[comp.sys.amiga] serial vs. parallel

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt J. Lidl) (05/12/88)

In article <628@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>In article <1959@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
>> No, I mean like everything but printers, just about, is serial.
>
>Um...  I'm not that old, and I've only been computing since about '77
>or so, and it's all been on micros (up untill last year), so I was
>just wondering..
>
>What peripherals besides printers have *ever* used parallel?

Well, let's see, on the Amiga:
	Digitizers (video and audio) and a harddisk

On my OLDER CBM equipment... (c64)

	The modem actually runs off a parallel port, along with a tricky
	bit of interrupt driven code.  I *personally* have interfaced
	a robotic arm to a parallel port on the C64 (if you call that
	a "peripheral"...  Also, a D/A converter, a A/D converter, and
	much, much more...

>I've used Commodore equip forever, so it seems, and Motorola S8000's,
>and a few other machines that had no parallel port whatsoever..  There
>was never anything I wanted to use, or heard of, or even just played
>with that needed parallel.  Except some goofy AT&T printers... :-)

Also, the IE488 is sorta a parallel device connector... HP finds it
useful for all sorts of stuff, as does the old CBM line where they
run printers, hard-disks, and other stuff off of it...

>J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
==  Kurt J. Lidl  (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)	(301)454-6849	==
==  UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!smaug		==
========"It's after 3am, no point in going to sleep now..."=======