[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Tex, redux

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (04/20/88)

Can anyone forward me a hard pointer to Amiga Tex?  We are using Tex more and
more here at work and I decided that the time has come to tilt at the
windmill of getting them to buy a TeX for my Amiga at home...  so I curled up
with the latest AmigaWorld and Amazing and I can't find ANY ads for the
thing.  Does it really exist -- I suspect BBN  ain't gonna be very excited
about getting vaporware, or demoware, or betaware.  If it _does_ exist, I'll
probably have to get something approximating some real
literature/documentation about it to make the folks in purchasing happy.  Any
and all pointers, existence proofs, testimonials, etc will be gratefully
appreciated.  Thanks!!
   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Labs, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

rokicki@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (04/21/88)

In article <23631@bbn.COM>, cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
> Can anyone forward me a hard pointer to Amiga Tex?

Well, I suppose it's time to crawl out of my hole.  For information on
AmigaTeX, including a *free* demo disk, simply write me at:

	Radical Eye Software
	Box 2081
	Stanford, CA~~94309

AmigaTeX is neither betaware nor vaporware; the first beta was in
April of 1986, and the first release was on September 1, 1986.
And an ad will be in the next Amazing Computing.

-tom

jim@b11.UUCP (Jim Levie ) (04/22/88)

In article <23631@bbn.COM>, cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
> Can anyone forward me a hard pointer to Amiga Tex?  We are using Tex more and
> more here at work and I decided that the time has come to tilt at the
> windmill of getting them to buy a TeX for my Amiga at home...  so I curled up
> with the latest AmigaWorld and Amazing and I can't find ANY ads for the
> thing.  Does it really exist -- I suspect BBN  ain't gonna be very excited
> about getting vaporware, or demoware, or betaware.  If it _does_ exist, I'll
> probably have to get something approximating some real
> literature/documentation about it to make the folks in purchasing happy.  Any
> and all pointers, existence proofs, testimonials, etc will be gratefully
> appreciated.  Thanks!!

I've seen a couple of questions about this...

AmigaTeX is available from:

	Tomas Rokicki
	Radical Eye Software
	Box 2081
	Stanford, CA 94309
	Ph (415) 326-5312

An email address that should work is: ...polya.Stanford.EDU!rokicki

AmigaTeX is definitely not vaporware, betaware, or any other such strange
beast.  I've been using it (in various versions) for over a year now.  Tomas
has done a superb job. His standard package includes the best preview I've
ever seen.
  Almost all of our text preparation in done on Amiga's running
AmigaTeX. Even though we have both VMS and Unix systems with TeX installed,
the usual question is, "when can I have an Amiga and TeX?". It is far faster
and easier to prepare a document on the Amiga, with it's multiple windows
and TeX previewer, than it is on my Sun 3/180.  The Sun is a little faster,
but the Amiga has a much more sophisticated previewer.
  I have had very few problems with AmigaTeX, and the few that I did find
involved printer drivers which were reported to Tomas and fixed in less than
a week!  How's that for service.  I think that I've gotten about 3 major
updates to AmigaTeX in the last year, each better than the previous version.
Tomas's latest addition has been Metafont, which works terrifically.  I used
to build fonts on a Microvax, not any more, the Amiga is faster and has a neat
previewer for the Metafont output which is most useful in designing logos
and such.
  Our experience has been so good that we are gradually moving everyone who
needs to do much text processing off the multi-users systems and onto
networked Amiga's.

NOTE: Neither myself nor Remtech is affiliated in any way with Tomas Rokicki.

