[comp.sys.amiga] Need help fast

KQS@PSUVMA.BITNET (Kevin Sullivan) (05/04/88)

This message posted from r38 at psuvm, regardless of what address it
seems to come from.
.
I asked before, and did not get an answer, so I ask here: what does green
mean in a bootup sequence before the shades of grey start?  That is a
diagnostics color, but what does it signify?
Thank you,
-------
           RAEGIS aka Marc Rifkin    of Vertech, Inc.
 ONLY                 r38 at psuvm.psu.edu (?)
 UNTIL     >>>        132 Beaver Hall Univ. Park 16802
 5/6/88               814-862-6892

maj1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Major Robinson jr.) (05/05/88)

In article <41357KQS@PSUVMA> KQS@PSUVMA.BITNET (Kevin Sullivan) writes:
>This message posted from r38 at psuvm, regardless of what address it
>seems to come from.
>I asked before, and did not get an answer, so I ask here: what does green
>mean in a bootup sequence before the shades of grey start?  That is a
>diagnostics color, but what does it signify?

"Green always indicates a problem with memory."  I remember reading that a
long time ago on the net.  The same thing occurs when I do a cold boot, but
never when I do a warm boot.  Also, I get the entire 512K and never seem to
have problems out of the ordinary.  Therefore, I was not sure if I had a
problem or not, or if memory was only checked during a cold boot.

I put off responding in hopes that someone else has a more definitive
or extensive answer.  Does everyone else see green at the start of a cold
boot?

Major Robinson

nic@dworld.UUCP (Nic Bernstein) (05/05/88)

	The original poster wants to know the meaning of a green screen
    during the boot sequence.  A followup article (from Major Robinson)
    states that "Green always means memory", I believe that this is only
    partially true.  From my recollection green means an address fault or
    error.  My 1000 started to have boot problems (just before my 2000
    showed up for the trade in, boo-hoo :-() and would show a green screen
    after completing kickstart.  I immediately suspected memory problems,
    but it turned out to be one of the 8520 chips (the one on the serial
    port).  This seems to be a "common" failure mode; ie the only people I
    know who have had mother baord failures have suffered failed 8520's.  I
    would check this first.

					-Good Luck

---
"You can't spend your history!"		Nic Bernstein
	Melinda Briggerty		Discovery World Museum
"... but you can sell it!"		818 W. Wisconsin av.
	Me				Milwaukee, WI 53233
		{uunet|uwmcsd1|gryphon}!marque{!introl}!dworld!nic

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/06/88)

Amiga Diagnostic Colors:

Green		RAM Bad
Red		ROM Checksum Bad
Blue		Custom Chips Bad

Yellow		Exception

Dark Grey	Hardware is OK
Light Grey	Software is OK

There are one or two more, depending on your machine.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page