[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Announces Hard Disk Controller Upgrade?

rmeyers@tle.dec.com (Randy Meyers 381-2743 ZKO2-3/N30) (05/04/88)

My dealer told me that last week Commodore officially told him
that it would be possible to upgrade an A2090 disk controller
to a A2090a disk controller by swapping one or two chips.

In other words, a simple upgrade to the current Commodore hard
disk controller will allow it to act as a boot device under
Kickstart 1.3.

My dealer did not have any price information on this upgrade.
He wasn't sure if the chip(s) that needed replacement were
socketed, but he suspected that they were.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?  Would the Commodore
folks like to confirm or deny this statement?

Randy Meyers, not representing Digital Equipment Corporation
	USENET:	{decwrl|decvax|decuac}!tle.dec.com!rmeyers
	ARPA:	rmeyers%tle.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (05/05/88)

In article <8805040727.AA18832@decwrl.dec.com> rmeyers@tle.dec.com (Randy Meyers 381-2743 ZKO2-3/N30) writes:
>My dealer told me that last week Commodore officially told him
>that it would be possible to upgrade an A2090 disk controller
>to a A2090a disk controller by swapping one or two chips.
>
>In other words, a simple upgrade to the current Commodore hard
>disk controller will allow it to act as a boot device under
>Kickstart 1.3.
>
>My dealer did not have any price information on this upgrade.
>He wasn't sure if the chip(s) that needed replacement were
>socketed, but he suspected that they were.
>
>Has anyone else heard anything about this?  Would the Commodore
>folks like to confirm or deny this statement?

>Randy Meyers, not representing Digital Equipment Corporation
>	USENET:	{decwrl|decvax|decuac}!tle.dec.com!rmeyers
>	ARPA:	rmeyers%tle.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

Seems that a 2090a card has roms on it for the autoboot code. The 2090
card does not. Don't know how your gonna plug those roms into
non-existent sockets. Sorry, but this sounds unlikely.

Hedley