[comp.sys.amiga] How to get video signal from MacII?

[ Article originally appeared on comp.graphics. ]

In article <1022@luth.luth.se> Lars-Gunnar Taube <taube@luth.luth.se> writes:
>There are some guys here that have made animations with
>VideoWorks, and they want to do a rock video of it.
>
>Now for the big question...
>
>I think I've seen this mentioned somewhere, but:
>
>Is it possible to extract video from the MacII (Apple card)
>and record it on a VHS recorder? If so, how?

	Sell off the Mac-II, and use the money to buy yourselves a killer
Amiga system (Amiga 2000, CSA or Ronin 14 MHz 68020 card, 2 Megs of RAM, 60
Meg hard drive, DeluxePaint, Aegis Animator, Aegis VideoTitler, VideoScape-3D,
Sculpt/Animate-3D, SuperGen genlock) for something around $6000.  Then plug
the output of the SuperGen into your VHS recorder, or any other standard
video device.  PAL-compatible Amigas and genlocks are commonplace.

	By moving to the Amiga, you'll be entering a more mature software
market.  The chances of finding the software you want to do something are
higher in the Amiga market than they are *currently* in the Mac-II market,
simply because we've been around longer.  And it'll be cheaper to boot.

	Poof!

[ If you insist on keeping the Mac-II, I am led to understand that there are
vendors who make Mac-II graphics cards that output NTSC video.  They aren't
cheap, though.  I'm not sure if PAL versions are available. ]
Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (04/13/88)

In a recent article Leo Bols writes:
>[ Article originally appeared on comp.graphics. ]
>In article <1022@luth.luth.se> Lars-Gunnar Taube <taube@luth.luth.se> writes:
>>There are some guys here that have made animations with
>>VideoWorks, and they want to do a rock video of it.
>>Is it possible to extract video from the MacII (Apple card)
>>and record it on a VHS recorder? If so, how?
>>
>	Sell off the Mac-II, and use the money to buy yourselves a killer
>Amiga system [...]

Getting a Mac II to output interlaced at NTSC frame rates is purely a
software problem; I have sent source in C and a Pascal-like language and
a binary to the person who asked originally.  The output is still RGB
(or G only + control panel set to b&w == b&w composite), so you'll need
something to convert RGB to Composite Color.

The signal is overscanned and good enough to record on a VCR.

Note that VideoWorks is a Macintosh product: given that they want to tape
something that is already done, telling them to use the Amiga isn't much help.

-Eric

	    "We're writing tomorrow's software yesterday."
Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

In article <4366@husc6.harvard.edu| olson@endor.UUCP (Eric K. Olson) writes:
|In a recent article Leo Bols writes:
||[ Article originally appeared on comp.graphics. ]
||In article <1022@luth.luth.se| Lars-Gunnar Taube <taube@luth.luth.se| writes:
|||There are some guys here that have made animations with
|||VideoWorks, and they want to do a rock video of it.
|||Is it possible to extract video from the MacII (Apple card)
|||and record it on a VHS recorder? If so, how?
||	Sell off the Mac-II, and use the money to buy yourselves a killer
||Amiga system [...]
|
|Getting a Mac II to output interlaced at NTSC frame rates is purely a
|software problem; I have sent source in C and a Pascal-like language and
 ^^^^^^^^
|a binary to the person who asked originally.  The output is still RGB
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^
|(or G only + control panel set to b&w == b&w composite), so you'll need
|something to convert RGB to Composite Color.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yea, and you are going to do that in SOFTWARE, right?  You seem to have
missed Leo's point.  To convert your "data" (not signal, see later) to
composite you need a piece of HARDWARE for the Mac II, and currently
that will cost you BIG BUCKS while on the Amiga it comes for FREE.

|The signal is overscanned and good enough to record on a VCR.
     ^^^^^^
A "signal" is NOT a piece of software.  A signal is a hardware concept.

Good luck with recording on your VCR with your software composite Mac II :-)

-- Marco
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

In article <4366@husc6.harvard.edu> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric K. Olson) writes:
->Getting a Mac II to output interlaced at NTSC frame rates is purely a
->software problem; I have sent source in C and a Pascal-like language and
->a binary to the person who asked originally.  The output is still RGB
->(or G only + control panel set to b&w == b&w composite), so you'll need
->something to convert RGB to Composite Color.

Eric, not to besmirch your code or anything, but you apparently didn't
catch on that generating the correct sync signals is about 1 tenth the
battle. (maybe 20%) The big problem is generating the 3.58Mhz subcarrier
on the composite signal and phase locking it to an RGB -> NTSC color signal.
That is the tough stuff. And that is what costs extra money on the Mac II.

--Chuck McManis

cute@sphinx.uchicago.edu (John Robert Cavallino) (04/15/88)

There have been several postings in reponse to a query for info. about
obtaining NTSC video from a Mac II.  One poster referred the questioner to
previous articles containing the neccessary code.  Said poster called this a
"software" method.  Leo Schwab then flamed back about the absurd difficulty
of doing this in software when it's built into the Amiga.  What has been
unclearly stated is that the "software" method on the Mac II is nothing more
than reprogramming some control registers on the standard video card.  Poking
the correct values causes the card to output an NTSC-compatable signal directly.

	JohnC

--
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cute           --John Cavallino

	The train is the same, only the time is changed.
	Ecce homo, ergo elk.

