[comp.sys.amiga] Mice and Windows

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (04/25/88)

This was the Newsgroups line of the old article.  Blech.
comp.sys.amiga,misc.legal,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.apple,comp.sys.atari.st,comp.sys.hp

Anyway...

In article <1885@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <1120@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP writes:
> > screen the window happens to be; this is sort of distracting (at
> > least distracting to me).  I'd rather just always click at the top
> > of the screen.  Trust me, it isn't really confusing.

> I like the Amiga as much as the next guy, but I think putting the menus at
> the top of the screen like the Mac's is the biggest single design flaw
> in the generally pretty good Intuition interface. When you have a seperate
> button for the menu there's no reason to tie the menu to any particular
> part of the screen. It should come up directly under the mouse pointer,
> the way it does in most, if not all, of the UNIX based workstations.

> -- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
> -- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

One of the few things I like about the User Agent on the UNIX-PC is its
use of at least two of the three buttons...  B2 (I think it's called)
usually brings up the commands window for whatever application window is
currently running.  I say "usually" because very few people, AT&T included,
follow the design specs for using the mouse...  anyway...

I have no experience on "real" workstations, only dumb terminals hooked to
'frames, the 3b1, and a few micros, so this question may have an answer
obvious to others...

What progress has been made in designs utilizing mice with 3+ buttons?
I'd love to go thru and rewrite the UA on the 3b1 to use all 3 buttons
in a consistent manner...  ie: first button picks whatever the pointer
is on, second button calls up a list of commands to be used with whatever
window happens to be active, and third button could be special systems
functions -- something like the "W" icon at the top right of the 3b1
screen tPath: nuchat!tness1!tness7!bellcore!rutgers!mailrus!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!bloom-beacon!husc6!spdcc!gubba!rms
From: rms@gubba.SPDCC.COM (Rich Sands)
Newsgroups: comp.sources.wanted
Subject: Part 2 of mush needed
Date: 18 Apr 88 22:08:22 GMT

Could someone please email me part 2 of the mush sources recently posted to
comp.sources.unix? It never arrived at my site. Thanks,

--
        --  rms

UUC

pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) (04/27/88)

In article <298@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>I'd love to go thru and rewrite the UA on the 3b1 to use all 3 buttons
>in a consistent manner...  ie: first button picks whatever the pointer
>is on, second button calls up a list of commands to be used with whatever
>window happens to be active, and third button could be special systems
>functions -- something like the "W" icon at the top right of the 3b1

The third mouse button does have a UA function.  It is the mark button!
When certain menus allow to select more than one option the third button
is used to click on all options desired.

But like you said, not everyone follows these specs.

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (04/28/88)

This was the Newsgroups line of the old article.  Blech.
comp.sys.amiga,misc.legal,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.apple,comp.sys.atari.st,comp.sys.hp

Anyway...

In article <1885@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <1120@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP writes:
> > screen the window happens to be; this is sort of distracting (at
> > least distracting to me).  I'd rather just always click at the top
> > of the screen.  Trust me, it isn't really confusing.

> I like the Amiga as much as the next guy, but I think putting the menus at
> the top of the screen like the Mac's is the biggest single design flaw
> in the generally pretty good Intuition interface. When you have a seperate
> button for the menu there's no reason to tie the menu to any particular
> part of the screen. It should come up directly under the mouse pointer,
> the way it does in most, if not all, of the UNIX based workstations.

> -- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
> -- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

One of the few things I like about the User Agent on the UNIX-PC is its
use of at least two of the three buttons...  B2 (I think it's called)
usually brings up the commands window for whatever application window is
currently running.  I say "usually" because very few people, AT&T included,
follow the design specs for using the mouse...  anyway...

I have no experience on "real" workstations, only dumb terminals hooked to
'frames, the 3b1, and a few micros, so this question may have an answer
obvious to others...

What progress has been made in designs utilizing mice with 3+ buttons?
I'd love to go thru and rewrite the UA on the 3b1 to use all 3 buttons
in a consistent manner...  ie: first button picks whatever the pointer
is on, second button calls up a list of commands to be used with whatever
window happens to be active, and third button could be special systems
functions -- something like the "W" icon at the top right of the 3b1
screen that is the gateway from a window to any other window.
Then there's the combinatorial commands: B1+B2, B1+B3 and B2+B3 for even
less used aspects or for the user to define..

Again, I'm still fresh (under a year) to UNIX and it's related ilk,
so maybe everybody else in the world is already doing this sort of thing...
--
Just another journalist with too many spare MIPS...
"The truth of an opinion is part of its utility." -- John Stuart Mill