[comp.sys.amiga] Timesaver & VD0:

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (05/12/88)

	I don't think this got out.  Sorry if it is a repost.

	About a year ago, somebody owning a C. Ltd. "Timesaver"
posted some advice on how to keep it from interfering with the
mounting of the VD0: recoverable RAM disk.

	The problem was this:  "Mount VD0:" MUST be the
first command executed in your startup-sequence.  However, the
Timesaver notices a warm reboot signal, sends a ^D to kill the
startup-sequence, and sends two commands to the Amiga:

		date <correct date & time>
		execute s:startup-sequence

The poster mentioned a way to have both Timesaver and VD0: coexist
peacefully; could he/she please re-post, or e-mail to me, or could
somebody else suggest a solution?  Thanks!
--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/13/88)

Dan Barrett writes:

>         I don't think this got out.  Sorry if it is a repost.
>
>         About a year ago, somebody owning a C. Ltd. "Timesaver"
> posted some advice on how to keep it from interfering with the
> mounting of the VD0: recoverable RAM disk.

Yes, it is a repost, but it is not your fault.  I posted the original
article about the TimeSaver.  I was going to respond to this the
first time around, but I didn't have the TimeSaver manual around me
to give you a good answer.  I still don't have the manual (long story
about not having a permanent residence at the moment) but hopefully I
can help you out.

> The poster mentioned a way to have both Timesaver and VD0: coexist
> peacefully; could he/she please re-post, or e-mail to me, or could
> somebody else suggest a solution?  Thanks!

    Basically, there is no problem with tossing in a DATE command
    right before doing the startup-sequence.  This will not damage
    the integrity of VD0:  -- you need not do anything special.  If
    for some reason you are especially paranoid about it, you can do
    the following:

    * disable the feature that sends a ^D to the system.  Leave the
    auto-date feature on.

    * set up your startup-sequence to say

    Mount VD0:
    Dir > Nil: VD0:

    and whatever else you feel you must do before the DATE command is
    executed -- ONLY.

    * Create a second file in your S: directory called post-startup
    that contains the rest of the things you want to do in your
    startup-sequence.

    * Set the auto-macro feature of TimeSaver to issue

    Execute S:Post-Startup

    and that should work.  Here is the chain of events from system
    boot:

    1.  Machine boots, reads Startup-Sequence, initializes VD0:

    2.  At the same time, TimeSaver sends the DATE command plus the
        auto-macro to the CLI.

    3.  When Startup-Sequence is finished processing, the DATE
        command is executed and the system date/time is set.

    4.  The auto-macro is then executed and Post-Startup executes.
        The rest of your startup commands are then executed.

Hope this helps.  This is from memory;  if I have spouted something
bogus please post or send me e-mail.

		    --M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"Memories are uncertain friends, when recalled by messages" -- OMD, "Messages"