[comp.sys.amiga] What's with comp.sys.amiga.tech?

hbo@hub.ucsb.edu (Howard Owen) (04/27/88)

   I recently had the following exchange of messages with the administrator
of my newsfeed. I wonder if anyone else is having difficulty receiving
comp.sys.amiga.tech? His reply (+) follows my question (++).

++     The comp.sys.amiga  group  on  usenet recently  spawned  a  .tech
++     child.   I was  happily reading  this new  group,  congratulating
++      myself that the news  administrator at my site  was so on top  of
++     new developments  on the  net  that he  was carrying  .tech  well
++     before the group had  official status.  I  felt even better  when
++     the net.gods spoke,  and comp.sys.amiga.tech was  invested as  an
++     official usenet news group.  The cross posting to  comp.sys.amiga
++     dropped  off  considerably,  and  reading  .tech  became   really
++     worthwhile.  Imagine  my horror  when one evening  rn greeted  me
++     with "bogus newsgroup comp.sys.amiga.tech" and then proceeded  to
++     check out my .newsrc  file for 10 minutes,  (grr) I was  shocked!
++     So my question, Mr.  usenet administrator person, is this: can we
++     resurrect comp.sys.amiga.tech?  I'm desperate to keep up with the
++     developing standards  for Amiga  interprocess communication,  the
++     details of the Fast File System and OS 1.3 and the endless flames
++     about "keeping this fluff out  of .tech!" Thanks a bunch,

+On 20 April an  rmgroup control message was  sent out across  the
+usenet  which  automatically  removed  the  "comp.sys.amiga.tech"
+group from  all sites.    These are  common messages  which  come
+through every week or so telling our news system to clean up  its
+act -- they originate at the mythical "backbone" sites which have
+been exerting pressure on the usenet in recent months.
+
+In any case, the newsgroup is gone  and we have not the power  to
+resurrect it.
+
+Sorry,
+Tom

--
Howard Owen, Computer Systems Manager       PHYSNET/HEPNET/SPAN:  SBPHY::HBO
Physics Computer Services                   internet: hbo@sbphy.ucsb.edu

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (04/27/88)

In article <571@hub.ucsb.edu> hbo@sbphy.ucsb.edu (Howard Owen) writes:
)
)   I recently had the following exchange of messages with the administrator
)of my newsfeed. I wonder if anyone else is having difficulty receiving
)comp.sys.amiga.tech? His reply (+) follows my question (++).
)
)++     The comp.sys.amiga  group  on  usenet recently  spawned  a  .tech
)++     child.   I was  happily reading  this new  group,  congratulating
)
)+On 20 April an  rmgroup control message was  sent out across  the
)+usenet  which  automatically  removed  the  "comp.sys.amiga.tech"
)+group from  all sites.    These are  common messages  which  come

Well, I see messages like this cross my 'desk' with considerable frequency
in my capacity as sysadmin.  Over the course of time I have learned that
   1) There is a good reason why the net's news software provides for
      a human to intercede between all posted rmgroup messages and their
      execution, if the person installing news has the wits to implement
      that provision.
   2) A sysadmin should never remove a group upon first receiving a rmgroup
      message until at least one week has past without a countermanding
      message from above saying something like 'oops...a checkgroups message
      we got didn't inadvertently didn't include the xx.yy groups which we
      carry so they were all marked as invalid'.  After all the entire
      directory gets purged.
   3) It generally does very little harm to carry groups even if they are
      unofficial, since the unofficial groups offer little in the way of
      traffic and expense.  (I generally ignore rmgroup messages simply
      predicated upon the groups' 'unauthorized' status.  If nobody carries
      it I don't get it and it doesn't cost me anything; if I get a lot
      of traffic on it, I should carry it whether it is 'official' or not.)
      Furthermore, I live on the very flank of the backbone and have
      observed before that even the backbone, or at least part of it,
      carries at least some groups that are officially 'unauthorized'.
      I received comp.sys.amiga.tech continuously from the first 'bogus'
      posting creating it in spite of the fact that nothing reaches me
      without traversing at least part of the backbone.  Now that it is
      official I have less concern about missing something, nonetheless.
   4) Being a sysadmin requires more than mechanically responding to every
      rmgroup message that comes down the pike.  Some thought may be
      required.  And more may be required as an answer to a query such as
      yours ('where did my official newsgroup go?') than the bland response
      you got.  Make no mistake.  Each sysadmin can decide which newsgroups
      he carries and he is not at mercy of official rmgroup postings from the
      so-called backbone unless his neighbors all decide to drop the group
      as a consequence ... in which case any action of his is superfluous
      anyway.

And for all the good it will do you, you can quote me.
--
-Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.-

Charles Cleveland    Georgia Tech School of Physics    Atlanta, GA 30332
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas         INTERNET:  chas@ss.physics.gatech.edu

gsarff@ssdis.UUCP (gary sarff) (04/29/88)

In article <571@hub.ucsb.edu>, hbo@hub.ucsb.edu (Howard Owen) writes:

>    I recently had the following exchange of messages with the administrator
> of my newsfeed. I wonder if anyone else is having difficulty receiving
> comp.sys.amiga.tech? His reply (+) follows my question (++).
>

> +On 20 April an  rmgroup control message was  sent out across  the
> +usenet  which  automatically  removed  the  "comp.sys.amiga.tech"
> +group from  all sites.    These are  common messages  which  come
> +through every week or so telling our news system to clean up  its
> +act -- they originate at the mythical "backbone" sites which have
> +been exerting pressure on the usenet in recent months.
> +
> +In any case, the newsgroup is gone  and we have not the power  to
> +resurrect it.
> +
> +Sorry,
> +Tom
That is strange.  I am very near a backbone, only 1 jump from it and I
still have comp.sys.amiga.tech and so does the system that I poll that has
a direct link.  Maybe this Tom owns an Atari or is a Messy Dos'er?
Anyway, my logs don't show getting such an rmgroup message, maybe it was
only on your branch of the net, somewhere upstream someone turned off the
faucet. 8-)

I need these blank lines cause my stupid postnews won't let me respond
with a message shorter than the one I'm responding too.  sheesh.  We all
have our Usenet problems.

--
Gary Sarff           {uunet|ihnp4|philabs}!spies!ssdis!gsarff
To program is human, to debug is something best left to the gods.

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) (04/30/88)

=)
=
=Well, I see messages like this cross my 'desk' with considerable frequency
=in my capacity as sysadmin.  Over the course of time I have learned that
=	[ Several DOs and DON'Ts as sysadm given ]

	Well, too bad our sysadm just purged amiga.tech upon first
	receiving the rmgroup message.  I had contested the removal, but
	nothing came of it...  All the great articles I'm missing.  *Sigh*
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/03/88)

There's an easy cure for administrators who automatically allow
rmgroup messages to take effect (especially when the rmgroup mesg
was bogus): ask somebody to send out a create group message again.
The administrator will again let *that* take effect.
&$^

      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)
                      or  ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug