[comp.sys.amiga] Reading from the Parallel port

rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) (01/22/88)

    How do I read from the parallel port?  The RKM explains how to use the
software to read from it, but what I need to know is the hardware requirements
What signals are used, and how are they used?  How can I tell when the Amiga
is driving the data lines so my device doesn't drive them at the same time and
short everything out?

Thanks in advance,

Rich Champeaux
Clemson University

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (01/25/88)

In article <872@hubcap.UUCP> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) writes:

>    How do I read from the parallel port?  The RKM explains how to use the
>software to read from it, but what I need to know is the hardware requirements
>What signals are used, and how are they used?  How can I tell when the Amiga
>is driving the data lines so my device doesn't drive them at the same time and
>short everything out?

See Appendices E and F in the Addison-Wesley Amiga Hardware Manual.

If that's not enough, buy a generic book on computer/peripheral interfaces
such as "Computer Connection Mysteries Solved" by Wideman (SAMS Books)
or "The Handbook of Microcomputer Interfacing" by Liebson (TAB Books)
which explain how standard Centronics handshaking works.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

trebor@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Robert Amor ) (05/05/88)

Hi folks
        I am having a problem trying to read data in from the parallel port
on out Amiga 1000. Our Amiga 1000 is connected to the Urban Simulator held by
the School of Architecture and I am trying to follow the moves made by the
simulator with the aim of smoothing the path and making the Amiga drive the
simulator while caputing the trip on out video setup.

So I have written a suite of small C programs in Lattice C 4.0 one of which
tries to read the data coming in from the simulator. I have treated the
parallel port as a file and am using the DOS command
           numofbytes = Read(filehandle,buffer,bytestoread);
The program compiles fine, but when run numofbytes always holds a -1, and
IoErr() returns a code of 87. The listing of IoErr codes that we have does
not list this code, and Commodore NZ could not find anything either.

Can anyone out there help ?

Also is this the best place to post this type of query ? It is the only Amiga
group that we receive in NZ.

Can you also keep the replies short as all mail we receive costs real money !

Thanks in advance.