[comp.sys.amiga] Transformer with 3.5" disks?

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers.) (04/19/88)

   Can the Amiga Transformer run an IBM program off of a 3.5" disk?   I
wanted to know if Turbo Pascal would run.   I don't have the 5 1/2, but
my friend does.   Could you do a copy from the amiga 5 1/2 to the Amiga
3.5?  Also, would an original version of Transformer work on an Amiga 500?

						Thanks,
                                                    --Rob.

Robert Silvers.
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(617) 452-8823 Rm. 322     "Live free or live in Massachusetts."

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (04/20/88)

The transformer works fine with 3.5" disks, when you assign them via
SETATPREFS or so.  However there is a limitation in that the transformer
BIOS only knows about 360K formats.  If you format a 3.5" disk, it will
format it for that amount, just as it would a floppy.  You can get someone
with the appropriate IBM system to format one as 720K and you can read/write
to it fine, but cannot copy it.
I have an Amiga 500 and the transformer works fine.  But, I have applied
an uncountable number of PD patches to it so I don't know if the original
works.
I also have a 1020 5.25" disk drive, and I would be glad to sell it to you
(or anyone) for use with the transformer and amigados. I used to be an avid
transformer'er, but without color or graphics, and reasonable speed, it
isn't worth it for me.  Sure you could probably get PASCAL to run, but
it would be TURTLE PASCAL instead of TURBO.  Still, there is *ONE* important
reason why I still use the transformer-  IT DOES WORK.  Especially when
I am dealing with IBM's, and yes, I can play ROGUE.
Well, later |
-------
]Please excuse any temporal discrepencies with what I say...
]...My temporal perception has discrepencies.

    ____  _   __  __   __                             \Marc Rifkin    \
   /   / /|  /_  /   / \    of \      /                \R38@PSUVM.EDU  \
  /---  /-| /__ /_/ /  _\       \\  //                  \132 Beaver Hall\
 /    \                          \\// E R T E C H  , Inc.\Univ. Park, Pa.\
        "No Matter Where You go,  \/  --=======--         \16802          \
         There You Are." -BB & MM                          \814-862-6892   \

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/21/88)

Yes, Transformer, the orginal version, will work with the 3.5 inch
disks.  To get all 80 tracks, you must use IBM DOS 3.2 and set up
your CONFIG.SYS file to load DRIVER.SYS device driver with the
appropriate parameters for a 3.5 inch drive.  Get a duly licensed
copy of DOS, and consult the manual's appendix on CONFIG.SYS.
Eventhough transformer doesn't promise that it will work with DOS
3.2, it seems to be OK.  3.2 is the only way to get 80 tracks from
the 3.5 inch drives.  If you use DOS 2.11, you can still use the
3.5 inch drives, but they'll only format to 360K.

I don't know if the original transformer will work on the Amiga
500; I haven't tried it yet.

--Bill

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (04/21/88)

In article <6331@swan.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers.) writes:

>   Can the Amiga Transformer run an IBM program off of a 3.5" disk?   I
>wanted to know if Turbo Pascal would run.   I don't have the 5 1/2, but
>my friend does.   Could you do a copy from the amiga 5 1/2 to the Amiga
>3.5?  Also, would an original version of Transformer work on an Amiga 500?

  Yes Transformwr will run (boot) from 3.5" or 5.25". I have never tested Turbo
  Pascal so I cant say. Transformer reads, writes, and formats MS-DOS disk(s) -
  not Amiga formated disks. So if you can transfer the software from 5.25" to
  3.5" - then yes it will work. Finally, don't even mess with the original ver-
  sion, just take that disk (original label of course) down to your local Amiga
  dealer for a FREE upgrade to the new version.

  Of course you know that MS-DOS, Transformer, and most other programs are
  copyrighted and that...... Well you get the idea :-)

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net