[comp.sys.amiga] Computer Chronicles strikes again!

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (04/12/88)

Well, Computer Chronicles put on a perfectly frustrating show this
weekend.  The show was entirely about multitasking.  Multitasking with
OS/2, multitasking with Concurrent DOS 386, multitasking with
Windows/386... you get the idea.

Amiga?  What's that?  Multitasking?  Really?  For nearly three years you
say?  No!

Oh, well, it could be worse.  If I'm not mistaken, they didn't mention
MultiFinder either.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (04/13/88)

In article <8567@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>Well, Computer Chronicles put on a perfectly frustrating show this
>weekend.
[]
>Amiga?  What's that?  Multitasking?  Really?  For nearly three years you
>say?  No!
>
>Oh, well, it could be worse.  If I'm not mistaken, they didn't mention
>MultiFinder either.

Au contraire my dear sir. CruftiFinder was shown in all it's "glory".

"Wow, look how you can load in multiple programs at one, and then switch
between them!!!"

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"After all, isn't our only real purpose in life merely to make the person

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (04/15/88)

In article <8567@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>Well, Computer Chronicles put on a perfectly frustrating show this
>weekend.  The show was entirely about multitasking.  Multitasking with
>OS/2, multitasking with Concurrent DOS 386, multitasking with
>Windows/386... you get the idea.
>Amiga?  What's that?  Multitasking?  Really?  For nearly three years you
>say?  No!

Well, at least they did an entire show on Amiga a while ago.  I was pleased
with that one.  But, I do agree with you that the CC guys are a little
near sighted.  I have the address of the show, you might try writing them
a letter to make them listen.  Here it is:
	Computer Chronicles, KCSM-TV
	Attn: Stuart Chiefet
	1700 West Hillsdale Blvd.
	San Mateo, CA	94402
	(415) 574-6586
I almost seems like this show has intentionally overlooked the Amiga.
Especially, when we see that lonely Amiga in the background of the weekly
software review segment.  A few weeks ago, they did a review of Test Drive,
but they showed the IBM version running, while that poor Amiga was just
sitting there with a 'Software Review' on its screen.
	Computer Chronicles needs to do a show on Desktop Video, or
computer animation, and feature the Amiga.  Maybe they'll get it right
some day.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Weird, the Weird go Professional

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/16/88)

<< Multitask non Amigas >>

Yeah, I'd like to know where the heck the Amiga was on that show --
especially after they did an entire show on the Amiga a few weeks
ago.  I guess they felt that a whole half hour on the Amiga was
sufficient representation for the rest of the season.

I guess it is indicitive of the typical pinstripe computing
prejudice:  The Mac and the Amiga are strictly for artsy-fartsy
individuals, while 80x86 processor based stuff is for what they
consider to be legitimate business.  The Mac probably got passing
mention for multifinder since the Mac runs Excell, a "legitimate"
business program.  Artsy-fartsy individuals, obviously, don't need
multitasking. :-)

As for a point of interest, much to my surpise windows 386 does
work pretty well and does honest multitasking, but it doesn't do
the job well without a PS/2 80, 6 meg of memory and a 70 meg hard
disk.  Alternatively, the Amiga performs pretty well with just two
880K floppies and 768K (256K rom + 512K ram).  I don't know how
much muscle multifinder needs, but I'll bet it isn't as resource -
efficient as the Amiga either.

--Bill

In article <8567@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>Well, Computer Chronicles put on a perfectly frustrating show this
>weekend.  The show was entirely about multitasking.  Multitasking with
>OS/2, multitasking with Concurrent DOS 386, multitasking with
>Windows/386... you get the idea.
>
>Amiga?  What's that?  Multitasking?  Really?  For nearly three years you
>say?  No!
>
>Oh, well, it could be worse.  If I'm not mistaken, they didn't mention
>MultiFinder either.

