ABOUT IT for a few months, make
sure you know what you are doing"... I LIVE by that simple rule, it might be
a good idea if next time you want to play a prank on somebody, THINK ABOUT IT..

>>					Rick Spanbauer
>>					SUNY/Stony Brook
					     ^^^^ hey I went there...ugh...
>>					(& Ameristar)
>
>--
>Stephen Hartford   "The A3000 guy"       San Diego Amiga Users Group
>shartford@ucsd.edu      ;-)        P.O. Box 80186, San Diego, CA 92138-0186

						mike

In article <4169@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU| ma179aav@sdcc3.ucsd.edu.UUCP (Stephen Hartford) writes:
|In article <1142@sbcs.sunysb.edu| root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (SBCS Staff) writes:
||I really don't want to be a spoiled sport, and hell I like a good April
||Fools joke as much as the other guy, but the joke played out in
||San Diego is just so much reckless stupidity.
|                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Isn't e-mail enough for you, Rick? Or did you just learn how to
|spell your own affliction?

Well, Rick.  You asked for it.  Why don't you just take it with a laugh :-)
And don't be surprised if developers won't show up any more at your user
group meetings.  You should know why.

-- Marco

P.S.:
I tried to e-mail but the mailer does not recognize your address. Sorry.
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (04/17/88)

[lots of blank lines and hot flames deleted]

In article <2994@sdsu.UUCP> larryr@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (Larry Riedel) writes:
>In article <253@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>>To The net in general I am sorry that I fell for this IDIOTS sense of
>>Humor.

>   Who looks like an idiot?
>We aren't all sore losers in SDAUG.  After all, it was an April Fools joke.
>And I guess we found one of the Fools, right Monty?  SDAUG is still a good
>group even though we can't take a joke!!!!!!
>Larry

Can we go easy on the gentleman who posted his impressions of the now
revealed fake A-3000?  Think for a moment how you would feel if you
were to announce Dewey beating Truman.  Both sides are of this saga are
valid.  One is embaressed for having been fooled.  The other thinks
it's hilarious that some fell for it.   Lets not condem either.  I really
feel for those that fell for the prank.   A jokes a joke.  Let it be.
We need not take sides or name calling.  I don't think that helps anyone.
The natural response to being publicly embarassed is to be mad.  Both at
yourself and as a defensive mechanism, to those who duped you.

Please remember 1000's read this group.  And all posting to it want to
have your respect.  This poor guy might be forever known as the guy
who thought a Mac II was an Amiga.  I can understand his fellings.  Let
just drop it.  The SD-AUG should take care of it internally.

Please don't flame me.  I really do see BOTH the humorous part of this
and the not-so-funny part.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky        .....allegra!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company