[comp.sys.amiga] Some ARP questions

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (05/04/88)

A couple of dumb questions about ARP:
  a) Is there some cookbook or other guidance for getting it set up?
     My WB disk has something like 40 free blocks on it, so I obviously
     can't just merge the ARP stuff in.  Is there some "installation" guide
     for what things you can move/delete when you put ARP in place?
  b) With all of the words about Manx/Lattice bindings in the prodocs, I have
     a pretty bizarre question: I assume that arp.library is compatible
     with Basic, yes?  I can handle cobbling up a .bmap file for it (I'm
     pretty sure), but all that stuff about compiler differences and using
     the right loader and stuff confused me a bit (as a non-combatant in the
     C wars, all the doings and details are a bit mysterious...alink and
     blink (you'd think C would use "Clink", no?), per-compiler "bindings" --
     what's that?  Just a fancy name for "include file"? etc...).
  c) Are the *unformatted* documents available (that is, the source
     files).  They surely look machine-formatted --  If I could get at
     the sources, I could take a run at two things: (1) making the
     thing suitable for printing on a laserprinter (which primarily
     means replacing the funny escape sequences with something more
     palatable to our printer here, although being able to take
     advantage of using a real (ie., not fixed width) font and the like
     would be nice, too), and (2) Icould probably get it scaled down to
     6x9, which I find to be a handier size for a manual (you just GBC
     bind it and you're home free). [if I succeed in this, I'd be happy
     to share the "improved" (by my standards) manuals with the rest of
     you]
  d) Does Microsmiths really exist?  I thought I'd spare you-all these dumb
     questions by calling Microsmiths directly (after all, they're right here
     in Cambridge), but it's been a week now and I've never been able to get
     anyone to answer the phone.
   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Labs, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) (05/05/88)

in article <24183@bbn.COM>, cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) says:
>   a) Is there some cookbook or other guidance for getting it set up?
>      My WB disk has something like 40 free blocks on it, so I obviously
>      can't just merge the ARP stuff in.  Is there some "installation" guide
>      for what things you can move/delete when you put ARP in place?

  I could be completely off the wall here, but I believe the whole idea is to
replace all your AmigaDOS commands with th corrisponding (sp?) ARP command (if
you have the ARP command on your ARP disk, copy it over to your WorkBench disk).
The ARP commands are smaller than their AmigaDOS counterparts, so I'm sure that
you'll find that you have more space on your disk after copying everything over.
                                --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ihnp4!att-ih, ames}!killer!davidg
                       INET: davidg@killer.UUCP

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/06/88)

In article <3992@killer.UUCP>, davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) writes:
> in article <24183@bbn.COM>, cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) says:
> >   a) Is there some cookbook or other guidance for getting it set up?
> >      My WB disk has something like 40 free blocks on it, so I obviously
> >      can't just merge the ARP stuff in.  Is there some "installation" guide
> >      for what things you can move/delete when you put ARP in place?
>
>   I could be completely off the wall here, but I believe the whole idea is to
> replace all your AmigaDOS commands with th corrisponding (sp?) ARP command (if
> you have the ARP command on your ARP disk, copy it over to your WorkBench disk).

Well, there is one other thing you *must* do:  copy "arp.library" to your
libs: directory.  I suggest copying the library first, then the actual ARP
commands (to c:).  If you try doing it the other way around, you'll find
out that the ARP version of "copy" won't work, since it needs to open the
arp.library ...

Since your WB is nearly full, you may need to delete some of the AmigaDOS
cmds that the ARP versions will replace.

Lastly, you *may* want to use the "set" command to tailor the way the
copy command works, and the format used to display the date.  This is
all documented in the "man pages".

As always, do this on a COPY of your WB floppy, in case you run into any
problems!

Oh, and for anyone who is using an older version of the ARP commands,
you'll need to reboot so that the new version of arp.library will get
OpenLibrary()'d.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim