[comp.sys.amiga] commodore confirms and denies Amiga 3000 in same day!

cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) (04/07/88)

Last night at the San DIego Amiga Users Group, representatives from
Commodore showed a prototype Amiga 3000. A prelim version of Workbench2.0
was shown at 640x480 resolution, with 256 colors. (non-interlaced)
They showed several popular Amiga images, and a few others using the higher
resolution. The machine had a 68030, 8 megs of RAM, and was housed in
an Amiga 2000 case, but there was an "Amiga 3000" decal on the front.

I understand from a friend up in Northern CA that Max Toy was the
guest speaker at FAUG last night. According to this friend, Max said
that the Amiga 3000 did not exist yet, and was just an idea being
realized (or something like that). Well, here in San Diego I guess we
were the lucky ones. Apparently these reps had just given a demo to
General Dynamics here in SD, and stopped by the meeting on the way
to the airport.

I can't wait until this machine ships, but I can't help wondering if
it will slow down Amiga 2000 sales in the meantime...

Jay.

In article <474@sdcc15.UUCP> cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) writes:
->Last night at the San DIego Amiga Users Group, representatives from
->Commodore showed a prototype Amiga 3000. A prelim version of Workbench2.0
->was shown at 640x480 resolution, with 256 colors. (non-interlaced)
->They showed several popular Amiga images, and a few others using the higher
->resolution. The machine had a 68030, 8 megs of RAM, and was housed in
->an Amiga 2000 case, but there was an "Amiga 3000" decal on the front.

You sure you didn't sleep throught the meeting and dream this ? :-)
Sorry but I just can't believe some 'Commodore' reps would take a
'prototype' machine, that Commodore itself couldn't display at Hannover
where they announced intentions to work on an '030 box, and display
it to some user group in San Diego. This meeting didn't happen to be
on the 'first of April' did it? I suspect you were the victim of a
practical joke from some engineers at CSA.

--Chuck McManis

perley@einstein.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (04/08/88)

In article <474@sdcc15.UUCP> cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) writes:
>Last night at the San DIego Amiga Users Group, representatives from
>Commodore showed a prototype Amiga 3000. A prelim version of Workbench2.0
>was shown at 640x480 resolution, with 256 colors. (non-interlaced)
>They showed several popular Amiga images, and a few others using the higher
>resolution. The machine had a 68030, 8 megs of RAM, and was housed in
>an Amiga 2000 case, but there was an "Amiga 3000" decal on the front.
>
>I understand from a friend up in Northern CA that Max Toy was the
>guest speaker at FAUG last night. According to this friend, Max said
>that the Amiga 3000 did not exist yet, and was just an idea being
>realized (or something like that).

Are you sure it wasn't a 2000 with an "Amiga 3000" sticker?  In other
words, did you see anything that couldn't have been done with a
flicker fixer (or the already announced enhanced graphics chips), and
maybe the 68020 coprocessor board?  Maybe someone made up a '030
coprocessor board?

If Max Toy is right, than it was more likely a concept model than a
real prototype.

These views are just based on what I've read in this newsgroup, and
what I know of the way sales groups operate.

Now that I've gone and said it might be a fake, can I start drooling
like everyone else?

-Don Perley

cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) (04/08/88)

In article <48779@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <474@sdcc15.UUCP> cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) writes:
>->Last night at the San DIego Amiga Users Group, representatives from
>->Commodore showed a prototype Amiga 3000.
>
>You sure you didn't sleep throught the meeting and dream this ? :-)
>--Chuck McManis
>uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@sun.com

Several people in the group recognized these guys from previous
presentations they made at General Dynamics. They showed Workbench 2.0
running on a high res display! There were writers and photgraphers from
several Amiga magazines there also. It really happened, I've seen pictures
from the meeting and it's just as I remember it :-)

Maybe we should upload digitized versions of the pictures if there's
enough interest. It's an Amiga 3000 alright - the case looks like a
2000 case, but a little longer (supposedly to house the longer boards
or something like that). Really an awesome machine, they had a CD-ROM
hooked up to it earlier and were running anims from a CD-ROM at GD, in
real time! The sun always shines in San Diego.

