[comp.sys.amiga] Fix for empty drives which still clicck AFTER using Klickstart?

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (05/09/88)

I have a reasonably old A1000 (purchaed Sep-86, NO EHB), and I tried using
NoKLICKstart but I am one of those poor individuals which cannot use it.  My
drive (I have only one) clicks merrily away after applying the NoKLICKstart
patch, so I don't use it.  Was a fix ever invented (hardware or software)
which corrects the problem? I am going nuts, because I prefer not to have
_any_ disk in the drive, but I can't stand the noise.

Also: will this be fixed under KWS1.3?  Please?  I know that CA handed out
KS1.3 ROMS at DevCon (according to attendees), but did they fix it?  Will
there any significant difference between the disk version of KS1.3 and the
ROM version?

Thanks,
-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks      | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
                    |   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.
This space for rent |   ##
                    | ######  "You get it, you're closer."

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/09/88)

[followups to .tech]

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) wrote:
>Was a fix ever invented (hardware or software) which corrects the problem?

A couple of alternative schemes were proposed (all by Bryce, I think),
but weren't too desirable.  The best one I heard was to keep a disk
in your drive.

>Also: will this be fixed under KS1.3?

No, as it requires specific drives to work (as you know).  I've
patched my KS1.3 to not click.  I don't use Bryce's code; he does at
least 3 things incorrectly for my taste, but his has the advantage of
a program you can run, whereas my fix requires DiskZap (sadly,
Sectorama, DiskX and DiskCraft can't help) and doesn't check to make
sure you're not munging a different version of KS.

Let me know if you want to perform the surgery on your KS1.3.  Of
course it must be disk-based; it would be tough to patch your ROM.

Aside to old-time KS hackers ... I purposely munged the checksum to
see what the A1000 would do with an invalid KS ... nothing!  As if it
didn't even check it.  So I munged more blocks (ASCII text, not code)
and it still booted fine.  Whazzup?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/15/88)

In <6943@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
 >Aside to old-time KS hackers ... I purposely munged the checksum to
 >see what the A1000 would do with an invalid KS ... nothing!  As if it
 >didn't even check it.  So I munged more blocks (ASCII text, not code)
 >and it still booted fine.  Whazzup?

  Yes, I found that to be fascinating. I haven't tried it under 1.2 (I
can't even recall if it was under 1.1 or 1.0 I did try it), but when I
tried modifying a KS disk, I found that the machine would boot it OK, but
that a Vulcan Nerve Pinch prompted me for the KS again, rather than the WB.
It was as if the checksumming was only performed as the the result of a
three fingered salute, and not during the actual boot.

  My thought at the time was that perhaps it was that way so that the
engineers could easily patch the disk. (tsk tsk) to check quick fixes.
Maybe not... but it is rather interesting that it worked that way.

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.