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Jim Levie   REMTECH Inc  Huntsville, Al

bph@ut-emx.UUCP (Butler Hine) (04/25/88)

[one of these days I won't put this here and see what happens]

I just wanted to add my two cents and say that Tom Rockiki's AmigaTeX
is one of the best software packages for the Amiga that I've ever seen.
I have access to a Vax 11/780 here that runs TeX and outputs to a
LaserWriter.  Since I got AmigaTeX, I do all of my TeXing local and
only upload the final TeX document when I want to print it out.  On
a loaded Vax, TeX runs much slower than it does on my Amiga, and the
previewer saves an enourmous amount of time.  It also costs less
than similar packages for the IBM-PC and the Macintosh.

Standard Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Radical Eye (i?) Software
aside from being a satisfied customer.  I just like to see good work
recognized.

--
                           Butler Hine
   Gabba,                  Dept. of Astronomy, University of Texas at Austin

jea@ur-cvsvax (Joanne Albano) (04/28/88)

There is a TeX interpreter-like user-friendly front end
for Suns called Publisher. Is there any such beast for the
AMIGA? How much is AmigaTeX?

--
 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-6848
 Room 256 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (04/30/88)

I have just started playing around with a demo version of The Publisher.  (The
demo is a full-blown version, except that you cannot save the files you edit.)

It's a beautiful program.  But it took a considerable amount of time just to
start up on a Sun-3/160 (the software was on an Eagle NFSed from a VAX-785,
over an unloaded Ethernet).  You need at least 10 megabytes, if I recall, for
the main part -- more if you want options, such as TeX & LaTeX conversion
facilities.

If ArborText could indeed make one fit on an Amiga, my current dilemma of
choosing machines for the department office would be resolved.  But...

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,ihnp4}!nucsrl!gore

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (05/05/88)

In article <796@ur-cvsvax.UUCP> jea@ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Joanne Albano) writes:
|There is a TeX interpreter-like user-friendly front end
|for Suns called Publisher. Is there any such beast for the
|AMIGA? How much is AmigaTeX?

There sure has been a lot of talk about AmigaTeX lately.  A *brief* summary:
[well, I *tried* to keep it brief]

AmigaTeX is an implementation of Donald Knuth's TeX typesetting package, a
document compiler that runs on machines from IBM mainframes to Unix boxes to
CDCs to PCs to, yes, the Amiga.  Drivers are available to get output on
everything from APS phototypesetters to laser printers to dot-matrix printers
to, yes, the Amiga screen.  It is available in source form for `free' for only
$100, or $120 for Unix.  Commercial implementations for PC run around $500,
and those for the Mac around $800 (I mention this only for perspective).

It is *not* a wysiwyg (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) package; it is more like
TROFF or SCRIBE or SCRIPT:  The input file is plain ASCII and contains control
sequences to do things.  The TeX language is very powerful; Tom Rokicki has
a "towers of hanoi" program written in TeX, for example ('though I wouldn't
really recommend chucking your C compiler in favor of TeX).  With the LaTeX
macro package, you can get automatic section numbering, table of contents,
cross-references, &c.  With a simple program called "texidx" and LaTeX you can
also get automatic indices.  TeX does automatic justification and line-breaking,
including a *superb* algorithm for hyphenating words automatically.  For long
documents (as opposed to one-page flyers), all this is really much better than
wysiwyg.  For one-page things, I must admit that wysiwyg is better, though I
now use TeX for everything ('cause I know it).

TeX is also absolutely state-of-the-art for typesetting mathematics.  If you
set lots of math, you want TeX.  Period.

The AmigaTeX implementation is indisputably one of the best ports ever done,
for any machine (this sentiment is not just mine).  Tomas Rokicki, besides
being a leading light of the Amiga world (he's filled a number of Fish disks
by himself) is also prominent in the TeX world, having invented the ".pk"
format for storing TeX fonts and pioneered the TeX-in-C effort (which you
may be running even now on your Unix system, if you've just gotten a very
recent port tape, and stuff runs scads faster).  [disclaimer:  if any of this
is exagerated, an embarressed Tom will post a correction shortly, no doubt.]

