[comp.sys.amiga] 3d graphics

jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) (05/06/88)

I saw a 3d movie last night, and when I got the red/green glasses, I
started wondering if the Amiga could be used to produce images for use
with these glasses. For example, what is the best way to display the two
images? Rapidly alternate between them, or use red bits for one image
and green for the other?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Jack Orenstein

backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (05/07/88)

{Line eater food...}

In the manual that accompanies Digi-View they explain briefly the procedure
needed to create red-green 3d images.  I guess it could be done with some
of the animation packages either by creating two sets of all objects and
placing them slightly apart from one another or by somehow designing the
objects with the red-green "split" already in each.

 | James Colyer | #define LIFE (?) | AMIGA!  //// |  Running his 1 Meg Amiga  |
 |---------------------------------|        ////  |   1000 from a Lobby (!)   |
 | Net: backstro@silver.bacs.      |       ////   |---------------------------|
 |       indiana.edu               |      ////    | "There is no dark side on |
 | USSnail: 4755 N. Kinser Pike,   | \\\\////     |  the moon, really. Matter |
 |          Bloomington, IN, 47401 |  \\XX//      |  of fact it's all dark."  |
 | The opinions expressed are those of a sick and deranged maniac.  Poor sod. |

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (05/09/88)

In article <27719@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:

>I saw a 3d movie last night, and when I got the red/green glasses, I
>started wondering if the Amiga could be used to produce images for use
>with these glasses. For example, what is the best way to display the two
>images? Rapidly alternate between them, or use red bits for one image
>and green for the other?

  There is a PD (? ShareWare) game called 3D-BreakOut thats really wild!
  I played it quite some time ago (pre 500 era). You may just want to track
  down a copy and have a look at what can be done. The game is not very
  hard to beat, but the 3D effects are very well done. For this reason
  alone its worth looking into.          (It can be found on Fish #50)

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

In article <27719@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:
>I saw a 3d movie last night, and when I got the red/green glasses, I
>started wondering if the Amiga could be used to produce images for use
>with these glasses.

	Check out 3DStars on Fish Dish #33, which I wrote many moons ago.
Also, there's a 3D Breakout game someone wrote which is also very good.
Both of these use the red/blue glasses trick.

>For example, what is the best way to display the two
>images? Rapidly alternate between them, or use red bits for one image
>and green for the other?

	Flickering LCD glasses enable you to see full color 3D, whereas
red/blue 3D tends to give peope headaches.  Mind you, the flickering glasses
can give you headache too, but it's no worse than, say, an interlace
workbench.

	BTW, a curious side effect of MicroWay's flickerFixer is that it
breaks flickering LCD-based 3D, since it eliminates the flicker, resulting
in very weird displays.

>Does anyone have experience with this?

	Yup.  I keep promising the Net that we'll release something Real
Soon Now.  I keep telling Gary that the market is ripe and clamoring for
this stuff, and he keeps saying, "Yeah, we'll do it.  You have MY word on
it."  So I have no idea when my stuff will be released.  Wade Bickel will
probably beat us to the shelves (which isn't necessarily a bad thing; I saw
his stuff at DevCon, and it looks real good.  It'd be even better if he
didn't stomp multitasking).  Sigh.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac