[comp.sys.amiga] ByteBandits again

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (04/19/88)

Yet another bad news about ByteBandits Virus !

Starting from a safe machine, running VirusX.
Insert a ByteBandits-infected disk (boot-block presents the infamous message,
and usual symptoms when booting from this disk)
Nothing happens ! (I thought VirusX would show up the 'usual' requester)

BTW, VCheck1.9 detects a non-standard boot-code.

I just wrote a small utility that converts a 1024 bytes file (supposed
to be the image of block 0 and 1) into an AmigaDos executable-file.
(technical details: two hunks : 1 for code and 1 for data -- the first
three longwords on block 0).
This allows you to use Dis or Wack or ... to study any boot-code.

If you're interested, let me know and I will post/mail the sources.
--
*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (04/21/88)

In article <682@inria.UUCP> rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:

>Yet another bad news about ByteBandits Virus !
>
>Starting from a safe machine, running VirusX.
>Insert a ByteBandits-infected disk (boot-block presents the infamous message,
>and usual symptoms when booting from this disk)
>Nothing happens ! (I thought VirusX would show up the 'usual' requester)
>
>BTW, VCheck1.9 detects a non-standard boot-code.

(stuff deleted)

Is VirusX a general virus finder/killer?
I just got a "ByteBandit Virus Killer" program that just looks
for that partical virus in one mode, looks for non-standard
boot blocks in another mode and has an "install" option to write
a new standard boot block to a diskette.

It didn't find any ByteBandits on my diskettes, so I still don't
know if it works.

What exactly does the ByteBandit do, more than freezing the machine?
The information I have read differs from different sources. Will it
eat up data on the hard disk?

dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Phillip Ghormley) (04/24/88)

In article <682@inria.UUCP>, Francois Rouaix writes:
>I just wrote a small utility that converts a 1024 bytes file (supposed
>to be the image of block 0 and 1) into an AmigaDos executable-file.
>(technical details: two hunks : 1 for code and 1 for data -- the first
>three longwords on block 0).
>This allows you to use Dis or Wack or ... to study any boot-code.

>If you're interested, let me know and I will post/mail the sources.

Well, I for one would be interested in seeing this posted.

-Douglas Ghormley
 (dg2l+@andrew.cmu.edu)

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (04/24/88)

In <682@inria.UUCP>, rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>I just wrote a small utility that converts a 1024 bytes file (supposed
>to be the image of block 0 and 1) into an AmigaDos executable-file.
>(technical details: two hunks : 1 for code and 1 for data -- the first
>three longwords on block 0).
>This allows you to use Dis or Wack or ... to study any boot-code.

>If you're interested, let me know and I will post/mail the sources.

Yes... love to see it. Please do post it.

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.