It is *basically* a traditional implementation, but Tom has added an ARexx
communication port between the AmigaTeX and the (included) previewer.  This
allows the previewer to instantaneously display pages from AmigaTeX without
having to wait for the document to finish.  By moving the previewer window
from a custom screen to the workbench screen and using something like "conman"
while running TeX, you can get formulae or custom symbols built by combining
existing symbols "just right" with instantaneous feedback.  It's not quite
as cute as the equation editor in the Publisher, but it is nearly as useful.
Also, AmigaTeX will understand all of the Amiga characters.  This makes the
input rather more pleasant if, like me, you have occaison to use diacritical
marks fairly often. (I am secretary of the local Baha'i public information
office, and lots of words relating to my Faith take diacriticals.)

It sells for $200 for AmigaTeX + $100 for each printer-driver you get.
The $200 includes TeX, the previewer, previewer fonts, LaTeX, AMSTeX, initex,
and all the macro source files.  It is distributed on 10 disks.

It is usuable on a one-drive, 2-meg Amiga (I used it that way for over a
year), a two-drive, 1-meg machine, or a 1-meg machine with a hard disk.
It *can* be used with a 512k machine, but I wouldn't recommend it; without
at least 1 meg, you can't run the LaTeX macro package, and without LaTeX,
I find TeX pretty unpleasent to use.  You will be missing only two things
for the $300 above:  A book to describe TeX itself (available at your local
B. Dalton), and "texidx" (the automatic indexing program I mentioned above).
I will be happy to send "texidx" (excutable and/or source, for the Amiga)
and the style-file I use with it to anybody who needs it.  I need to get
around to telling Tom; he'll probably be happy to include it on the standard
TeX distribution.

To order:
Tomas Rokicki / Radical Eye Software / Box 2081 / Stanford, CA   94309

He's got an electronic address, too, but I don't remember the address and
doubt that it matters since everything I send to him seems to get sucked
into a black hole.

DISCLAIMER:  I am a long-term TeX fan.  A year and a half ago, when I
decided to buy a home computer, I looked around to find the best TeX engine
for the least money I could find.  I therefore bought an Amiga so I could
get the machine that ran AmigaTeX.  I've never regretted that decision.
This is my only connection with AmigaTeX and Tom Rokicki.  ALSO: He has
dropped his former distribution comany (n^2).  If you gave up on AmigaTeX
due to distribution problems, try again.
--
                                                         --Brian.
(Brian T. Schellenberger)				 ...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts

. . . now at 2400 baud, so maybe I'll stop bothering to flame long includes.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (05/05/88)

I want to second all the nice things Brian said about AmigaTeX.

I *do* use it on a 512K 2 floppy machine, and tho there are limitations
am quite happy.  It is true that you cannot run LaTeX, but those new
to TeX should know that TeX vs. LaTeX (a huge set of macros built on top
of Plain TeX)             that this is one of those religious issues---sort
of like C (==TeX) vs. Ada (==LaTeX).  8-) 8-) 8-)  I don't mean to start
a TeX war.  LaTeX is really pretty good.

One caveat.  I don't have the *latest* version of AmigaTeX.  Maybe it has
become a little bigger and doesn't fit on a 512 machine so well.  (I have
about 356K free when I run it, and that drops to about 17K during
the run.)

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/06/88)

In article <493@sas.UUCP> bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) writes:
>There sure has been a lot of talk about AmigaTeX lately.  A *brief* summary:
>[well, I *tried* to keep it brief]

It's hard to be brief about something so good.......

>The AmigaTeX implementation is indisputably one of the best ports ever done,
>for any machine (this sentiment is not just mine).

It is, in my opinion, much better than the environemnt available on the
Sun.  This is primarily because the previewer will start viewing page 1 as
soon as TeX is done processing it---that is, *while* TeX is still churning
on the rest of the document.  It fully utilizes the machine's
multitasking.

>The $200 includes TeX, the previewer, previewer fonts, LaTeX, AMSTeX, initex,
>and all the macro source files.  It is distributed on 10 disks.