Of course not. They tried to run hypercard. Oops, it crashed, oh yeah
it doesnt run under MultiFinder. They tried Interleaf. *Pop* Ooops
that doesnt run under MutliFinder either.

hy do you think they call it MF ?
--
4 out of 5 net.goddesses recommend richard for the prevention of tooth decay.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                       rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (04/17/88)

In article <1106@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

><< Multitask non Amigas >>
>... As for a point of interest, much to my surpise windows 386 does
>work pretty well and does honest multitasking, but it doesn't do
>the job well without a PS/2 80, 6 meg of memory and a 70 meg hard
>disk.  Alternatively, the Amiga performs pretty well with just two
>880K floppies and 768K (256K rom + 512K ram).  I don't know how
>much muscle multifinder needs, but I'll bet it isn't as resource -
>efficient as the Amiga either.

	Actually, MultiFinder doesn't require much muscle -- just a LOT of
memory.  On a 1 Meg Mac SE I can run Word 3.01 and Versatrerm 3.0 at the
same time -- but I can't print on a LaserWriter untill I quit from one of
the programs.  Let's see if I can run Handshake and WordPerfect after
turning off my 1 Meg Insider (leaving me with 512K on my 1000) and Facc II ...,
Ooops, OK -- make a temporary directory in RAM:, (just  t r y , doing
that on a Mac :-), load a 19 page document, [additional task switching here],
Oops, no printer driver, ... bail out?  Not yet -- let's try again.  Hung.

	[Reboot here and log back on.  Did I also mention that my Mac has a
20 Meg hard disk but only two floppies on me Amiga?]

	OK, this time I'll have WP be the system disk from the start ...
Loadup that there 19 page paper,  ... there she goes!  Printing that sucker
from a spool file even as I type this on the Vax at work using HandShake.
That temporary directory is back in Ram: too.

	So, I think it's safe to say the Mac SE/Plus with 1 Meg isn't as
resource efficient as the Amiga with 512K.

	Now, let's load up that there HyperCard ...  :->

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (04/19/88)

In article <3364@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Obnoxious font grad studnet) writes:
>In article <8567@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>>
>>Oh, well, it could be worse.  If I'm not mistaken, they didn't mention
>>MultiFinder either.
>
>Of course not. They tried to run hypercard. Oops, it crashed, oh yeah
>it doesnt run under MultiFinder.

Hypercard works fine with MultiFinder on any machine with 1 mb or more.
Of course, with "only" 1 mb, you can't run anything else because HyperCard
is a memory hog.

>They tried Interleaf. *Pop* Ooops
>that doesnt run under MutliFinder either.

Of course Interleaf has lots of other problems on the Mac.  Comes from
not following the interface guidelines.  For example, they don't use the
font manager and so loose a few characters from the fonts.  Useless things
like umlats and such that nobody except Europeons would miss.

>4 out of 5 net.goddesses recommend richard for the prevention of tooth decay.
>richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                       rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (04/19/88)

In article <10249@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
|memory.  On a 1 Meg Mac SE I can run Word 3.01 and Versatrerm 3.0 at the
|same time -- but I can't print on a LaserWriter untill I quit from one of
|the programs.  Let's see if I can run Handshake and WordPerfect after
|turning off my 1 Meg Insider (leaving me with 512K on my 1000) and Facc II ...,
|... [multitasking test deleted]
|	So, I think it's safe to say the Mac SE/Plus with 1 Meg isn't as
|resource efficient as the Amiga with 512K.

While your conclusion is probably correct, the test you performed is
not strictly fair unless your printer is also a LaserWriter or a
printer of equivalent resolution.  I believe these printers require a
substantially large buffer to build their bitmaps into.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

In article <1483@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
I wrote:
>>In article <8567@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>>>
>>>Oh, well, it could be worse.  If I'm not mistaken, they didn't mention
>>>MultiFinder either.
>>
>>Of course not. They tried to run hypercard. Oops, it crashed, oh yeah
>>it doesnt run under MultiFinder.
>
>Hypercard works fine with MultiFinder on any machine with 1 mb or more.
>Of course, with "only" 1 mb, you can't run anything else because HyperCard
>is a memory hog.

Gosh. That nasty old InfoWorld must have lied when they said: "it crashed".
Maybe it was an old version ?

>>They tried Interleaf. *Pop* Ooops
>>that doesnt run under MutliFinder either.
>
>Of course Interleaf has lots of other problems on the Mac.  Comes from
>not following the interface guidelines.  For example, they don't use the
>font manager and so loose a few characters from the fonts.  Useless things
>like umlats and such that nobody except Europeons would miss.

