[comp.sys.amiga] HELP! PLEASE!

kwa1_ltd@ur-tut (Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) (04/20/88)

I out of sheer stupidity an sleep deprivation just deleted a major
directory off of my hard drive.  I typed "delete dh3:wp all" which
proceeded to delete everything in dh3:wp except for the directory
itself because it happend to be open.
HOW CAN I RECOVER THE CONTENTS OF THIS DIRECTORY?
I managed to delete all my word processor files with this stroke of
genius.  I have not written or done anything to the hard drive since
then.  Please help me recover the contents of this directory!

E-mail any help you can give me to:

kwa1_ltd@tut.cc.rochester.edu

I will be forever endebted to the person who helps me recover the
contents of this directory.

Karl
['(]

kwa1_ltd@tut.cc.rochester.edu

phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) (04/23/88)

> I out of sheer stupidity an sleep deprivation just deleted a major
> directory off of my hard drive.  I typed "delete dh3:wp all" which
> proceeded to delete everything in dh3:wp except for the directory
> itself because it happend to be open.
> HOW CAN I RECOVER THE CONTENTS OF THIS DIRECTORY?
> I managed to delete all my word processor files with this stroke of
> genius.  I have not written or done anything to the hard drive since
> then.  Please help me recover the contents of this directory!
Well Karl, that is why you should always double check something before you
conform the command.  I know what you mean because with this computer system
I have now the other day I deleted everything from the disk (not intending
too).  Also, you might check out the Public Domain programs because seems like
there's a program out there called disk doctor or something like that that
will recover accidental erased files.  Phillip Keen
--
Smail Address:  Phillip Keen - 2705 Martin - Pasadena, TX  77502

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (04/26/88)

phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>> I out of sheer stupidity an sleep deprivation just deleted a major
>> directory off of my hard drive.  I typed "delete dh3:wp all" which
>> proceeded to delete everything in dh3:wp except for the directory
>> itself because it happend to be open.
>> HOW CAN I RECOVER THE CONTENTS OF THIS DIRECTORY?
>> I managed to delete all my word processor files with this stroke of
>> genius.  I have not written or done anything to the hard drive since
>> then.  Please help me recover the contents of this directory!
>Well Karl, that is why you should always double check something before you
>conform the command.  I know what you mean because with this computer system
>I have now the other day I deleted everything from the disk (not intending
>too).  Also, you might check out the Public Domain programs because seems like
>there's a program out there called disk doctor or something like that that
>will recover accidental erased files.  Phillip Keen
>--
>Smail Address:  Phillip Keen - 2705 Martin - Pasadena, TX  77502

DiskDoctor or Disksalv only works for floppies.  I haven't heard of any decent
Undelete program for the Amiga.  I wish I had good news for you Karl but
perhaps someone else does and I can rejoice before pulling the same stunt?

We are looking for a Utility that will Locate deleted file(s) and Undelete
them from any storage partition.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

In article <973@nuchat.UUCP> phillip@nuchat.UUCP (Phillip Keen) writes:
>> I out of sheer stupidity an sleep deprivation just deleted a major
>> directory off of my hard drive.  [ ... ]
>> HOW CAN I RECOVER THE CONTENTS OF THIS DIRECTORY?
>>
>there's a program out there called disk doctor or something like that that
>				    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>will recover accidental erased files.  [ ... ]

	AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!  NOOOOO!!!!

	Keep DiskDoctor as far away from your hard drive as you possibly
can!  (The same orbit with Tim King should be about right.)  If it were
possible, I'd file a suit against it for malpractice.

	Unfortunately, Dave Haynie's DiskSalv doesn't work "in place" on a
volume, and doesn't work on hard disks (last I looked).  I would recommend
that you locate your community's Amiga Guru, and have him/her do one of two
things:

	1)  Use Sectorama to repair the drive by hand (yuck!),
	2)  Hack DiskSalv to work on hard drives.

	I know, not too helpful, but it's all I could think of off hand.

--------
Totally Unrelated:
------------------
	I saw "A New Life", starring Alan Alda last night.  One scene in his
apartment, he was sitting before his desk, sitting on top of which was a
PS/2.

	The guy's sold out, as far as I'm concerned.  The guy doesn't
recognize good computers.  Remember the ads he did for Atari?.....

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (04/29/88)

in article <1870@ur-tut.UUCP>, kwa1_ltd@ur-tut (Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) says:

> I out of sheer stupidity an sleep deprivation just deleted a major
> directory off of my hard drive.  I typed "delete dh3:wp all" which
> proceeded to delete everything in dh3:wp except for the directory
> itself because it happend to be open.
> HOW CAN I RECOVER THE CONTENTS OF THIS DIRECTORY?
> I managed to delete all my word processor files with this stroke of
> genius.  I have not written or done anything to the hard drive since
> then.  Please help me recover the contents of this directory!

I have a new version of my DiskSalv program, in BETA test right now, that
should do the trick.  It's mainly designed to recover an entire disk, but
it does optionally allow you to select what gets recovered and what
doesn't, so you could pretty easily single out the missing directory.  If
you haven't solved your problem yet, let me know and I'll e-mail you a
copy of this program.

Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy
		"I can't relax, 'cause I'm a Boinger!"