[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga as TeX workstation?

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (04/30/88)

I was asked by a number of users at our school why in tarnation we don't
employ cheap workstations like amigi in our terminal clusters, if only for
TeX, and that offloading such tasks not only would be more cost effective
on A500 or A2000, but would give the users better turnaround using
the multi-tasking environment and previewer rather than wasting reams
of paper and toner cartridges, etc. (this has been my idea all along but
you kinda give up trying to enlighten the peecee crowd).

Well, lo and behold, I've been asked to write a proposal how to add a few
amiga machines around campus, how to network them, how to minimize support
and repair, etc. I'd like to know how others have convinced their people to
buy into amigi and suggestions you might have for me. The priority here is
"cheap".

Being real cheap, would a monochrome A500 with a meg of ram and 2 floppies
(the TEX floppy being locked shut with TEX and DNET on it, assuming TEX
fits on 1 disk which it probably doesn't) be a useful tool? The intent here
would be to do editing and previewing on the amiga, and uploading the final
draft to the 4.3 mini for final output.

Another thing I've though would be very useful and cost effective would be
an amiga based digitizing workstation. Anyone do anything on this order in
a university lab?

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!dave {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd4@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133        \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: 3200 N Cramer #E380, Milw WI 53211

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (05/02/88)

In article <5672@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) says:
>Well, lo and behold, I've been asked to write a proposal how to add a few
>amiga machines around campus, how to network them, how to minimize support
>and repair, etc. I'd like to know how others have convinced their people to
>buy into amigi and suggestions you might have for me. The priority here is
>"cheap".

COMMODORE!  Jump on this!

Do this guys work for him.  Help him out.  If one university gets a lab
full of Amigas, it'll be that much easier for the rest of us to convince
the pc crazies.  (Around here, they are thinking of throwing away pc's so
they can replace them with ps/2's.  That's progress.)

tws@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Thomas Sarver) (05/05/88)

In article <41100UH2@PSUVM> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>In article <5672@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) says:
>>Well, lo and behold, I've been asked to write a proposal how to add a few
>>amiga machines around campus, how to network them, how to minimize support
>>and repair, etc. I'd like to know how others have convinced their people to
>>buy into amigi and suggestions you might have for me. The priority here is
>>"cheap".
>>

>COMMODORE!  Jump on this!
>
>Do this guys work for him.  Help him out.  If one university gets a lab
>full of Amigas, it'll be that much easier for the rest of us to convince
>the pc crazies.  (Around here, they are thinking of throwing away pc's so
>they can replace them with ps/2's.  That's progress.)

OOOOOEEEEEE!! This guy ain't just scoopin' with a bit bucket!  I'm at Univ.
of Florida (yes, it's probably warmer here than where you are), and the Student
Gov't. bought PS/2 Model 20's for a WORD PROCESSING LAB!!  (Where's that "waste
of MIPS" subject when you need it?)  There's a rumor that the Journalism College
here is going to set up an Amy lab for animation.  They already have some great
freeze-frame VCR's, but the prof. I spoke to (he has an A2000 at home) doesn't
think they'll be able to get from where the VCR's are (the on campus radio
station (UF is #1 in Journalism (my fiancee's in Journalism Coll. (Journalism
College is #1 in great-looking women)))) to the Amy lab.  I saw a RS244 cable
goes up to 5000 feet, a heck of a lot more than RS232.

Anyway, if you any suggestions for someone who has boo-koo video/audio equ.
but no know-how with Amiga soft/hardware, e-mail me and I'll get it to him.

Again, get those Amy's visible.  We want them in the schools, the factories,
the workplace,...

But hey, its the best country in the world!
Thomas W. Sarver

"The complexity of a system is proportional to the factorial of its atoms.  One
can only hope to minimize the complexity of the micro-system in which one
finds oneself."
	-TWS

Addendum: "... or migrate to a less complex micro-system."