[comp.sys.amiga] ARP 1.1 Copy command

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (04/27/88)

Someone just posted a message regarding the Arp 1.1 copy command. They
said something about spaces and/or quotes messing it up. The example
given was something like

    copy "My boot disk 1:c" to ram:c

It was stated that after the above was run from the startup-sequence
nothing happened. No error message and no copying.

Well, I don't think the problem is the quotes or spaces BUT there is
a problem. I just installed arp 1.1 and my startup-sequence is similar.
One of my boot disks has a volume name of C_Disk#1 (note: NO spaces).
I do a

    copy C_Disk#1:c to ram:c

This don't work either (i.e. no error mesg and no copying being done).
But if I do

    copy df0:c to ram:c

then everything works fine.

So, it seems to me that the problem is that the arp copy command does
not recognize disk volume names (I haven't checked if it has the same
problem with logical names in general). This is bothersome to me as I
use two disks to get up and running and I didn't need to worry about
which disk went in which drive (i.e it didn't matter). Now (with arp)
I need to specify df0: and df1: explicitly (or keep the old AmigaDos
copy command around).

I love arp and am generally pleased with it. I just wanted to bring this
to everyones attention in hopes that a fixed copy command could be posted
soon.

				Bret

usenet:  ihnp4!pur-ee!youngb
ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.UUCP

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (04/27/88)

In article <8008@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
>   [ ... ]
>One of my boot disks has a volume name of C_Disk#1 (note: NO spaces).
>I do a
>
>    copy C_Disk#1:c to ram:c
>
>This don't work either (i.e. no error mesg and no copying being done).
>But if I do
>
>    copy df0:c to ram:c
>
>then everything works fine.

Isn't # a DOS wildcard character?  I think it means "repeat the last char
an 0-indefinite number of times" (remember that ARP support both the Amiga
wild card chars as well as the Unix ones) so you're asking it to copy
C_Dis1:c or C_Disk1:c or C_Diskk1:c, etc. to ram:c.  Another thought just
struck me...don't you need to either append /* (or /?# for AmigaDOS types)
to the source filename or add the ALL switch?  I dunno, just food for
thought.

--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (04/27/88)

In article <8008@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:

>Someone just posted a message regarding the Arp 1.1 copy command. They
>said something about spaces and/or quotes messing it up. The example
>given was something like
>
>    copy "My boot disk 1:c" to ram:c
Yesterday i finally after 3 months got to play with Power Windows.
At some point Lattice C V4.1 (nice job on the bboard updates, Lattice!
way to go!) put up a requestor:
Please insert volume 2.0 in any drive.
So i changed the disk named
PowerWindows 2.0
pw2.0
and the problem was fixed. Not sure what piece of software
is screwing up here, but at a guess i would say lc1.
ron
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

glewis@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Glenn M. Lewis) (04/27/88)

	I just noticed that both people who said the ARP 1.1 "copy" command
didn't work for them both had examples with the "#" character in the source
filename.  That is,

copy Mydisk#1:c ram:c
   and
copy "This is a long volume name#1:c" ram:c

	Could it be that the "#" character is messing up the ARP copy
command? I believe it is a wildcard meaning match one (or zero) or more of
the *following* character, in which case (for the first example, it would
match for volumes named:

Mydisk:, Mydisk1:, Mydisk111111:, etc.

And since a volume was not in one of the drives at the time of the copy,
it did a search on the volume names, and couldn't find it (and, of course,
will not put up a requestor for "anything that matches this pattern"), so
it ignored the command.

	Thus, it looks as if you will have to delimit this special wildcard
character by the normal delimiter.  What is it in AmigaDOS or ARP?  Is it
the "@"?  If it is, type:

copy Mydisk@#1:c ram:c

	That should hopefully work.

							-- Glenn Lewis
--
glewis@cit-vax.caltech.edu

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (04/29/88)

In article <29950@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) writes:
>In article <8008@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
>>   [ ... ]
>>One of my boot disks has a volume name of C_Disk#1 (note: NO spaces).
>>I do a
>>
>>    copy C_Disk#1:c to ram:c
>>
>>This don't work either (i.e. no error mesg and no copying being done).
>>But if I do
>>
>>    copy df0:c to ram:c
>>
>>then everything works fine.
>
>Isn't # a DOS wildcard character?  I think it means "repeat the last char
>an 0-indefinite number of times" (remember that ARP support both the Amiga
>wild card chars as well as the Unix ones) so you're asking it to copy
>C_Dis1:c or C_Disk1:c or C_Diskk1:c, etc. to ram:c.
>>
>--
>Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

