[comp.sys.amiga] The Big April/Amiga Fool's Day joke

boblind@percival.UUCP (Bob Lindstrom) (04/16/88)

In article <5690@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>[ To the President of the San Diego Amiga User's Group: ]

(A pretty funny message about incurring Leo's wrath...)

I'm not going to have the class and temperance that Leo displayed.

I flatly think that letting this stupid users' group practical joke get
beyond the walls of the club was irresponsible. Haven't we got enough
misinformation circulating about the Amiga? Doesn't the press have a low
enough opinion of the immaturity of the Amiga market? ISn't there enough
legitimate info to pass on the net without bloating the bandwidth with
silly gags?

You have to admire (and I do admire) the thoroughness with which this hoax
was prepared but I am disgusted by the ego-serving carelessness of those
involved in letting their prank spread throughout the country and, perhaps,
around the world.

Way to go guys (yawn)...

I say, banish everyone involved in this dumb joke to the Valley of the Lepers
(ever seeBen-Hur?) and make them drink Mountain Dew for the rest of their
unnatural lives.

--
| Troutdale Shrine of Computing       **   Bob Lindstrom, perpetrator      |
|     "What doesn't kill me"          **   UUCP:percival!boblind           |

crgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (04/18/88)

In article <1207@percival.UUCP>, boblind@percival.UUCP (Bob Lindstrom) writes:
> I flatly think that letting this stupid users' group practical joke get
> beyond the walls of the club was irresponsible. Haven't we got enough
> misinformation circulating about the Amiga? Doesn't the press have a low
> enough opinion of the immaturity of the Amiga market? ISn't there enough
> legitimate info to pass on the net without bloating the bandwidth with
> silly gags?

  I'd like to add that letting such a prank outside of the user group's walls
was a big mistake unless the intent was to harm CA.  It was a well played
prank, one that deserves merit - however the truth should have been revealed
before anyone could have gotten out of the door to spread the word.  In the
market that Commodore's in, such clamor can only wreck havoc on an
already sensitive Amiga campaign.  Furthermore, if Commodore was as uptight
as Apple I believe some legal action could have been taken.

Rob Gabbard                               |    UUNET: uunet!sdrc!crgabb
Workstation Systems Programmer            |    PHONE: (513)576-2600
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation  |