[comp.sys.amiga] Less Expensive C Ltd Tape Backup ?

adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) (04/25/88)

I have a C Ltd hard disk and SCSI controller, and I've gotten very
frustrated backing it up to floppies.  CLtd [(316) 267-3807] is
selling a 60 Meg tape backup unit that uses a Teac tape mechanism,
and one price I was quoted was $1,150 !!
A company called First Class Peripherals [(800) 982-3232] also sells
a tape unit which looks like it uses the Teac mechanism ("The Sider T6",
60 Meg, SCSI) for $800 but they don't support the Amiga.

Teac does sell a 60 Meg tape unit with SCSI interface, but only to
distributors and OEMs.

However, the CLtd-Teac driver software is up on their bulletin board
(316) 267-1222, free for the asking!

Does this give anyone else some ideas?

--
Phone:  (914) 359-2900 x340
Post:   Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory / Palisades, NY 10964

adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) (04/27/88)

In article <522@lamont.Columbia.edu>, adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (I) wrote:

> I have a C Ltd hard disk and SCSI controller, and I've gotten very
> frustrated backing it up to floppies.  CLtd [(316) 267-3807] is
> selling a 60 Meg tape backup unit that uses a Teac tape mechanism,
> and one price I was quoted was $1,150 !!
> A company called First Class Peripherals [(800) 982-3232] also sells
> a tape unit which looks like it uses the Teac mechanism ("The Sider T6",
> 60 Meg, SCSI) for $800 but they don't support the Amiga.

In my search for a cheaper tape backup unit, I found that Computer Mail Order
[(800) 233-8950] had the C Ltd. unit for about $850.  I called the place that
gave me the $1150 quote (Computer Mart [(800) 443-8236]) and they said that
they had quoted from an erroneous C Ltd. dealer price sheet.  Instead they
would let me have the 60T for $840.  However, I chose not to buy at this time,
because when I called C Ltd. to find out if multiple volumes could be backed
up to a single tape ("Yes"),  they told me that because of the speed of AmigaDOS,
the 60T 60Meg TEAC tape unit would only backup 20 Megs per tape.  Hopefully this
will change with the Fast Filing System, but they aren't even going to start
trying until Commodore nails down WB3.1.

--

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (04/29/88)

In article <529@lamont.Columbia.edu>, adam@lamont.Columbia.edu (adam levin) writes:
> > I have a C Ltd hard disk and SCSI controller, and I've gotten very
> > frustrated backing it up to floppies.  CLtd [(316) 267-3807] is
> > selling a 60 Meg tape backup unit that uses a Teac tape mechanism,
> > and one price I was quoted was $1,150 !!

> because when I called C Ltd. to find out if multiple volumes could be backed
> up to a single tape ("Yes"),  they told me that because of the speed of AmigaDOS,
> the 60T 60Meg TEAC tape unit would only backup 20 Megs per tape.  Hopefully this
> will change with the Fast Filing System, but they aren't even going to start
> trying until Commodore nails down WB3.1.

The reason that the Teac drive will only back up 20Mb per tape is that the
Teac tape drive doesn't support the SCSI COPY command, and Cltd is using
triple redundancy to store infomation on the tape, it has nothing to do with
AmigaDOS.

Here in Rochester, I picked up the Kennedy 6500 tape drive with the 6510
QIC-02 formatter board for $80.  It is a 65Mb drive.  You really can't use
the QIC-02 formatter, because it's difficult to find SCSI -> QIC-02 interfaces
but Adaptec makes a SCSI -> QIC-36 interface for about $80.  With the addition
of a power supply and cabinet for $100, you could make a tape backup system
for around $260.  I bought my drive at General Surplus Electronics, 182
Avenue D, Rochester NY 14621  (716) 338-7001.  The unfortunate side of this
is that there is no software for this, I am trying to write some to do
simple backup and restore, but I'm running into roadblocks.  Does anybody
have an example of how to write a SCSI command to CLtd's SCSI.device?

I have no affiliation with General Surplus Electronics, I have only gotten
some good deals there.

Chris

...!rochester!kodak!ektools!barrett
(716) 253-7253