[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA disks

unpowell@csvax.liv.ac.uk (05/03/88)

In article <8804261109.AA26974@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, F026@CPC865.UEA.AC.UK writes:
> Does anybody have some PDware that can read and write Amiga disks?
> I have several friends who are itching to get some of the PD stuff from
> the net, but have no access to it - they want me to get it down onto my
> ST then write Amiga-readable disks for them.

	I've had no success trying to read Amiga disks on an ST, I don't
think it's possible.
	However, there is a PD program out on the Amiga called "DOS to DOS"
which allows an Amiga to format MS-DOS, and ST (in the later versions),
disks. Files can then be easily transfered between Amiga and ST as both
machines can now read these disks, the Amiga because of this piece of software
and the ST as it is able to read MS-DOS formatted disks.
	If you get a more recent version of this program, which I believe
has the filename "d2d" (just thought I'd tell you as amiga disks tend to
have lots of files you never knew you had on them), then you can just download
the Amiga PD stuff onto an ST disk and then give this disk to your friends
who will be able to easily transfer the files onto an Amiga disk. If you
have an early version of DOS to DOS which doesn't support ST disks, just
MS-DOS, then you just get a friend to format a few disks to MS-DOS format,
with his/her Amiga, and then you use these disks to download the files onto.
	I think (hope) this program is public domain. A friend has got it,
so if it is I'll post it into comp.amiga.binaries in the next week or so.

	Mark Powell

 "...I hate the white	JANET unpowell@uk.ac.liv.csvax
  man, and the man	UUCP  {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!unpowell
  who turned you all	ARPA  unpowell%csvax.liv.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
  loose..." R. Harper

ali@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (05/04/88)

In article <1298@csvax.liv.ac.uk> unpowell@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
> ... there is a PD program out on the Amiga called "DOS to DOS" ...
>I think (hope) this program is public domain. A friend has got it,
>so if it is I'll post it into comp.amiga.binaries in the next week or so.

Arg! No, no, no, this program is not public domain. Whenever there's
*any* doubt that any program you got your hands on is not public
domain or freely distributable please make sure before you treat it as such.

The lack of a "freely distributable" notice in the copyright notice or the
about box should almost always make you suspicious of a "free" program.
If the program also has fancy or professional-looking startup screen(s)
then you should really wonder. I suggest browsing through the
mail-order ads in the back of Amiga World or the Amiga product listings
that've appeared in most magazines at one time or another to see if the
program is on sale. That should pretty much leave no doubt that the program
is a commercial product.

For instance, DOS to DOS is listed as a $39 product in this one ad I just
opened up to.

Of course, there are some exceptions --- For instance, GOMF originally
appeared as a freely distributable program. GOMF 2.0 is a commercial
product, however. Thus there is room for confusion, but I believe the
early GOMF clearly states in the ABOUT box that it is a shareware
product and not a commercial one.

Ali Ozer, ali@polya.stanford.edu

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (05/04/88)

In article <1298@csvax.liv.ac.uk> unpowell@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
>In article <8804261109.AA26974@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, F026@CPC865.UEA.AC.UK writes:
>> Does anybody have some PDware that can read and write Amiga disks?
>> I have several friends who are itching to get some of the PD stuff from
>> the net, but have no access to it - they want me to get it down onto my
>> ST then write Amiga-readable disks for them.
>
>	However, there is a PD program out on the Amiga called "DOS to DOS"
>
>	I think (hope) this program is public domain. A friend has got it,
>so if it is I'll post it into comp.amiga.binaries in the next week or so.

   Sorry to break the bad news to you, but Dos to Dos is *NOT* Public Doamin
  or even ShareWare. It is a commercial (copyrighted) product.

   I have used it several times and it will work well for this application
  as you have described.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net