[comp.sys.amiga] Where is comp.binaries.amiga, and what to repost

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (04/27/88)

In article <4954@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>"where are the binaries and sources groups?":

   we're still here.. more below.

>"when will they be back?":
>
>It would be a kindness if the moderators would post a status report
>every other day or so, so we'd know their site hasn't been nuked or
>something, though. ;-) It's not like that would be a noticeable ripple
>in addition to the present traffic in this group.

  Ok.. good idea Kent... here's the low-down on what happened...

  The idea to have everybody send me copies of their headers went perfectly...
I learned an awful lot about net topography, but unfortunately, there seemed
to be no discernable pattern to the truncations.. sometimes the common site
was purdue, sometimes it was ames, many times it was neither... best I can
guess is that is wasn't a particualr system that died, but rather particular
connections -- and both good copies and bad copies seemed to make it out
of the same system.
   There was one faint pattern that I perceived:  that it always seemed to
be the second posting of the day that got truncated.. but the first one
arrived ok.  Also, I couldn't find our news guru anywhere for several weeks
so I couldn't show him a copy and figure it out.. I'll still pursue this,
but we are going to start to post again anyway.
   So, like the cable TV company in a nearby city, I'm going to blame it on
sunspots  :-)

   As long as I'm posting this, I should ask what programs/parts everybody
would like to have reposted (of the stuff that got truncated, of course).
   Send me mail and I'll collect a list.. we will start reposting the stuff
sometime after Dnet (cause I know nobody wants to wait for that much longer).

-- Pat White   (co-moderator comp.sources/binaries.amiga)
ARPA/UUCP: j.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM  PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906