Your right (partly). I tried the command without the '#'. The Arp copy
then worked. However, the AmigaDOS copy command works either way.
It seems that Arp is somewhat more consistent with its parsing of
arguments except that the Arp relabel command will also let me label a
disk with a volume name containing a '#' (same as the AmigaDOS relabel).
So, it seems that the Arp copy works if you are careful of how you
label your disks. I guess I shouldn't be using names containing special
characters anyway (it didn't cross my mind much though as the relabel
command let me do it). But if Arp is supposed to only ADD functionality
to the existing commands and not change any functionality then I would
still call this a bug. I can live with it though.

drs-ano@duvan.nada.kth.se (Gunnar Nordmark) (04/29/88)

In article <8008@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
>Well, I don't think the problem is the quotes or spaces BUT there is
>a problem. I just installed arp 1.1 and my startup-sequence is similar.
>One of my boot disks has a volume name of C_Disk#1 (note: NO spaces).
>I do a
>
>    copy C_Disk#1:c to ram:c
>
>This don't work either (i.e. no error mesg and no copying being done).
>But if I do
>
>    copy df0:c to ram:c
>
>then everything works fine.
>
>So, it seems to me that the problem is that the arp copy command does
>not recognize disk volume names (I haven't checked if it has the same
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NO! NO! NO!!!!

The problem is that you use '#' in the volume name. ARP recognize this
as some kind of wild card and gets screwed up.
This is indeed a bug, but a minor one in my opinion.

So, don't abandon ARP :-) Just don't use #:s, *:s or ?:s in file names.

Besides,
Making something *completely* compatible with AmigaDOS is a job that
I don't even wish my worst enemys to do. :-)

SNAIL: Gunnar Nordmark          VOICE: +46 8 755 42 52   (Abroad)
       Nora strand 5                    08 - 755 42 52   (Sweden)
       S-182 34 DANDERYD
       SWEDEN                   EMAIL: nordmark@epsilon.stacken.kth.se

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (05/02/88)

Ok, ARP copy recognizes # and AmigaDOS doesn't hence the problem.
Given that there may be others like the poster who have lots of
disks with # in their name, maybe a future version of ARP could
allow you to escape the # sign.

I mean really, suppose this guy got rid of all his AmigaDOS commands,
(a really stupid thing to do), how would he ARP:rename this disk?

ANSWER: hcneBW esU

	This space would have been	|	Mike Davis
	LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK	|	ihnp4!ihlpm!jmdavis
	had I not written in it. 	|_________________________

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/02/88)

In <8018@pur-ee.UUCP>, youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
> But if Arp is supposed to only ADD functionality
>to the existing commands and not change any functionality then I would
>still call this a bug. I can live with it though.

I would sure like to see the JOIN command fixed up so that it doesn't
clobber a file if the same filename is used as both an source and
destination. Of course this enhancement might be considered a bug by anyone
who uses it as a handy way to delete the contents of a file while leaving
its name in the directory. :-)

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.

nic@dworld.UUCP (Nic Bernstein) (05/03/88)

In article <340@draken.nada.kth.se> nordmark@epsilon.stacken.kth.se (Gunnar Nordmark) writes:
>In article <8008@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
>>I do a
>>    copy C_Disk#1:c to ram:c
>>This don't work either (i.e. no error mesg and no copying being done).
>>But if I do
>>    copy df0:c to ram:c
>>then everything works fine.
>>
>>So, it seems to me that the problem is that the arp copy command does
>>not recognize disk volume names (I haven't checked if it has the same
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>NO! NO! NO!!!!
>The problem is that you use '#' in the volume name. ARP recognize this
>as some kind of wild card and gets screwed up.
>This is indeed a bug, but a minor one in my opinion.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Besides,
>Making something *completely* compatible with AmigaDOS is a job that
>I don't even wish my worst enemys to do. :-)

	In the ARP documentation, "Why ARP?" it is stated that beyond
    compatibility with amigaDos, one of the purposes of Arp was that the
    commands all have a standard template.  Some of the original commands
    accepted wild cards, and some didn't.  Some of them accepted multiple
    filenames, and some didn't.  In ARP all of the commands accept
    wildcards and multiple filenames.  # is a valid wildcard in both
    AmigaDos and in ARP ( for compatibility ) meaning "match any number of
    occurences of the previous character."  hence when it encounters
    "CDisk#1:" the wild card expansion becomes "CDisk{any number of k's}1:"

	This internal consistancy was one of the motivations behind ARP and
    rests in the fact that the ARP commands all use Arp.library for such
    things as wildcard expansion.  To say that ARP's treatment of wildcards
    in a consistant manner is a bug is rediculous.  Special characters were
    not meant to be used in filenames for that would belie their use as
    wildcards.  If you insist on using special characters such as # * ? in
    your file names than you must tell ARP to ignore then by quoting the
    name, ie "CDisk#1:" instead of CDisk#1:.