Something very important that you left out of that list:  BibTeX.  This is
a separate program, much like IdxTeX is separate, that makes doing
bibliographies almost trivial.  This is essential to anyone working on a
serious paper (like a doctoral dissertation).  It's still verion .98i, but
Tom said he would work on getting the latest version (.99c) working (he
may even have done it already).

The publication of the TeX User's Group, called TUGBoat, has an article
about AmigaTeX in the most recent issue (volume 9 number 1) written by Tom
Rokicki himself.  "The Commodore Amiga:  A magic TeX machine", pp 40--41.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

Disclaimer, disclaimer, etc.  I'm just a satisfied customer, etc.

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/17/88)

I concur with all the good things said about AmigaTeX and would like to add
that the support from Tom has been better than support for any other software
I own.

In article <671@thalia.rice.edu>, phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
> Something very important that you left out of that list:  BibTeX.
                                                            ^^^^^^
Is there any hope a BibTeX that will work with AMSTeX? I got to have AMSTeX
for my papers.
Does anybody know of spelling checkers that will eat TeX source? I was going
to hack MicroSpell (Fish 101) but would rather not reinvent the wheel. The
catch is that of course, it should not cry wolf at $MU_*(\Omega_0SO(n))$.

 Disclaimer, disclaimer, etc.  I'm just a satisfied customer, etc.

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (05/17/88)

In article <523@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>I concur with all the good things said about AmigaTeX and would like to add
>that the support from Tom has been better than support for any other software
>I own.
>
>In article <671@thalia.rice.edu>, phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>> Something very important that you left out of that list:  BibTeX.
>                                                            ^^^^^^
>Is there any hope a BibTeX that will work with AMSTeX? I got to have AMSTeX
>for my papers.
>Does anybody know of spelling checkers that will eat TeX source? I was going
>to hack MicroSpell (Fish 101) but would rather not reinvent the wheel. The
>catch is that of course, it should not cry wolf at $MU_*(\Omega_0SO(n))$.

I'm working on porting a program that will remove all TeX specific commands.
The resulting file should be clean enough to be passed through any
spellchecker.  I'll post it when I finish it.

> Disclaimer, disclaimer, etc.  I'm just a satisfied customer, etc.

					-+= SAM =+-

"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

rokicki@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (05/17/88)

> Does anybody know of spelling checkers that will eat TeX source?

I'm working on that, along with index generation and dvidvi, as a
freebie to be available in a month or so . . .

Many thanks for all the kind words, guys!

-tom
--
    /-- Tomas Rokicki         ///  Box 2081  Stanford, CA  94309
   / o  Radical Eye Software ///                  (415) 326-5312

garyo@masscomp.UUCP (Gary Oberbrunner) (05/18/88)

In article <523@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
:Does anybody know of spelling checkers that will eat TeX source? I was going
:to hack MicroSpell (Fish 101) but would rather not reinvent the wheel. The
:catch is that of course, it should not cry wolf at $MU_*(\Omega_0SO(n))$.
:

We have a program here at Masscomp called delatex; I think it came with the C
TeX distribution.  I think (I'll have to check on copyrights) that I could
mail it to you or post it if there was enough demand.
It removes all TeX and LaTeX constructs and acts as a filter, so you can then
spell-check the result.  I've used it for a couple of papers, and it seems to
work fine.  Mail to me at ...!{harvard,ulowell,uunet,allegra}!masscomp!garyo.

					As always,

					Gary
Remember,			Truth is not beauty;      (617)692-6200x2445
Information is not knowledge;	Beauty is not love;	  Gary   Oberbrunner
Knowledge is not wisdom;	Love is not music;	  ...!masscomp!garyo
Wisdom is not truth;		Music is the best. - FZ   ....garyo@masscomp
--
Remember,			Truth is not beauty;                   x2445