[comp.sys.amiga] A real ARP Bug?

dcw@doc.ic.ac.uk (Duncan C White) (05/09/88)

I have been asked to post this for a friend: reply to me [or post news]

The following command works under AmigaDOS but not under ARP:

	copy raw:10/10/100/100/In raw:200/10/300/100/Out

In ARP, it gives the following message:

	Can't open raw:10/10/100/100/In

Asking 'why' gives:

	Last command failed because packet request type unknown

This error appears to occur on all ARP commands given a raw:In files.
However, copying a file to a raw:Out file works fine.

So, as the summary says: Does ARP suport raw:In files??

	Thanks in advance,
		Duncan.

Duncan White,           |       Flying is the art of aiming oneself
Dept. Of Computing,     |       at the ground and missing.
Imperial College,       |               -- Douglas Adams, So Long and Thanks
London SW7, England     |                  for all the fish.

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (05/11/88)

In article <285@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk>, dcw@doc.ic.ac.uk (Duncan C White) writes:

:> I have been asked to post this for a friend: reply to me [or post news]
:>
:> The following command works under AmigaDOS but not under ARP:
:>
:> 	copy raw:10/10/100/100/In raw:200/10/300/100/Out
:>
:: In ARP, it gives the following message:
:>
:> 	Can't open raw:10/10/100/100/In
:>
:> Asking 'why' gives:
:>
:> 	Last command failed because packet request type unknown
:>

I found this problem about two days ago and reported it to C. Heath.  In his
reply to me he said that the arp version of the command does a lock and
that causes it not to work with raw: and that it may be fixed in a future
release.

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!---\
                                   ihnp4!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (05/13/88)

In article <2987@bsu-cs.UUCP> jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:
>In article <285@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk>, dcw@doc.ic.ac.uk (Duncan C White) writes:
>:> The following command works under AmigaDOS but not under ARP:
>:>
>:> 	copy raw:10/10/100/100/In raw:200/10/300/100/Out

Why do you want to do this?  (No flame, I really can't think of a use
for this.)

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (05/13/88)

In article <9691@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
> >:> The following command works under AmigaDOS but not under ARP:
> >:>
> >:> 	copy raw:10/10/100/100/In raw:200/10/300/100/Out
>
> Why do you want to do this?  (No flame, I really can't think of a use
> for this.)

In the AmigaDOS Developer's Manual, in Appendix A, page A-2 under the section
Helpful AmigaDOS Commands, it shows type and copy being used with raw: to help
you know what a raw: window sends back to you.  Probable a limited use to be
complete though, arp should handle the case, since it is documented.
--

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (05/14/88)

In article <9691@cisunx.UUCP> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>>:> 	copy raw:10/10/100/100/In raw:200/10/300/100/Out
>
>Why do you want to do this?  (No flame, I really can't think of a use
>for this.)

I do this occasionally too, when I've forgotten a console.device
escape sequence, or one of the report formats and don't have
my manuals handy.
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"C combines the power of assembly language with the flexibility of
 assembly language."