[comp.sys.amiga] Info to Access Usenet Needed...try Portal!!!

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (05/03/88)

jacobson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have several friends who do not work at the University and thus do
>not have signons or access to the Unix systems here. They would like
>to gain access to Usenet and are looking for ways to do so. I have
>seen notice of pay systems such as the well and/or other places. Could
>someone please send me a list of pay services (hopefully the ones that
>
>I understand that the "Well" is perhaps a "low cost" access to the
>Usenet from what I remember reading, but I don't know for sure and I
>don't have any phone numbers I can give my friends to access it or
>any similar connection.

>* Russ Jacobson                                                   *
>* 615 E. Peabody Drive                                            *
>* Illinois Geological Survey          "THE   MAD   HACKER"        *
>* Champaign, IL 61820                                             *
>*                                                                 *
>*   217-244-2425                                                  *
My suggestion is to try Portal. It is accessible thru Telenet and is in a city
supported by PC-Pursuit (Cupertino, CA, area code 408). Better still, if you
have a PCP account already, you can type:

   C PORTAL,PCPACCT,PCPPSWD at the @ prompt...no need to use a dialer!

The system costs only $10/month for unlimited use (yes, that is correct, just
10 bucks a month). They have all the conferences and have a very easy to use
command structure. With PC-Pursuit, your total comes to $35 per month for a
very cost effective system!!!

P.S., on the "Well", I subscribed to it and after about a day or two of really
sloooooooowww response time and hard to understand commands, I felt Portal was
a better bargain.

Hope this helps...

Lawrence Greenwald

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
   WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
   OH SHUT UP! You bubble-headed booby!!!
                          -- Dr. Zachary Smith, forever "Lost in Space"