[comp.sys.amiga] Ram: and VD0:

kpmancus@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Keith P. Mancus) (05/17/88)

   Could someone explain WHY RAM: is 6x faster than VD0:?  Is it
impossible to have a recoverable RAM disk that is anywhere near as
fast as RAM:?

  -Keith Mancus

In article <2926@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> (Keith P. Mancus) writes:
>   Could someone explain WHY RAM: is 6x faster than VD0:?  Is it
>impossible to have a recoverable RAM disk that is anywhere near as
>fast as RAM:?

Because VD0: is a device driver to a RAM based disk and RAM: is a
filesystem handler that uses ram. (VDK: is also a handler based
system that uses ram as well). Yes, you can get VD0: to run nearly
as fast as RAM, but you will have to wait for the fast file system
to do it.

--Chuck McManis

>   Could someone explain WHY RAM: is 6x faster than VD0:?  Is it
>impossible to have a recoverable RAM disk that is anywhere near as

	VD0: simulates a trackdisk.device and thus all access goes through
DOS's disk oriented filing system.  RAM: on the otherhand *is* a DOS device
driver and handles the packets (open/close/read/write....) directly.

>fast as RAM:?

	Easily.

>  -Keith Mancus
>  <kpmancus@phoenix.princeton.edu>