[comp.sys.amiga] bug in latest version of vt100

rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) (04/26/88)

     A fried of mine who no longer has access to the net, downloaded the
latest version of vt100 a couple of weeks back.(I can't remember the current
version number)  He says that it forgets to return 5k of memory when it
exits and if he runs Hack after exiting vt100, the computer crashes.
Unless there's some other reason for this that he's overlooking, it appears
that vt100 forgets to properly close and/or deallocate something.

Rich Champeaux
Clemson University

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (04/26/88)

In article <1496@hubcap.UUCP> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) writes:

>     A fried of mine who no longer has access to the net, downloaded the
>latest version of vt100 a couple of weeks back.(I can't remember the current
>version number)  He says that it forgets to return 5k of memory when it
>exits and if he runs Hack after exiting vt100, the computer crashes.
>Unless there's some other reason for this that he's overlooking, it appears
>that vt100 forgets to properly close and/or deallocate something.

Does that figure go up each time he runs it?  Don't forget that there are
libraries that are opened (and closed) but the libs aren't flushed unless
the memory is needed.  I haven't seen this behaviour in 2.8 and I use it
all the time (course, I'm responsible for this release :-).  If ANYONE
sees any anomalous behaviour in VT100 PLEASE send me e-mail!

A patch release of 2.8 will be available in about a week or so which fixes
1) the bug which caused a guru if the user did KERMIT BYE when KERMIT
wasn't active, 2) misc problems with interlace screens and 3) other minor
irratations.

BTW, if *anyone* can send me the IDCMP messages that are generated when
the "new" keypad keys are pressed on a 2000 or a 500, please do so.  I
need the info to support them as F1-F4 in R2.9.

--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (04/27/88)

> *Excerpts from: 25-Apr-88 bug in latest version of vt100 Richard*
> *Champeaux@hubcap (469)*

>      A fried of mine who no longer has access to the net, downloaded the
> latest version of vt100 a couple of weeks back.(I can't remember the current
> version number)  He says that it forgets to return 5k of memory when it
> exits and if he runs Hack after exiting vt100, the computer crashes.> Unless
> there's some other reason for this that he's overlooking, it appears
> that vt100 forgets to properly close and/or deallocate something.

> Rich Champeaux
> Clemson University

Perhaps you should run VT100, exit it, run it again, and see if another 5K
disappears the second time.  When VT100 runs, it opens the serial.device.  If
the serial.device has never been opened before, the appropriate library is read
into memory and stays there even after VT100 exits.

And are you sure the problem with Hack isn't Hack itself?  Is Hack an old
version (which had a tendency to guru pretty often)?

                                --M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu         BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"Memories are uncertain friends, when recalled by messages" -- OMD, "Messages"