[comp.sys.amiga] I want an AMIGA/SMD interface too.

gsarff@ssdis.UUCP (gary sarff) (04/18/88)

I would like to find out about possibilities of SMD interface to Amiga too.
Don't have the other persons message who also asked about this on hand.  Not
that I'm really optimistic about success, but I've got these 3 Fujitsu 474MB
Eagle drives sitting here with 2.8 Meg/sec transfer rates.  ho hum.

--
Gary Sarff           {uunet|ihnp4|philabs}!spies!ssdis!gsarff
To program is human, to debug is something best left to the gods.

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (04/18/88)

I believe that Emulex, among others, has a SMD SCSI disk controller.  This is
probably the most straightforward way to connect some eagles to your Amiga.

I wish I had problems like this.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

In article <126@ssdis.UUCP> gsarff@ssdis.UUCP (gary sarff) writes:
>I would like to find out about possibilities of SMD interface to Amiga too.
>Don't have the other persons message who also asked about this on hand.  Not
>that I'm really optimistic about success, but I've got these 3 Fujitsu 474MB
>Eagle drives sitting here with 2.8 Meg/sec transfer rates.  ho hum.

There are several ways to interface SMD hard disks to the Amiga, some more
expensive than others, all of them more expensive than SCSI disks.

Preferred method : Buy an Ameristar ethernet board and a used Sun 2/170. Using
the Sun SMD interface connect to the disks, install UNIX, and then using
NFS mount the SMD drives on the Amiga. (poof)

Secondary method : NCR makes a SCSI to SMD interface. Talks SCSI on
one side and SMD on the other. Mount that in a box with a power supply
and connect it to a SCSI controller on the Amiga. You may need to write
a driver for this configuration.

Third method : Take the SMD drive to a swap meet and swap it for a SCSI
drive of similar capacity. :-)

--Chuck McManis

pjm@lznh.UUCP (<10000>Paul Maioriello) (04/19/88)

NCR also sells SMD to SCSI adaptors.  I looked into them once when
I had access to some spare eagles.  Let me warn you however;
Be prepared to fork over some major coinage.

Later,
Paul Maioriello
lznh!pjm