[comp.sys.amiga] Speaker for the Bridgeboard?

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (05/05/88)

    I asked this question once before and never received a response, so I
thought I'd give it another try.
    Has anyone hooked up a speaker to their Bridgeboard? I have a friend who
tried but it didn't seem to work. Is there any special type os speaker that's
needed?
    I'd like to have a speaker because there are times when those little beeps
would be useful. If anyone here on the net or at Commodore knows anything
about this I would appreciate their leaving me a message.

                                                         ...Art

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (05/05/88)

In article <2915@crash.cts.com> artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) writes:

>    I asked this question once before and never received a response, so I
>thought I'd give it another try.
>    Has anyone hooked up a speaker to their Bridgeboard? I have a friend who
>tried but it didn't seem to work. Is there any special type os speaker that's
>needed?
>    I'd like to have a speaker because there are times when those little beeps
>would be useful. If anyone here on the net or at Commodore knows anything
>about this I would appreciate their leaving me a message.
>
>                                                         ...Art

   I have connected speaker's to a few bridgeboards with no problems. I use
  a cheap ($$) little speaker from radio shack and they work great. No special
  tricks or hardware required. Just a simple plug an go (listen).

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

wayne@utflis.UUCP (Wayne Young) (05/06/88)

In article <2915@crash.cts.com> artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) writes:

>    I asked this question once before and never received a response, so I
>thought I'd give it another try.
>    Has anyone hooked up a speaker to their Bridgeboard? I have a friend who
>tried but it didn't seem to work. Is there any special type os speaker that's
>needed?
>    I'd like to have a speaker because there are times when those little beeps
>would be useful. If anyone here on the net or at Commodore knows anything
>about this I would appreciate their leaving me a message.
>
>                                                         ...Art

I got my speaker hooked up, and no you don't need any special sort of
speaker.  I'm using a 1-1/2 inch 8-ohm speaker that's rated at about
1 watt.  Read on, though.  I had a devil of a time getting it to work.

If you hook up you speaker and you can't get a peep out of it, then
chances are you have the same problem I had.  Are you handy with a
soldering iron?  If you aren't, get your bridgeboard repaired by somebody
who isn't, like the people at Commodore.  Chances are, the amplifier
on the bridgeboard is busted, and you'll have to replace a few components
to fix it.

Look closely at the board near the two-pin speaker jack.  You'll notice
a discrete NPN transistor and several discrete resistors in a fairly
tight cluster.  The components form an emitter coupled amp.  If you look
closely you'll see a 100-ohm resistor (colours brown-black-brown) connected
between a positive supply rail and the base of the transistor.  Anything
sound funny yet?  You bet.  This is supposed to be the bias resistor,
and it's kinda small.  Too small, in fact.  You end up losing quite a
bit of the signal since it's so small.  And the transistor is improperly
biased.  Anyways, replace this with a friendly 3.3K resistor.  Actually,
you should experiment and choose a different value because this resistor
sets the volume of the sound.  If you can find a small 10K preset, then
work that in there.  Lastly, you'll probably have to replace the NPN
transistor itself.  Any small signal, general purpose transistor should
work okay.

I hope this works out for you.  I had a fun time invalidating my warranty,
and I'm very disappointed in Commodore for failing to properly design
a simple emitter coupled amp.  Can you say "Oops", guys?

--
-----
       {uunet,utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utflis!wayne

holmes@dasys1.UUCP (David Holmes) (05/07/88)

In article <2915@crash.cts.com> artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) writes:
>    Has anyone hooked up a speaker to their Bridgeboard? I have a friend who
>tried but it didn't seem to work. Is there any special type os speaker that's
>needed?

Yes, as a matter of fact I plugged mine in last night and have had no
problems whatsoever. I heisted mine out of a dead PC we had at the office
the only real problem is that there's really no place to put it so I ended
up just draping it over one of the wires in the thing. I did have to swap
one of the connections but that was probably because it came out of a clone
as opposed to the real thing.

--
David Holmes
323 Seward Place

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (05/09/88)

   Thanx for the reply to my question about putting a speaker on the
Bridgeboard. I was unsure about it mainly because a friend of mine had tried
it and it didn't work. But I guess he must have been doing something wrong. I
was therefore hesitant to try it until I heard from someone who could tell me
for sure that it is possible.

                                                          ...Art

mgh@ho4cad.ATT.COM (05/11/88)

In article <2915@crash.cts.com>, artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) writes:

>     I asked this question once before and never received a response, so I
> thought I'd give it another try.
>     Has anyone hooked up a speaker to their Bridgeboard? I have a friend who
> tried but it didn't seem to work. Is there any special type os speaker that's
> needed?
>     I'd like to have a speaker because there are times when those little beeps
> would be useful. If anyone here on the net or at Commodore knows anything
> about this I would appreciate their leaving me a message.
>
>                                                          ...Art

I just recently hooked up a speaker to my bridgeboard and it works
fine. I purchased a small 3" speaker from Radio Shack, attached
the two wires too pins on j2, and used a small section of Vel Cro
to connect the magnet of the small speaker to the inside case of
the 2000. Now I can listen to the blah sound of the PC software.

					Matt Hetman