[comp.sys.amiga] Hey Guys cut it out!!!!

Marcus_Siskin@um.cc.umich.edu (04/23/88)

I just got this message from the Usenet news administrator here at the
U of Michigan.  I don't want to miss out on the information that
Comp.sys.amiga offers but I can understand his problem.  The limit here
seems to be around 8000 lines per day.  The previous posting was over
7000 lines when you consider that there were 10 UUencoded files posted.
Please consider that many systems have to limit the amount of mail
incoming when you are tempted to post megabytes of information even if
it is encoded.
                        Marcus_Siskin@um.cc.umich.edu
---(Forwarded from: Edward_Vielmetti@um.cc.umich.edu, Dated: Sat, 23 Apr 88 05:01:30 EDT)---

Today's info-amiga digest will not be available, since some idiot
posted a uuencoded binary as part of it.  The fragment of the
digest that I got ran more than 400K, and there's a change that
it was even bigger than that.

If the volume in this usenet group continues to generate messages
that are bigger than the mail system can handle, it will be necessary
to cancel info-amiga.  If you can make alternate arrangements
to read comp.sys.amiga on one of the CAEN apollos or on zippy or dippy,
please do so.

The messagesystem just wasn't meant for things like this....not
that it's any of your fault, just that it's going to be tough to
justify such huge amounts of traffic through the message system
that's just vast quantities of binary garbage.

There may be an alternative by-mail amiga newsletter available
through the bitnet; if I can find one, it will replace the current
setup.

--Ed
Edward Vielmetti

usenet news admin & cc mail group

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (04/24/88)

In article <4050@umix.cc.umich.edu> Marcus_Siskin@um.cc.umich.edu writes:
 >Please consider that many systems have to limit the amount of mail
 >incoming when you are tempted to post megabytes of information even if
 >it is encoded.

 >---(Forwarded from: Edward_Vielmetti@um.cc.umich.edu, Dated: Sat, 23 Apr 88 05:01:30 EDT)---
 >
 >Today's info-amiga digest will not be available, since some idiot
 >posted a uuencoded binary as part of it.

Is this a request to not post uuencoded binaries to the digest or to Usenet?
(i.e. Usenet is routed to the digest). If it's the latter, I think perhaps
the digest needs to be moderated. I'm pretty sure the majority here would
rather see binaries posted from time to time. Of course, the best thing
to do would be to check long articles with perl to see if they are
uuencoded binaries and reject them if they are.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The Empire Clandestine Operator   {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (04/26/88)

Yeah, good point.  My administrator has once again come to the
conclusion that comp.sys.amiga must go due to the excessive memory
that is taken up just storing the past 5 days' articles.  If the
volume could be kept down a bit by not posting binaries, it would be
helpful.  We do not even get comp.binaries.amiga (or whatever it is
called) here, which is sort of a shame, but I know that I can always
order the latest, greatest stuff from Fred Fish if I am that desparate
for new software.  Please keep binaries in the group they belong; this
is not a demand, just a plea....

						-Chris
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp