[comp.sys.amiga] 5 finger trick and other junk

doug@eris (Doug Merritt) (04/13/88)

In article <2574@utastro.UUCP> sjk@utastro.UUCP (Ras Scot) writes:
>As a new netter here, I have a few questions after reading the past couple
>hundred entries.  One, what is the alt-alt-shift-shift-insert a disk trick?

This is what I originally called the "Five Finger Trick" (although a
photo that Marnix van Ammers sent me demonstrates conclusively that
it should be called the Four-Finger-Book-In-Mouth-Trick). First click
and activate the Workbench screen, and then leave the pointer on the
Workbench title bar *without clicking* there. (These first two steps
are the ones most easily forgotten or confused).  Now hold down right-shift,
right-alt, left-shift, left-alt, and one of the function keys 1 thru 10
(the latter is what may call for the book-in-mouth-disease). Each function
key gives credits for the various Amiga developer teams.

Now insert a disk (with a foot or via great digit dexterity); you get
a championship message. Finally (you've been patiently holding all
five keys down all this time), do the "six finger" or "middle finger"
trick: press down right-amiga with a sixth finger, and pop the disk
back out again, and you get the middle-finger message.

The disk-insertion order can be inverted; i.e. it's not important
whether you first insert and then eject, or first eject and then insert.

Does anyone know what the 1 pixel gadget near the date in Preferences
is for? Contrary to postings, it's not necessary for the click-the-
images-of-the-mouse-buttons-four-times-sequentially-left-to-right-
and-then-scroll-to-the-end-of-the-list-of-printers trick.

>What is the current rumor about WB 1.3?

There've been a *lot* of recent postings about this. See Sentry magazine,
April issue, for details. If you mean "when will it be released", naturally
no one knows since that hasn't been announced. But pretend it's May 13,
and quote that widely, since you wanted a rumor. :-)

>And what is a B2000?

It's the most recent and most widely shipped revision. Early models
that went to developers and retail displays were A2000's.

>Also, has anyone found some good scientific graphing programs?

No, although I've seen a number of mediocre ones.

	Doug Merritt		doug@mica.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!mica!doug)
			or	ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (04/14/88)

In article <8656@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) writes:
>[...]
>Does anyone know what the 1 pixel gadget near the date in Preferences
>is for? Contrary to postings, it's not necessary for the click-the-
>images-of-the-mouse-buttons-four-times-sequentially-left-to-right-
>and-then-scroll-to-the-end-of-the-list-of-printers trick.

Contrary to popular belief this gadget has no purpose whatsoever.  Nor does
it have anything to do with any hidden messages.

--
	Eric Cotton
	Commodore-Amiga

  *======================================================================*
 *=====     UUCP: {rutgers|ihnp4|allegra}!cbmvax!eric                =====*
*=====      FONE: (215) 431-9100                                      =====*
*=====      MAIL: 1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA 19380          =====*
 *=====     PAUL: "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."         =====*
  *======================================================================*

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (04/17/88)

[ line eater snack ]

In <3629@cbmvax.UUCP> (Eric Cotton) writes: (about the hidden gadget in
                                               preferences)
>Contrary to popular belief this gadget has no purpose whatsoever.  Nor does
>it have anything to do with any hidden messages.

It may not do anything, but it apparently does have a purpose, intended or
otherwise. After clicking on it, if you then start changing the date with the
mouse, the months work strangely.

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (04/20/88)

In article <1716@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <3629@cbmvax.UUCP> (Eric Cotton) writes: (about the hidden gadget in
>                                               preferences)
>>Contrary to popular belief this gadget has no purpose whatsoever.  Nor does
>>it have anything to do with any hidden messages.
>
>It may not do anything, but it apparently does have a purpose, intended or
>otherwise. After clicking on it, if you then start changing the date with the
>mouse, the months work strangely.

Okay, okay.  So I gave a half truth.  What Larry says is true.  I looked in
to this before and concluded that when Prefs was in its infancy (ie. in
development) the designers had planned on two select-gadgets each for
months, days, years, hours, and minutes.  They soon realized that having
two gadgets for the month was unnecessary.  But instead of deleting the
gadget from the gadget list they concealed it instead.  As you have seen,
it was not hidden well :-)  Needless to say it is not in V1.3 Preferences
(and you might notice a few other gadgets missing as well).

--
	Eric Cotton
	Commodore-Amiga