[comp.sys.amiga] vi?

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (04/06/88)

Apologies up front -- I _know_ that this was discussed a month or so ago...
I didn't think I'd care at the time, and it is now 8000 or so messages back
in the active file, so give me a break....

I'm becoming something of a vi user these days.  I know that a couple
of people mentioned vi's available for Amy.  Could folks who know email
me info about it(them)?  (I seem to recall at least two different
places, but I don't remember any more) and how fully compatible it is
with the "official" Berkeley version, if you happen to know.  Much
thanks!!!
   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Labs, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

In article <23029@bbn.COM| cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
|I'm becoming something of a vi user these days.  I know that a couple
|of people mentioned vi's available for Amy.  Could folks who know email
|me info about it(them)?  (I seem to recall at least two different
|places, but I don't remember any more) and how fully compatible it is
|with the "official" Berkeley version, if you happen to know.

MANX C comes with Z, a vi-like editor.  It is not PD, though.

-- Marco

uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (04/19/88)

In regard to a 'vi' lookalike (aside from the commercial 'Z' that
comes with the Manx C compiler), I seem to recall something about
the "uedit" shareware editor (fish disks #60 [v2.0] and #121 [v2.3])
having a set of vi-emulation macros written for it. Uedit appears
to be a very powerful and highly customizable editor. The Fish
disk I just checked, #121, does not have any vi macros (or "config
files") on it. You get more stuff when you become a registered
user of this shareware; it may be that would include a set of
vi macros, too.

If anyone knows more about this, I'd be interested to hear.
Disclaimer: I've never even used uedit (I'll try it one of these
days).

rhuffman@aa.ecn.purdue.edu (Rodney L Huffman) (04/20/88)

>the "uedit" shareware editor (fish disks #60 [v2.0] and #121 [v2.3])
>having a set of vi-emulation macros written for it. Uedit appears
>to be a very powerful and highly customizable editor. The Fish
>disk I just checked, #121, does not have any vi macros (or "config
>files") on it. You get more stuff when you become a registered
>user of this shareware; it may be that would include a set of
>vi macros, too.
>
>If anyone knows more about this, I'd be interested to hear.

As a registered user, you would receive a (small) variety of configurations
for emulating various popular editors/wordprocessors.  vi is included.
HOWEVER, the vi configuration is public domain, written by Eric Kennedy,
and is probably available on a number of BBSs (It's on PeopleLink, for
sure.)  Eric has done a nice job with vi.  It's not a complete emulation of
the UN*X version, though.  It doesn't have :map or :ab.  However, :map-type
macros can be generated with the underlying Learn-mode in Uedit.  I suspect
that boilerplate (:ab) could be done also, but I haven't dug into it enough
to be able to say for sure.  There are things available in the Uedit/vi
combo that aren't available in UN*X vi, like columnar editting (how many
times have you wanted to pull out just *that* column of data?) and
numerical functions (well, *I* never figured out how to get vi to do it
:-).

I might add that Uedit/VI! uses menus and the mouse, as well as all of the
usual keystrokes.  It has a nice help file that can be called upon to
explain key definitions.  As you might have guessed, I like it.

Disclaimer: I'm a registered user of Uedit and I wish everyone would buy
it and give my serial number, but then there's always the lottery...:-):-)

--
Rod Huffman               rhuffman@ecn.purdue.edu
Agricultural Engineering, Purdue University

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/21/88)

In article <4618@cup.portal.com> doug-merritt@cup.portal.com writes:
>In regard to a 'vi' lookalike (aside from the commercial 'Z' that
>comes with the Manx C compiler), I seem to recall something about
>the "uedit" shareware editor (fish disks #60 [v2.0] and #121 [v2.3])
>having a set of vi-emulation macros written for it. Uedit appears
>to be a very powerful and highly customizable editor. The Fish
>disk I just checked, #121, does not have any vi macros (or "config
>files") on it. You get more stuff when you become a registered
>user of this shareware; it may be that would include a set of
>vi macros, too.

Correct, however the VI! config (I know, tacky name...) is freely
redistributable.  You can get the latest VI! and latest shareware Uedit
by mailing a disk and SASE or $3 (US funds, please) to me:

Eric Kennedy
300 N. Dithridge St. Apt 301
Pittsburgh, PA  15213

The emulation includes (virtually) all movement commands; all
delete, replace, insert, change, and substitute commands; 26 user buffers
a-z; 10 delete buffers; full undo and redo commands;  some limited
extended commands;  ctags;  yank and put;  26 markers a-z; @x macros;
and will soon have boilerplate :ab capability.  Add this to Uedit's 100
text buffers, multiple windows, learn mode, programability, etc., and
you've got a pretty powerful editor.  Witness the fact that I wrote this
emulator _after_ getting Z.  Nothing wrong with Z, but I wanted to keep
the power of Uedit, and use vi commands, too.

Before getting requests to email this stuff, I'm afraid I can't do that.
VI! + Uedit is huge:  > 500K uuencoded.  I just can't be sending that
all over the world.

>If anyone knows more about this, I'd be interested to hear.
>Disclaimer: I've never even used uedit (I'll try it one of these
>days).

Hopefully soon.  :->

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

In article <180@aa.ecn.purdue.edu> rhuffman@aa.ecn.purdue.edu.UUCP (Rodney L Huffman) writes:
>>the "uedit" shareware editor (fish disks #60 [v2.0] and #121 [v2.3])
>>having a set of vi-emulation macros written for it. Uedit appears
>>to be a very powerful and highly customizable editor. The Fish

>As a registered user, you would receive a (small) variety of configurations
>for emulating various popular editors/wordprocessors.  vi is included.
>HOWEVER, the vi configuration is public domain, written by Eric Kennedy,

Well, you're close... It is copyrighted, but is freely redistributable.

>and is probably available on a number of BBSs (It's on PeopleLink, for
>sure.)

Or directly from Rick Stiles if you register, or directly from me--see
my previous post.

>Eric has done a nice job with vi.

Thank you.

>It's not a complete emulation of
>the UN*X version, though.  It doesn't have :map or :ab.

I have boilerplate (:ab) abbreviations working now, just need to
integrate them into the vi environment.  If you send me a disk now, you
will get the :ab stuff.

>However, :map-type
>macros can be generated with the underlying Learn-mode in Uedit.

Yeah, those are tough.  I'm working on them, but I suspect any solution
will require compiling Uedit commands, which means you would have to be
a registered Uedit user to use that feature.  Look for them in the next
major version, hopefully out with Uedit 2.4 at the end of the summer.

>Disclaimer: I'm a registered user of Uedit and I wish everyone would buy
>it and give my serial number, but then there's always the lottery...:-):-)

Ditto on the disclaimer.

>Rod Huffman               rhuffman@ecn.purdue.edu
>Agricultural Engineering, Purdue University
                           ^^^^^^

Eric Kennedy          Materials Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                      /
                                                     /
 But I'd _MUCH_ rather be back at Purdue -----------/