[comp.sys.amiga] Lattice 4.0 Problem or bug?

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (04/04/88)

I've been getting this requestor "User Abort Requested" about 30-40% of the
time when I compile with Lattice 4.0 (lc -L filename.c). This requestor jumps
up as soon as I start the compile (If is going to appear at all) and after
clicking on "Continue" goes away without doing any noticable harm except
slight irritation. It seems like this was mentioned briefly in the recent
past but I don't recall any answer. Has anybody else experienced this and
know the answer? I am using an A2000 with an extra 2 megs and everything
in RAM: although this also occured before getting the additional ram.

						Thanks,

"Undectectable bugs don't bother me"

--
"Don't quote me on this!"                      Michael Figg
					       DLA Systems Automation Center

carlson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Richard L. Carlson) (04/16/88)

[I hope I'm not beating a dead horse; I'm 600 messages behind and have to
 trust readnews's telling me there are no other followups]

In article <195@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>I've been getting this requestor "User Abort Requested" about 30-40% of the
>time when I compile with Lattice 4.0 (lc -L filename.c). This requestor jumps
>up as soon as I start the compile (If is going to appear at all) ...

The problem is with the CLI -- if you try to interrupt a running program, and
that program does not properly handle the interrupt, the next program you run
will inherit the interruption flag.  John Toebes recently explained why this
problem can't be solved by causing compiled programs to simply clear these
interruption flags when first starting up:  the program can't tell the
difference between a "leftover" ^C and a ^C typed while the program is being
loaded, and you definitely don't want the latter to be ignored.

By the way, this behavior is not new to Lattice 4.0:  the same thing happened
to me many times with version 3.03 -- except that that version didn't have
the nice "user abort" requesters; programs simply quit immediately without
explanation.

I'm curious, though ... it seems all of the complaints about this have come
from Lattice users -- does Manx default to not handling ^C interruptions? or
clear out the interruption flags when a program first starts to run?

  -- Richard
    carlson@ernie.berkeley.EDU
    ...!ucbvax!ernie!carlson

Chad_The-Walrus_Netzer@cup.portal.com (04/18/88)

  I've just checked, and it seems Manx 3.6a flushes the buffer upon startup.
You have to do the Control-C while it is running...

                                                Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer
                                                AmigaManiac++

"God uses ONE Amiga to run all the Universes."
"I think ours had a GURU number 00000008."