[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Help! I need an 8520 and all I get is BACK ORDER!!!

frohne@pur-ee.UUCP (Henry R Frohne) (04/23/88)

Commodore!  Someone!  Help!

	A little over 3 weeks ago I blew a 8520 while playing with an external
disk drive.  I promptly contacted my local authorized Commodore service man and
he said that he would order one.  He said it should take about 8 days.  Well 8
days later I called him and he said that his order had come back and my chip was
back ordered.  Since then I have contacted every place I could think of that
might have one and they all give me the same story.  The 8520 is on back order
and it is entirely unknown when they will be shipped.  What is the problem?  Is
it poor yield?  Is it that all the 8520 chips are slated for new Amigas?  Isn't
there some way short of buying a new Amiga 500 that I can get one?  Last time
I needed a Commodore custom chip was when my friend's C64 blew up and the BASIC
ROM was bad.  I promptly burned an EPROM and put it in.  Unfortunately I don't
see an easy way to duplicate an 8520.

	  note!  I AM DESPERATE!!!

				Thanks!
				Rob Frohne

				{ihnp4!,hplabs!}pur-ee!frohne
				US Mail:  1320 Palmer Dr. #311
					  West Lafayette, IN 47906-1815
				Phone: (317) 463-2305 or 494-1185

avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Aaron Avery) (04/23/88)

In article <7979@pur-ee.UUCP> frohne@pur-ee.UUCP (Henry R Frohne) writes:
>Commodore!  Someone!  Help!
>
>	A little over 3 weeks ago I blew a 8520 while playing with an external
Sounds familiar...

>	  note!  I AM DESPERATE!!!

I've got a partially functional 8520 sitting right here I could send you. :-)

This problem is nothing new. I had to wait nearly 3 MONTHS to get the
replacement for that chip. I was lucky, and wasn't relying on my own, personal
Amiga for my livelyhood at that time. But, being a developer, I found the
wait very disheartening, since I could have been suffering financially while
plenty of new 8520's were going out the door in thousands of 500's and 2000's
every day! For your sake, and others, I do hope this situation is cleared up
very soon. Good luck.

--
Aaron Avery (avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu)
	    ({seismo,caip,allegra,harvard,rutgers,ihnp4}!uwvax!puff!avery)