[comp.sys.amiga] PopCLI

ahinds@hvrunix.UUCP (Alexander Hinds) (04/10/88)

	I found a copy of PopCli on one of my disks, but I'm clueless
to what it does, or how do get it to work.  Could somebody mail me some
instructions?
	Also, are REZ, wIconify, and shell2.07 all available on fish
disks?  This is the only way for me to get pd software, as I don't yet
have a modem.  If not, could I send somebody a disk and a self-stamped and
adressed envelope, and have them send it back to me?  I really would
appreciate it.  I thank anybody in advance.

					Sincerely,
						Alexander Hinds

BITNET:A_HINDS@HVRFORD
USENET:ahinds@hvrford

James_E_Gary@cup.portal.com (04/14/88)

PopCli is a utility written by John Toebes a long time ago. Latest version
I have seen is III. If you have III, it will detach itself, otherwise 'run'
it. When you press the left amiga and the escape keys you will get a new
cli window. Also contains an extremely logical screen blanker. Screen returns
at any key press or mouse movement. Great program. I wouldn't be without it.

malc@tahoe.unr.edu (Malcolm L. Carlock) (05/14/88)

I may be missing something obvious here, BUT . . .

I have installed in my ASDG-RAM (vd0:) the following:

	NewCLI
	CLI
	EndCLI
	CLI.info

VD0: is the second name in my search path, after "current directory".

Up till now, whenever I click on the CLI icon in VD0:, I get a disk requester
for WorkBench if WorkBench is not currently in a drive.

A friend advised me to start using PopCLI.  I dutifully installed PopCLI in
my WorkBench C: directory, and placed into my startup-sequence the following
line:

	run popcli 300 newcli >nil:

This allows PopCLI to run fine, AS LONG AS WORKBENCH IS INSERTED!!
I also tried

	run popcli 300 vd0:newcli >nil:

which also works fine, AS LONG AS WORKBENCH IS INSERTED!!  If WorkBench is
not in a drive, I still get the *&*$#$@&!% system requester!

However, if I type "newcli" in a CLI window, whether WorkBench is inserted or
not, I get a new CLI window with no problem.  But just try getting it from
the icon in VD0 or via PopCLI, and no soap!

Why can't I bring up a CLI window from the WB screen or using PopCLI without
having the &*&^*&#^$# WB disk inserted?

Thanks.

Malcolm L. Carlock
malc@tahoe.unr.edu.UUCP		       University of Nevada, Reno

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/18/88)

In article <1298@tahoe.unr.edu> malc@tahoe.unr.edu (Malcolm L. Carlock) writes:
>[]
>I have installed in my ASDG-RAM (vd0:) the following:
>
>	NewCLI
>	CLI
>	EndCLI
>	CLI.info
>
>VD0: is the second name in my search path, after "current directory".
>
>Up till now, whenever I click on the CLI icon in VD0:, I get a disk requester
>for WorkBench if WorkBench is not currently in a drive.

The Workbench CLI program uses the AmigaDOS Execute() function as the
final step in opening a new cli.  The AmigaDOS execute function requires
the RUN command, and it only tries to loadseg it as C:RUN.

i.e. - whatever directory you have C: assigned to MUST contain the RUN
command or the Workbench CLI (and other CLI creaters) will not work.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180