[comp.sys.amiga] Help needed with disk installations

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (04/26/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga

I just returned from the Trenton Computer Fair with a bunchload of
slightly used drives for my A2000, and I need some help.  Please
excuse me if I've managed to ignore already-posted answers to these.

1) Second internal floppy, 3 1/2" NEC model FD 1036 A.  The Amiga 2000
manual was wonderfully clear on installing a second floppy: "Read the
instructions that come with your drive."  No such instructions.  I
plugged in the "middle" plug for both the big and little cables.  I
think I'm not setting the jumpers right.  Best result: system boots up
but never finds df1:.  The NEC has two jumpers, DX and MON. I've tried
all combinations.  DX=1 or 2 are the only ones that let my df0: still
work; MON=anything doesn't have a visible effect.  Do I also need to
change a jumper in my old df0:?  It is a Matsushita, and contains a
bewildering number of jumpers.

2) Hard disk.  I'm going to replace my Miniscribe ST506 (which works
fine but is too small, too slow) with a Quantum Q280: SCSI, 80 megs,
28ms, 1/2 hgt 5 1/4".  I have an A2090 controller.  Several questions:
This drive came with no instructions and NO bad sector map.  The prep
program allows you to manually enter bad sectors (as I did for my
Miniscribe).  Question one: Does prep do its own testing for bad
sectors?  If not, where can I get a program to do this testing?
Question two: There is a 50 pin connector on the Quantum as expected,
and the 4-pin power connector; and also a 16-pin connector.  Can I
ignore the 16-pin connector?  Question three:  There are some jumpers
on the Quantum.  How should I set them to select SCSI device 0?
Question four:  What is the number of surfaces, cylinders, and sectors
per cylinder of this drive?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."
--

gunther@cbmvax.UUCP (Ed Gunther QA) (05/05/88)

In article <2203@antique.UUCP> cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>

> 1) Second internal floppy, 3 1/2" NEC model FD 1036 A.  The Amiga 2000
> manual was wonderfully clear on installing a second floppy: "Read the
> instructions that come with your drive."  No such instructions.  I
> plugged in the "middle" plug for both the big and little cables.  I
> think I'm not setting the jumpers right.  Best result: system boots up
> but never finds df1:.  The NEC has two jumpers, DX and MON. I've tried
> all combinations.  DX=1 or 2 are the only ones that let my df0: still
> work; MON=anything doesn't have a visible effect.  Do I also need to
> change a jumper in my old df0:?  It is a Matsushita, and contains a
> bewildering number of jumpers.

     Did you close jumper j301 on your 2000 motherboard?  It is located by
     the 34 pin floppy header on the motherboard.  Your second internal drive
     will not work if this isn't done.  Jumper your NEC drive as DX = 1.  You
     do not need to change any jumpers on your current df0: drive.

> 2) Hard disk.  I'm going to replace my Miniscribe ST506 (which works
> fine but is too small, too slow) with a Quantum Q280: SCSI, 80 megs,
> 28ms, 1/2 hgt 5 1/4".  I have an A2090 controller.  Several questions:
> This drive came with no instructions and NO bad sector map.  The prep
> program allows you to manually enter bad sectors (as I did for my
> Miniscribe).  Question one: Does prep do its own testing for bad
> sectors?  If not, where can I get a program to do this testing?

     Your SCSI drive should handle bad blocks for you but I believe you can
     also specify them if you wish.  In addition, the AmigaDOS format
     exeercises each block looking for bad blocks.

> Question two: There is a 50 pin connector on the Quantum as expected,
> and the 4-pin power connector; and also a 16-pin connector.  Can I
> ignore the 16-pin connector?

     The 16-pin connector is test connector for Quantum's use only.  You
     can therefore ignore it.

  Question three:  There are some jumpers
> on the Quantum.  How should I set them to select SCSI device 0?

     Leave jumpers A0 A1 and A2 open for SCSI device 0, also known as
     AmigaDOS unit 3 and dh2:

> Question four:  What is the number of surfaces, cylinders, and sectors
> per cylinder of this drive?

     The prep program has an entry for this drive.  However, the drive has the
     following physical specs:

                          surfaces             6
                          cylinders          823
                          sectors/cylinder    32

     but the number of user sectors per cylinder is 190.  Therefore, you must
     specify the following in your mountlist and in prep(if you do it manually)
     to properly prep and format the drive:

                          surfaces             2
                          cylinders          823
                          sectors/cylinder    95

     where you will notice that the surfaces * (sectors/cylinder) = 190.
     This "trick" can be used with other SCSI drives where the number of user
     sectors per cylinder does not equal the number of surfaces times the
     number of sectors per cylinder.

> Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
>
> 	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

  __  Ed Gunther            COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
 /        /\                "The LAST line of defense. (PERIOD)"
<    ==  /__\               UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!gunther
 \__    /    \              PHONE 215-431-9356 (life or death only please!)
     "Disclaimer, heck no!  NOooo PROBLEM.  You have myyyy word on it."

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt J. Lidl) (05/06/88)

In article <2203@antique.UUCP> cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:

>1) Second internal floppy, 3 1/2" NEC model FD 1036 A.  The Amiga 2000
>manual was wonderfully clear on installing a second floppy: "Read the
>instructions that come with your drive."  No such instructions.  I
>plugged in the "middle" plug for both the big and little cables.  I
>think I'm not setting the jumpers right.  Best result: system boots up
>but never finds df1:.

When I got my b2000, I also got a second drive and 2 meg card with it.
Naturally, I had to install them myself (the wonders of CMO!).
At any rate, to install the second drive, you need to jumper not the
drive, but the motherboard.  If I remember correctly, there is a
jumper near the floppy connector on the mother-board.  I needed to remove
the cable to jumper it...  I remember the instructions saying something
about the drive not being recognized if theis jumper was not set.  I
don't remember having to jumper the drive at all.  Hope this helps.
I don't have the manual here at school, sorry.

>	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

	Kurt J. Lidl