Chad_The-Walrus_Netzer@cup.portal.com (04/15/88)

>[ Article originally appeared on comp.graphics. ]
>
>In article <1022@luth.luth.se> Lars-Gunnar Taube <taube@luth.luth.se> writes:
>>There are some guys here that have made animations with
>>VideoWorks, and they want to do a rock video of it.
>>
>>Now for the big question...
>>
>>I think I've seen this mentioned somewhere, but:
>>
>>Is it possible to extract video from the MacII (Apple card)
>>and record it on a VHS recorder? If so, how?

Now for the BIG answer....

Who Cares?     :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

PS.  Disregard the above, it's only line noise.
PPS.  I support Leo's idea's, as they DO make the most sense in the long run!
PPPS.  I'll be going now.

				Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer
				Smart Guy -> Amiga -> AmigaManiac

Now for the quote/witicism/anagram:

	"Speak of me in the past tense."
	-Jerry pournelle, or any ST user.

ado@avsd.UUCP (ado) (04/16/88)

in article <3994@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, cute@sphinx.uchicago.edu (John Robert Cavallino) says:

> There have been several postings in reponse to a query for info. about
> obtaining NTSC video from a Mac II.  One poster referred the questioner to
> previous articles containing the neccessary code.  Said poster called this a
> "software" method.  Leo Schwab then flamed back about the absurd difficulty
> of doing this in software when it's built into the Amiga.  What has been
> unclearly stated is that the "software" method on the Mac II is nothing more
> than reprogramming some control registers on the standard video card.  Poking
> the correct values causes the card to output an NTSC-compatable signal directly.
>
> 	JohnC
>
> --
> ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cute           --John Cavallino
>
> 	The train is the same, only the time is changed.
> 	Ecce homo, ergo elk.

	Please note that a black and white signal is not a NTSC signal.
	To be NTSC it must contain color information. A black and white
	signal that can be displayed on a standard monitor is RS-170.
			jan louis christensen

	---
	 My employer would most likely agree!

pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) (04/20/88)

To all of the Amiga fans out there, More power to you! The Mac II is a
waste of money, I mean it is not a bad computer, but the amiga is
better.
Has any body heard if the new graphics chip is out for the Amiga?
It supposedly has 1024x1024 resolution with one million colors.
Now one million colors is excessive, but that is Commodores way of
saying, HA! I'm better than you are. And if your going to get an Amiga,
get the model 2000, the 500 and 1000 are good, but limited in
comparison.

skinner@saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Skinner) (04/21/88)

In article <167@anselm.UUCP>, pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) writes:

> Has any body heard if the new graphics chip is out for the Amiga?
> It supposedly has 1024x1024 resolution with one million colors.
> Now one million colors is excessive, but that is Commodores way of
> saying, HA! I'm better than you are.

I assume you mean one million POSSIBLE colors.
One million colors is not excessive, in fact, it seems sad that they would
get SO close to state of the art, and come up short.  Sorry, state of the
art is 10 bits output PER GUN, or 30 bits total (one billion possible colors.)
I guess I should say that they came so close to the standard 24 bits (16
million colors), and came up short.

Now one million translates to 20 output bits.  Notice that 20 doesn't
divide by 3, so what's it going to be: 7 to red, 7 to green and 6 to blue?
Poor blue, it always looses.

One could argue that you can't see the difference, maybe you can't between
1 and 16 million possible colors.  Its just that (8,8,8) is so much cleaner
than (7,7,6) or whatever it will be.

(Note:  this is not an Amiga Flame.
Just a computer graphics architecture flame.)

---------------------------
robert skinner
skinner@saturn.ucsc.edu

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (04/23/88)

This doesn't really belong in comp.graphics; I'm following up to ...amiga only;
(flames to comp.sys.mac :-))

In article <167@anselm.UUCP+, pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) writes:
+
+ To all of the Amiga fans out there, More power to you! The Mac II is a
+ waste of money, I mean it is not a bad computer, but the amiga is
+ better.
+ Has any body heard if the new graphics chip is out for the Amiga?
+ It supposedly has 1024x1024 resolution with one million colors.
+ Now one million colors is excessive, but that is Commodores way of
+ saying, HA! I'm better than you are. And if your going to get an Amiga,
+ get the model 2000, the 500 and 1000 are good, but limited in
+ comparison.

One million?  My Mac II has a pallette of 16 Meg. colors, and it is precisely
because the Amiga's pallette was 4096 that I didn't get it, though I have
recommended Amigas to friends, especially budget-constrained friends (and I
think the Amiga is a wonderfully "cost effective" machine.)  It HURT not to
buy an Amiga over the last year and a half; but I had to save for my MAC :-)
In my judgment, if you want color for anything except engineering schematics
and cartoons, even the MAC is only just barely adequate, and a 1 Meg. color
pallette just doesn't make it.

More power to Amiga owners and developers; I wish them well.

--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator Supreme.) (04/25/88)

Guys, Guys, lighten up. This "clown is entitled to his mistakes. What I
stated about 1024X1024 resolution was a RUMOR! Not fact. If I am
incorrect, I am sorry. But Macs still don't hold a candle to an amiga.
I would like to thank one person who enlightened me on display info.
If anyone has info on the max graphics capabilities of the amiga, lets
hear it. As for being called an atari owner, AHHHHH! I am insulted.
Commodore rules!