[comp.sys.amiga] To: Daniel Kimberg

davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) (04/25/88)

I tried to mail this, but it bounced.  So, I'm posting it instead.

----------
Subject: File transfer problems
From: texsun!killer!davidg (David Guntner)

Hi Dan,
  I'll try to help you with this.  First of all, does the terminal program that
you're using support one of the file transfer protocols that allow you to
transfer binaries (I.E. XMODEM, YMODEM, ZMODEM, WXMODEM, etc.)?  If not, you'll
never be able to transfer them to your computer from your UNIX host, in which
case I recommend that your first move be to get a terminal program that supports
some of these protocols (I use OnLine!, myself).  Assuming that you can do one
of these protocols, I'll go on from here.  For one thing, make sure that you
call your host while set at 8N1 parity (don't call at 7E1 and switch - it may
be what's messing you up).  What program are you trying to run on the host to
transfer the files?  The one I use over here on killer is sz.  It supports
XMODEM, 1K XMODEM, YMODEM, YMODEM batch, & ZMODEM.  Quite a handy program!
Check to see if your host has sz, and if so, use it.  If you don't have it, I
believe that I can get my hands on the source code for it here (I'll have to
check with my SysAdmin, but I think that we do have it over here - we support
anon. UUCP (don't get it confused with ftp!) here, so we SHOULD have it! 8-]),
and I would be happy to mail it to you if your SysAdmin would like it.  Hope
this helps.  Good luck!
                          --Dave

--
David Guntner  UUCP: {ihnp4, codas}!killer!davidg  INET: davidg@killer.UUCP

"...Different ship, but she's got a good name.  Treat   --Admiral L. McCoy
 her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."   "Encounter at Farpoint"