[comp.sys.amiga] Multi User

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (04/23/88)

             ers really eat lines?]

In <8804170436.AA24035@jade.berkeley.edu>, SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (Bryan Ford) writes:
>So once you have your AUX: device (or whatever it's called), just use
>this:

>NewCLI AUX:

>This is just off the top of my head, so don't trust me too much. :)  And I
>haven't tried it either, since I don't have AUX:, and that's why I want it! :)

>That'll put the CLI on the serial port, but then you'll probably get problems
>when you try hooking it to a modem.  I have no idea what happens then.

A CLI from AUX: works just fine over the modem. There are two main
problems:

1. You need to run 'cancel!', 'noreq', or 'doserr' to prevent requester
   coming up on the Amiga's screen, unless you have a VERY long mouse cable.

2. Your system will not be password protected unless you take steps to
   write a password program and invoke it from the AUX: CLI.

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.

chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) (04/26/88)

>A CLI from AUX: works just fine over the modem. There are two main
>problems:
>
>1. You need to run 'cancel!', 'noreq', or 'doserr' to prevent requester
>   coming up on the Amiga's screen, unless you have a VERY long mouse cable.

^^^^^^^^
  Would this cause the CLI (Directed to the AUX: device) to lock up.  Due to
the in-ability (sp?) to cancel the requester that would normally come up?

>2. Your system will not be password protected unless you take steps to
>   write a password program and invoke it from the AUX: CLI.
>
>-larry
^^^^^^^^
Even if you did right a program to request a password, programs which use a
CLI's console.device normally can be stoped when a ^C key is pressed.

--
     ///  Amiga Power User - Mr. Chima Ngene        (chima@dasys1)         ///
    ///   {UNIX, & DOS, ETC} Programmer.....        (Take Your Pick)      ///

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/02/88)

<do pointy things at the end of lines make line eaters choke?>

In <4098@dasys1.UUCP>, chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) writes:
>>A CLI from AUX: works just fine over the modem. There are two main
>>problems:
>>
>>1. You need to run 'cancel!', 'noreq', or 'doserr' to prevent requester
>>   coming up on the Amiga's screen, unless you have a VERY long mouse cable.

>  Would this cause the CLI (Directed to the AUX: device) to lock up.  Due to
>the in-ability (sp?) to cancel the requester that would normally come up?

Yes, A requester can only be acted upon from the main keyboard or mouse.
The CLI you are working with using AUX: will lock up because of a
requester, which means that you can't even call up a program that cancels
the requester. The only way I can see is to use one of the programs I
mentioned. Doserr is probably the best of the bunch, and was posted to
the net recently. It allows you to enable or disable requesters. I
usually leave it running whenerver I have called it, because the message
appearing on the screen is plenty good enough to let me know that I have
tried to access a nonexistent device.

>>2. Your system will not be password protected unless you take steps to
>>   write a password program and invoke it from the AUX: CLI.

>Even if you did right a program to request a password, programs which use a
>CLI's console.device normally can be stoped when a ^C key is pressed.

The key word here is 'normally'. You would have to trap any CTRL key that
could cause the password program to exit. It isn't overly difficult, and in
fact I remember everyone crying for a way to _enable_ CTRL C within a
program, until the compilers started providing that as a built-in
operation.

Looking at ARexx, I think I could even do it with an ARexx script alone,
though I will have to try it to be sure. If I manage it, I'll post it to
the net.

-larry