Useless huh ?  Thats almost as funny as having to pay ANOTHER $2500
to get the latest version after you've alredy paid $2500 for the
original version.

So thats what, $15K For a Mac ][, $5K more if you want unix, and $5K
to get a the latest version of some hard to use software.

Computer for the rest of us ? Us what ? Billonaires ?

Just what the world needs, a $25,000 text processor. I sit in awe.

--
   Five tacos, one taco burger. Do you know where the American Dream is ?
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

jesup@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (04/21/88)

In article <3466@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>So thats what, $15K For a Mac ][, $5K more if you want unix, and $5K
>to get a the latest version of some hard to use software.
>
>Computer for the rest of us ? Us what ? Billonaires ?
>
>Just what the world needs, a $25,000 text processor. I sit in awe.

	Interleaf is actually well worth the price for a company in many
cases.  I was part of a group that did a 100+ page report with several dozen
illustrations (some quite complex) using Interleaf on Suns (1's and 2's).
It is NOT just a text processor.  We were going to have the graphics/etc people
do the report, but when we talked to them we showed them our rough drafts,
done in interleaf, and they said that they couldn't come close to matching
the quality of even the rough drafts with their computers/software, and forget
the graphics.

	Of course, we already had Suns on our desks.  Interleaf is NOT for the
home market, or even the small business market.  It's meant for people doing
major (& minor) high-quality reports, papers, and documentation; and it is
wonderful for that, especially at integrating graphics.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup
(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (04/22/88)

>In article <2182@antique.UUCP> Charles Poirier writes:
>In article <10249@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
>|memory.  On a 1 Meg Mac SE I can run Word 3.01 and Versatrerm 3.0 at the
>|same time -- but I can't print on a LaserWriter untill I quit from one of
>|the programs.  Let's see if I can run Handshake and WordPerfect after
>|turning off my 1 Meg Insider (leaving me with 512K on my 1000) and Facc II ...
>|... [multitasking test deleted]
>|	So, I think it's safe to say the Mac SE/Plus with 1 Meg isn't as
>|resource efficient as the Amiga with 512K.
>
>While your conclusion is probably correct, the test you performed is
>not strictly fair unless your printer is also a LaserWriter

	Exactly,  but I didn't have a spare LaserWriter hanging around to
try it on, which is why I mentioned it ...  :-)

>or a
>printer of equivalent resolution.  I believe these printers require a
>substantially large buffer to build their bitmaps into.

	I'm not exactly sure but for the Mac's part most bitmaps are at
regular Mac resolution of 72 dpi.  The full 300 dpi is usually left to the
LaserWriter which is why  i t  is so slow.  I'd like to work on 300 dpi
graphics but it still isn't easy yet.  Also, bit maps are actually very
fast; it's scaling fonts that really makes that sucker grind.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (04/23/88)

In message <2182@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP writes:
>In article <10249@sunybcs.UUCP> jmpiazza@sunybcs.UUCP writes:
>|memory.  On a 1 Meg Mac SE I can run Word 3.01 and Versatrerm 3.0 at the
>|same time -- but I can't print on a LaserWriter untill I quit from one of
>|the programs.  Let's see if I can run Handshake and WordPerfect after
>|turning off my 1 Meg Insider (leaving me with 512K on my 1000) and Facc II ...,
>|... [multitasking test deleted]
>|	So, I think it's safe to say the Mac SE/Plus with 1 Meg isn't as
>|resource efficient as the Amiga with 512K.
>
>While your conclusion is probably correct, the test you performed is
>not strictly fair unless your printer is also a LaserWriter or a
>printer of equivalent resolution.  I believe these printers require a
>substantially large buffer to build their bitmaps into.

Is this true??  I don't think so.  Laserprinters have their own internal
memory buffers for constructing the output.  I don't think the printouts of
our MAC SE to the Laserwriter occupy more memory than is required to send the
proper commands to the printer.  Isn't the Laserwriter postscript compatible
and, therefore, the image is not sent to the printer, just the postscript
commands?

>--
>	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp
>
>   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

"Where nothing can go wrong...  go wrong...  go wrong..."