[comp.sys.amiga] Cheap Hard Disks for A2000.

ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) (04/19/88)

	First of all, I'd like to thank anybody who answered my question
on window refreshing.  I tried responding personally to those people, but
all of my mail bounced...

	Anyway, I know this has been asked a billion times, but I'm going to
ask it again.  I would like to a buy a relatively cheap h.d. for my 2000
(Under 700, hopefully) that will support the new fast file sytem.  Could
anybody please e-mail me some suggestions?  Thanks.  BTW, has anybody
tried Pacific Perifrials SCSI interface?  It retails for $249, and is alot
cheaper than the CBM alternative.

						Alexander Hinds

BITNET:A_HINDS@HVRFORD
USENET:ahinds@hvrford

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (04/19/88)

In article <419@hvrunix.UUCP> ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) writes:
>BTW, has anybody
>tried Pacific Perifrials SCSI interface?  It retails for $249, and is alot
>cheaper than the CBM alternative.

Let's see, I paid about $349 for the A2090, and it does ST506 and SCSI.  And
I know that the fast file system will work with it.

Cheaper is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (04/20/88)

Can somebody tell me how many HDisks the A2090 can support?  Also what are
some cheap prices on SCSI compatible 50 meg harddrives?

Thanx in advance.

backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

uzun@wolf.UUCP (Roger Uzun) (04/20/88)

Well you purchased the a2090 instead of the pacific peripherals card
I have used both and a few facts are in order

1) Pacific Peripherals card allows each and every partition to be
   FFS format, A2090 does not.
2) Pacific peripherals card will auto boot with ROM revision
   A2090 will not to my knowledge
3) Diskperf with the Old File system showed Pac Peripheral card to
   be faster.
4) The A2090 card held the reset line low on power up until a
   BindDrivers call was made resulting is slight compatibility
   problems for some SCSI disks (eg had to warm boot them since the
   drives would not spin up until reset line went high)

Based on my experience I would recomend the pacific peripherals board
but it has 2 major drawbacks

1) When doing large block xfers it raises the interrupt level to like
   5 or 6 for long periods of time resulting in lock out of serial
   port and keyboard devices.  This will be fixed soon they say by
   a slightly slower device driver that does not have this problem.

2) It will only support SCSI drives so even though you save $$ on the
   Controller you may not save $$ in the long run.

In the end you must decide, if it were me right now I would probably
wait and see what the HardFrame Card from Microbotics will look like.

-Roger

In article <18700029@silver> backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>Can somebody tell me how many HDisks the A2090 can support?  Also what are
>some cheap prices on SCSI compatible 50 meg harddrives?

I believe the numbers are two (2) ST506 compatible drives and seven (7)
SCSI drives. Note that the ST506 drives cannot have more than 8 heads
due to some firmware limitations on the card.

As for prices, the price of an imbedded SCSI drive is currently about
$11 to $12 per Megabyte for fast drives (< 30 Msec). Less for slower
drives (>= 40 Msec). So for a 50 meg drive you can expect to be charged
somewhere between 500 and 600 dollars depending on how fast it is.
Note that if you buy Seagate drives they have a slow and a fast version
(usually indicated by -0 (slow) or -1 (fast) after the model number)

--Chuck McManis

jesup@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (04/21/88)

In article <668@wolf.UUCP> uzun@wolf.SanDiego.NCR.COM (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>1) Pacific Peripherals card allows each and every partition to be
>   FFS format, A2090 does not.

	Afraid that's wrong.  If you set up a SCSI disk as unit 0, then it
automounts the first partition of the drive.  If you set it up as SCSI unit 1
or higher, it doesn't automount, so you can use FFS on the whole disk.  For
st506 disks, you are right, however.

>3) Diskperf with the Old File system showed Pac Peripheral card to
>   be faster.

	What conditions?  In particular, same drive, exact same files on
the drives, and in the same places (i.e. unfragmented at start of test, with
the same amount of data)?  Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup
(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

In article <50186@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>As for prices, the price of an imbedded SCSI drive is currently about
>$11 to $12 per Megabyte for fast drives (< 30 Msec). Less for slower
>drives (>= 40 Msec). So for a 50 meg drive you can expect to be charged
>somewhere between 500 and 600 dollars depending on how fast it is.
>Note that if you buy Seagate drives they have a slow and a fast version
>(usually indicated by -0 (slow) or -1 (fast) after the model number)

	Watch out, however: whether the drive is slow or fast (and this only
applies to some of the models, such as the ST157) isn't normally advertised,
and in fact the seller might not even know of the difference (it's apparently
tough to find out without digging what the -0 and -1 mean).

	It's been noted that the 48Meg SCSI ST157N goes for ~$450-$475.  That
might only be the 40ms version, or might not be.  There's also the ST277N,
40ms, 65meg, which sells for ~$550-600.

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (04/21/88)

In article <50186@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <18700029@silver> backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>>Can somebody tell me how many HDisks the A2090 can support?  Also what are
>>some cheap prices on SCSI compatible 50 meg harddrives?
>
>I believe the numbers are two (2) ST506 compatible drives and seven (7)
>SCSI drives. Note that the ST506 drives cannot have more than 8 heads
>due to some firmware limitations on the card.

 You could use 2 2090's if you needed (wanted) access to 4 ST-506 drives.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

In article <3669@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
> You could use 2 2090's if you needed (wanted) access to 4 ST-506 drives.
> Dan "Sneakers" Schein

So Dan are you saying that the driver knows how to handle multiple 2090
boards? (Sounds like it to me.) Could it logically then handle 14 SCSI
drives ? I know someone who could use this information.

--Chuck McManis

gunther@cbmvax.UUCP (Ed Gunther QA) (04/22/88)

In article <50362@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
> In article <3669@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
> > You could use 2 2090's if you needed (wanted) access to 4 ST-506 drives.
> > Dan "Sneakers" Schein
>
> So Dan are you saying that the driver knows how to handle multiple 2090
> boards? (Sounds like it to me.) Could it logically then handle 14 SCSI
> drives ? I know someone who could use this information.

   Yes, you can use upto 14 SCSI drives with 2 A2090 boards.
   ST-506 drives on the second board are referred to as di0: and di1:
   SCSI   drives as di2: through di8:

> --Chuck McManis
> uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@sun.com
> These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.

  __  Ed Gunther            COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
 /        /\                "The LAST line of defense. (PERIOD)"
<    ==  /__\               UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!gunther
 \__    /    \              PHONE 215-431-9356 (life or death only please!)
     "Disclaimer, heck no!  NOooo PROBLEM.  You have myyyy word on it."