[comp.sys.amiga] Are all Commodore Mice Equal?

ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) (04/28/88)

I see a Commodore 1830 (two-button mouse designed for the C-64 joystick port)
on sale for $40.00.  Is this the same mouse as what the Amiga uses?
(electrically and mechanically?)
Is it worth getting at this price?  Anyplace it can be had for less?
Is there a three-button serial mouse (preferably optical) that can be had for
about this much?

Thanks.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) (05/01/88)

In article <1557@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) writes:

>I see a Commodore 1830 (two-button mouse designed for the C-64 joystick port)
>on sale for $40.00.  Is this the same mouse as what the Amiga uses?

  Nop, the mouse that you saw for the C-64 responds to the computer as a
Joy-Stick would, there for it would not work with the Amiga....

--
     ///  Amiga Power User - Mr. Chima Ngene        (chima@dasys1)         ///
    ///   {UNIX, & DOS, ETC} Programmer.....        (Take Your Pick)      ///

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (05/03/88)

In article <4199@dasys1.UUCP> chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) writes:
>In article <1557@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>>
>>I see a Commodore 1830 (two-button mouse designed for the C-64 joystick port)
>>on sale for $40.00.  Is this the same mouse as what the Amiga uses?
>

>  Nop, the mouse that you saw for the C-64 responds to the computer as a
>Joy-Stick would, there for it would not work with the Amiga....

There are two mice for the C64.
	The first, older, model is the 1350.
	It has a four bit micro in it which interprets mouse movements
	and asserts the joystick direction lines accordingly. This make
	it totally compatibly with all joystick input games etc, but
	terrible at drawing. For example, you can draw great squares and
	octagons, but circles just seem to have eight sides.

	The second mouse is the 1351. This mouse has two modes. The
	first mode is just like the 1350 mouse. So compatibilty is
	assured. The second mode is a new proportional mode where the
	mouse uses features on the SID chip, and a small 60 hz interupt
	routine to effect a true proportional mode. Great circles, but
	can only be used with software which expects the mouse. GEOS
	has a special input driver for it, and code examples are
	provided for the mouse on a disk shipped with it and in the
	mouse's manual.

	Selection of the mouse's operating mode is done at powerup
	by holding down the left mouse button for joystick mode, or
	simply not depressing a button for proportional mode.

	As for the 1830, I haven't heard of that mouse. We do have
	a mouse for our series of PC clones which is just like an
	amiga mouse, but I do not think 1830 is its number. Could
	be wrong on that though.

Hedley