[comp.sys.amiga] April 1988 BADGE Meeting

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (04/26/88)

Just what we need: "my-user-group-is-better-than-your-user-group"
wars.  There are several scores of user groups out there and I'd guess
that very many of them have access to Usenet.  Now sure, BADGE is a
fine group, but if we were fair and consistent, we'd see scores of UG
announcements every month.  Do we really need to burn up that bandwidth
for what (I'd say) is essentially a local function?  If we buy into the
philosophy that Usenet is a valid mechanism for acquiring new members
and guest speakers for UGs, and also summarizing each meeting so we'll
all see what a really neeto UG one has, we'll really get flooded.
Yeah, than we'll have to branch the newsgroup again:
comp.sys.amiga.ug.announce, ...ug.request, ...ug.lastmeetingsummary ....
I don't know.  Flame off.  My vote is, it's not appropriate for USA-wide
distribution.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

leh@beach.cis.ufl.edu ( ) (04/29/88)

In article <2195@antique.UUCP> cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:

I for one am interested in seeing the BADGE meeting notes and the times
of the meetings.

"the bats have left the belltower, the victims have been bled"
UUCP: ...{ihnp4|rutgers}!codas!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!leh
Internet: leh@beach.cis.ufl.edu | vishnu@pine.circa.ufl.edu

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (05/05/88)

In article <2195@antique.UUCP> cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
>Just what we need: "my-user-group-is-better-than-your-user-group"
>wars.  There are several scores of user groups out there and I'd guess
>that very many of them have access to Usenet.  Now sure, BADGE is a
>fine group. . . .

Ahem, kind sir, I beg your pardon. BAADG is != a "user group". The last
two letters stand for "developers group". (was the DevCon merely another
Amiga Show??) There is a difference between
a BAADG meeting and a meeting of the Southern Idaho Amiga Users and
Knitting Club ("tonites guest is Hilda Grimly demonstrating 'TextCraft 1.0'!!").

Considering the fact that the Amiga LG people, developers as far away as
LA, regularly go our of their way to attend, and considering the fact
that a fair number of members have products on the shelves, I humbly
suggest that the material covered hearin is of greater interest to the
overall Amiga community then Hilda Grimly.

Plus, many of the products that YOU will buy, we will write, it is in your
best interest to support such gatherings.

>	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp
>
>   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

over and out,

*** mike ***

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"Use an Atari, go to jail!"