Oh, and by the way, we're not just "some" users group as you mention!
We've been here since DAY ONE on the Amiga, and are over 400 members
strong! No FAUG to be sure, but the Amiga community in SD is alive and well!

Jay.

In article <476@sdcc15.UUCP> cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans,Jay) writes:
> In article <48779@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
> >In article <474@sdcc15.UUCP> cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) writes:
> >->Last night at the San DIego Amiga Users Group, representatives from
> >->Commodore showed a prototype Amiga 3000.
> >
> >You sure you didn't sleep throught the meeting and dream this ? :-)
>
> Several people in the group recognized these guys from previous
> presentations they made at General Dynamics. They showed Workbench 2.0
> running on a high res display! There were writers and photgraphers from
> several Amiga magazines there also.
>
> Maybe we should upload digitized versions of the pictures if there's
> enough interest. It's an Amiga 3000 alright - the case looks like a
> 2000 case, but a little longer (supposedly to house the longer boards
> or something like that). Really an awesome machine, they had a CD-ROM
> hooked up to it earlier and were running anims from a CD-ROM at GD, in
> real time! The sun always shines in San Diego.

Let's keep the heat down folks.  Just what happened in San Diego is turning
into the mystery of the year.  Whatever this object was that was shown by
"Commodore Reps", it is not the A3000 that Irving Gould mentioned at the
Hannover CeBit show.  If anyone caught some names for the people that
showed it or the writers from the Amiga magazines I appreciate receiving
some mail with the details....

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

jesup@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (04/10/88)

FYI, the general agreement on bix over this supposed showing of the 'Amiga
3000' is that it was actually CSA showing their '030 daughterboard for their
'020 card, along with a MicroWay FlickerFixer.  It might also have been a
dealer who didn't make it obvious exactly what the thing was.  The AmigaDos
2.0 may well have been 1.3Gamma4.

Or maybe it was good ol' Jack T, launching a disinformation campaign :-)

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup
(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

langz@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (04/11/88)

Hi, I tried sending this via a bunch of dofferent paths, but it kept on
bouncing.  Hey everybody, unless you're connected directly to a backbone site,
please supply a path.  Thanks.  And now, on with the letter...

In article <476@sdcc15.UUCP> you write:
>In article <48779@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>In article <474@sdcc15.UUCP> cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) writes:
>>->Last night at the San DIego Amiga Users Group, representatives from
>>->Commodore showed a prototype Amiga 3000.
>>
>>You sure you didn't sleep throught the meeting and dream this ? :-)
>>--Chuck McManis
>>uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@sun.com
>
>Several people in the group recognized these guys from previous
>presentations they made at General Dynamics. They showed Workbench 2.0
>running on a high res display! There were writers and photgraphers from
>several Amiga magazines there also. It really happened, I've seen pictures
>from the meeting and it's just as I remember it :-)
>
>Maybe we should upload digitized versions of the pictures if there's
>enough interest.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE digitize every photo you have and send me
uuencodes via mail.  The comp.{binaries,sources}.amiga groups are down until
further notice, so posting the photos would not be very fruitful, so PLEASE
mail copies to me.  My uucp mail path is below.  I'm ON MY KNEES!!!  PLEASE
do it TODAY!!

On a more serious note, if it's going to cost you, I'll be happy to pay a
reasonable amount to get the photos sent here.  In fact, if you could get
another set of prints made, I'll gladly pay for that in addition to the
digitizations (if I had to pick one, of course I'd prefer prints).  I really
want to present this rumor to the Boston-area Amiga group of which I'm a
member.  If you could get a few of the people from your Users' Group together
to recall what was stated at the demo, an accompanying text file will lend a
lot of credibility to the photos.  But please get me those photos.  Really!

Thanks much!
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu    ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz

Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu    ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz
"To be clever enough to get a great deal of money, one must first be stupid
 enough to want it."   -- G.K. Chesterson

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/11/88)

So this so-called Amiga 3000 prototype machine was sporting a Mac
II monitor with Mac II-like fonts on a markedly different
workbench-like display.

Has the thought crossed anybody's mind that this was an
April-foolie and that the Amiga 3000 was really a wolf (Mac II) in
sheep's (Amiga's) clothing.

I've worked some on a Mac II, and it would be pretty easy to slip
the Mac II motherboard into the B2000 case.