	This is not a bug with ARP, it is operator error.

--
"You can't spend your history!"		Nic Bernstein
	Melinda Briggerty		Discovery World Museum

jesup@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (05/03/88)

>In article <8008@pur-ee.UUCP> youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
>>One of my boot disks has a volume name of C_Disk#1 (note: NO spaces).
>>I do a
>>    copy C_Disk#1:c to ram:c

>>But if I do
>>    copy df0:c to ram:c
>>then everything works fine.

	Actually, this is a bug in AmigaDos Copy as well, and I reported it
months ago.  Rename your disk without the '#'.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup
(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP (Robert Beaty) (05/03/88)

<<<<<>>>>>

Listen, I am the guy that started this first. I think some of you are really
missing the point...

>>>I do a
>>>    copy C_Disk#1:c to ram:c
>>>This don't work either (i.e. no error mesg and no copying being done).
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>NO! NO! NO!!!!
>>The problem is that you use '#' in the volume name. ARP recognize this
>>as some kind of wild card and gets screwed up.
>>This is indeed a bug, but a minor one in my opinion.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	In the ARP documentation, "Why ARP?" it is stated that beyond
>    compatibility with amigaDos, ...

Here's my original point: It is NOT compatible because AmigaDOS allows
wildcards in the disk volume names WITHOUT expansion! This can certainly
be considered a inconsistancy in AmigaDOS, but it is there none the less...

>             ...If you insist on using special characters such as # * ? in
>    your file names than you must tell ARP to ignore then by quoting the
>    name, ie "CDisk#1:" instead of CDisk#1:.

Read my, or the top posting, ARP will NOT allow your "CDisk#1:"!

>	This is not a bug with ARP, it is operator error.

Wrong!

Please, I didn't want this to get into bashing, but I seem to be drawn to
explanation of the obvious. If the clever, even brilliant, creators of
ARP (AmigaDOS REPLACEMENT Project) truely wish it to be a REPLACEMENT then
they should be aware that certain commands which work under AmigaDOS do
NOT work under their version of the command. That's all. Period. End of
discussion.

C. Heath, et. al. You have a great concept, and implementation, just please
look into this and see if there is not some way that this incompatibility
can be fixed... Of not, if it is not that important...

				Bob
----------
   ... ihnp4!pur-ee!beatyr      <- usenet
  ... beatyr@ee.ecn.purdue.edu  <- arpa-net
   ... beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP       <- UUCP
----------

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (05/03/88)

In article <428@dworld.UUCP> nic@dworld.UUCP (Nic Bernstein) writes:
>    If you insist on using special characters such as # * ? in
>    your file names than you must tell ARP to ignore then by quoting the
>    name, ie "CDisk#1:" instead of CDisk#1:.

No. The quotes don't seem to matter (with Arp copy anyway).
In other words neither
		copy "CDisk#1:c" ram:c
	nor
		copy  CDisk#1:c ram:c
will work with the Arp copy.

					Bret
usenet:  ihnp4!pur-ee!youngb
ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.UUCP

In article <428@dworld.UUCP>, nic@dworld.UUCP (Nic Bernstein) writes:
>     If you insist on using special characters such as # * ? in
>     your file names than you must tell ARP to ignore then by quoting the
>     name, ie "CDisk#1:" instead of CDisk#1:.

The subject says it all.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

drs-ano@duvan.nada.kth.se (Gunnar Nordmark) (05/07/88)

In article <428@dworld.UUCP> nic@dworld.UUCP (Nic Bernstein) writes:
>	In the ARP documentation, "Why ARP?" it is stated that beyond
>    compatibility with amigaDos, one of the purposes of Arp was that the
>    commands all have a standard template.
>    (stuff deleted)                   In ARP all of the commands accept
>    wildcards and multiple filenames.  # is a valid wildcard in both
>    AmigaDos and in ARP ( for compatibility ) meaning "match any number of
>    occurences of the previous character."  hence when it encounters
>    "CDisk#1:" the wild card expansion becomes "CDisk{any number of k's}1:"
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work with Arp 1.1 (REL2).
When it encounters a # in a *volume name* it failes to find a match for that
name even if a valid one exists. If you try e.g. Copy Disk#1:foo VD0:
nothing happens, even if you have a volume named Disk1 or Disk111 with a
file named foo in it's root directory.

>	This internal consistancy was one of the motivations behind ARP and
>    rests in the fact that the ARP commands all use Arp.library for such
>    things as wildcard expansion.  To say that ARP's treatment of wildcards
>    in a consistant manner is a bug is rediculous.

I agree, but this *is* a bug so I think that people have the right to be
confused.