Could this have been Apple sabotage to cause FUD (fear uncertainty
and doubt) in the Amiga community?

--Bill

In article <474@sdcc15.UUCP> cp50@sdcc15.UUCP (Seamans) writes:
>Last night at the San DIego Amiga Users Group, representatives from
>Commodore showed a prototype Amiga 3000.  [ ... ]

	I first thought this was a joke posting, but it was almost
immediately followed by two confirming postings from seperate individuals.

*** WARNING:  YOU ARE NOW ENTERING A FUSION FURNACE.  EXERCISE APPROPRIATE
CAUTIONARY MEASURES. ***

	This has got to be one of the most irresponsible things anyone could
ever do.  I am referring not to the posting but to the showing of this
machine.  I can only think of three possibilities surrounding this machine:

1:	It is a real C-A prototype.
2:	It is a VAR-modified 2000 (could be CSA's).
3:	It is a coordinated joke among members of some unknown group.

	I will now reduce these three possibilities to as many atoms as I
can.

It Is A Real C-A Prototype
--------------------------

	Who were the morons who showed this to the public?  Who hired them?
Have they been caught yet?

	However, a premature showing of the machine is only part of the
problem.

	If this is real, then it indicates to me that the A3000 is closer
than any of us, including me, imagined.  Such a beast shouldn't even be past
the breadboard stage if Commodore is going to do it right.  If they've
already got something running in an A2000 box, then it *IS* a rush job, and
it *WILL* be a mess.

	By having created a prototype so quickly, C-A has not spent the
*REQUIRED* time to ****DO IT RIGHT, FOR A >>CHANGE!!!!<<****.  There are
hundreds of fundamental changes and fixes that MUST be implemented before
Commodore can even BEGIN TO CONSDIER releasing a 68030-based system.  Among
these is throwing out the existing DOS and replacing it with something that
works, and works correctly.  Tim King should be kept as far away from it as
possible.  (An orbit around Jupiter should be about right.)

	If this system is as real as described, then it is TOO SOON.  If my
guesstimates are correct, Commodore should spend AT LEAST 1.5 YEARS
developing just the SYSTEM SOFTWARE for a 68030-based system.  (Of course,
now they have Wesl.... er, Bryce, so you could probably knock off a few
months. :-) )  If they spend less time than this, then it *WILL* BE DONE WRONG.
This is not to say that a 1.5-year development cycle will guarantee success,
but spending any less time will guarantee failure, at least from my
perspective.

	The Amiga is so close to perfect that I *DESPERATELY* don't want to
see it screwed up.  Releasing a 68030-based Amiga before mid-1989 will be
too soon.

	I wouldn't worry about incompatible bus specifications; I trust
Robbins and company to get this part very right.  Any incompatibilities that
may have been talked about are probably true of the prototype.  However,
based on George's postings, I trust him to get the mythical new bus right.

	If anyone wants to know what my personal views on what a future
Amiga should be, I can mail (or post, if so requested) a large-ish document
detailing my views.

	To CATS and Commodore Engineering:  If anyone would like to lay my
fears to rest and detail what the hell is going on, please send me mail.  If
you so request, I will maintain all correspondence in the strictest
confidence.

It Is A VAR-modified 2000
-------------------------

	Who were the idiots who claimed that this was an official A3000?
Have *they* been caught yet?

	I've no idea who might have been going around claiming that this was
an offcial Amiga 3000 prototype, but whoever it was should be flogged.

	If you want to show off an Amiga with an '030 in it, fine.  If you
show off an Amiga 3000, go get a real one from Commodore.

	Just because your configuration may be similar to the proposed Amiga
3000 does NOT give you ANY right to go around calling it an Amiga 3000,
especially in front of dumb users who can't verify whether or not you're
telling the truth.  To falsely push your stuff as the real thing is the
epitome of slimy, not to mention unlawful (would you like me to get the
Federal Trade Commission on your back?).

	Also, consider your market.  If you go around showing off an "Amiga
3000" which is really a 2000 with your mods in it, what do you think is
going to happen to A2000 sales, and hence, your potential market base?  Do
the words, "Shooting yourself in the foot," mean anything to you?

	Actually, if I got you in my sights, I'd aim somewhat higher....

It Is A Coordinated Joke Among Members Of Some Unknown Group

	Who were the twits who thought this travesty up?  Have they been
*shot* yet?

	Look, we all want to see the Amiga boldly go forward ('cause we
can't find reverse :-) ), going where no computer has ever been able to go
before, etc.

	Posting this kind of dreck is not the way to do it.  Again, by
making an announcement like this, you stand a good chance of killing Amiga
sales, since people will now stand around and wait for the A3000.

	Perhaps you wanted to start Yet Another Flame-Commodore-Fest on the
Net.  God knows that we've had enough of these.  Mistakes have been made.
They are in the past.  But starting flames about hardware which DOESN'T EVEN
EXIST YET accomplishes little else than give C-A employees to wonder why
they bother to participate in this forum at all.  "Why should I bother?  I
get lambasted for things I haven't even done yet!!"

	Maybe killing Amiga sales is what you had in mind, in which case,
you should go stand upside-down with your head in a bucket of Piranha fish.

Epilogue
--------

	I want to see the Amiga succeed.  To do so, future generations of
the Amiga must be as well-thought out as the original 1000 was.  Crufting
together a '030-based system in eight months is not properly thinking things
out.  Pre-announcing things doesn't help, either.

	Third-party developers can help the Amiga immensely, provided that
they are ethical (and 99% of them are).

	There's not a lot we can do about the Anti-Amiga conspiracy, except
to persevere.  History will prove that we were right all along.

*** NOTICE:  YOU ARE NOW LEAVING THE FUSION FURNACE. ***

	I'm not really this violent, except for things that I feel strongly
about.  A good example is this brand new animation I've cooked up that's
reminiscent of flying equations on _The Mechanical Universe_....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (04/14/88)

From article <1099@neoucom.UUCP>, by wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew):

> Has the thought crossed anybody's mind that this was an
> April-foolie and that the Amiga 3000 was really a wolf (Mac II) in
> sheep's (Amiga's) clothing.

Did this user's group meeting happen to take place on Friday, April 1st?

This would explain a lot.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (04/24/88)

Crouched, I creep slowly down below the stone wall.  I know he's there,
somewhere.  Cautiously, I place a foot forward where it will give me balance,
perhaps a chance to spring backwards again into the shadows.  Finally, I am
ready.  I swing out, pivoting about my forward foot.  Yikes!   There he is!
So enormous a monster, can he be aware of me?  Silicon tiles rattle upon his
back as he coils and sniffs the air.  He has already caught my scent!  The
tail lashes about, and boulders fly as they were grains of sand.  It's eyes,
glowing with the rudy depth of a black hole, sweep about.  I must get back!
But suddenly the eyes stop, centered on the very ground upon which I stand.
Oh no!  Am I too late?  I drop below a small clinker of fused basalt and
brace myself for what I know must come next.  Hot.  Oh so hot.  Fire is
everywhere.  The sky glows red, then orange, and there is no breath to be
taken.  I must use my sash to beat out the flames seeping into my cryogenic
underwear.  The sky cools.  Sapphires and Rubies precipitate from the fog.
Chunks of Phosphorous plop noisily about.  So those are the three-five
dopants, I say to myself.  What will I do if he goes to Gallium and Arsenic?
I look out again, and there he is!  It is Leo, coiling for another strike!
My God, what brings me to this place?!!!

Now I know the dragon's name.  But what has brought him to such wrath?  What
can happen in the quiet ever-summer of San Diego, what can there be that would
cause such a thing?  Is there something new at the ZOO?  Oh yes.  The CSA dumb
friends league.  They must be responsible.  And they thought they were only
tweaking the April Fool.  Though not CSA themselves, ardent supporters are they
nonetheless.  An 030 in the hand is not 1E6 in the bush.  But time will pass.
And as time passes, likely it is that Commodore marketing will soon enough
come upon the scene, cooling the fires and planting about the trees of careful
justice.  They will feed Leo what he wishes to eat, they will have balm for
my burns.  In the mean time, I need not worry about either CSA, or the CSA
dumb friends league.  Whatever I want from them I can get, be I only willing
to witness the defenistration of my wallet.  But my armour I can keep.  For
with Leo raging about, I shall no doubt need it again...
							Howard Hull
							hull@hao.ucar.edu